[REMOVE ADS]

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    I keep forgetting to mention, the prelude to 'Forever Came Today' contained in 'Dream Girl' at 1:13-1:19 caught my ear.
    And the intro notes for Marvin' 'All The Way' that were later revived for the Supremes' 'My Favorite Things'.

One more question for Keith:
    Is there an alternate recording/vocal of 'This Is Why [[I Gave My Love To You)' in the vaults in which Gladys does not break into falsetto?

Quote Originally Posted by Fourtopsbiggestfan View Post
    WHEN YOU'RE SMILING-On Ed Sullivan
    The BREATHING THROUGH and ON BROADWAY album. Probably could've done without QUIET NIGHTS OF QUIET STARS, BLUSETTE from ON TOP.
    thanks !
    I couldn't find those on you tube , so here's:

Very nice.
    I sort of hear Johnny Mathis herein but with five times the power.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    thanks !
    I couldn't find those on you tube , so here's:

Very nice.
    I sort of hear Johnny Mathis herein but with five times the power.
    I just posted them.
    https://youtu.be/IeE_0AJZJIg

Im bumping this thread up because....

1. This amazing and vast selection of tracks seems to have been issued with a whimper and hasn't received the attention it deserves. [[that's the power of download only music!)

2. I'm wondering if this will become a physical release, as the '66 box set. I hope so as I won't buy it as digital. Has anyone heard anything on the grapevine about this becoming a CD set?

I've definitely been waiting for a CD release. The CD release news has gone completely silent.

Keith when is this out in the UK?

No info on a physical release on MU67 at the moment. I did ask UMG about this quite recently. My guess is that the chances are good, but I stress that's my personal guess.

But it's more than a guess that there'll be another Ace/Motown CD in a few months' time, if that's any consolation ... I'm working on the essay at the moment ...

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    No info on a physical release on MU67 at the moment. I did ask UMG about this quite recently. My guess is that the chances are good, but I stress that's my personal guess.

But it's more than a guess that there'll be another Ace/Motown CD in a few months' time, if that's any consolation ... I'm working on the essay at the moment ...
    Thank you for the updates. Guess it's too early to say what the next ACE release is or hints🤗🤗🤗

1967 CD much later in the year I suspect - around the same time as a digital unreleased 1968 if last year is anything to go by. Hmm Unreleased 1968 - now that's something to speculate on eh?

Would be great if the next ACE Boys release included the early mono versions of "The Tears Of A Clown" by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles and "Without The One You Love [[Life's Not Worthwhile)" from those Four Tops. But perhaps we're due a single artist set next. Can't wait either way.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    1967 CD much later in the year I suspect - around the same time as a digital unreleased 1968 if last year is anything to go by. Hmm Unreleased 1968 - now that's something to speculate on eh?
    I was already thinking about UNRELEASED 1968 too. Talk about jumping the gun.☺️☺️☺️

Been worrying 'bout MU68.

About 75% of the Motown-mixed tracks that would be candidates for this release are mono. They were just intended for evaluation: if they'd been selected for LP release, they'd have been re-mixed to stereo. By 1968, Motown was releasing all albums in stereo [[though a few were also released as promos in mono).

If we get budget for mixing again, should we make the previously unmixed tracks mono or stereo?

Looking forward to some strongly expressed views ...

I'd say stereo Keith, given the points you make.

[[I'd love to have some of the unmixed tracks from previous compilations that were mixed to mono for the respective sets they were on in stereo - maybe that chance will come if they are ever issued on another compilation in the future).

And it's interesting to note that quite a few of the 45 mono mixes issued from mid to late 67 [[IIRC) where actually fold downs of the stereo mixes.

[[Of course, there were examples from before, but the DM codes never had the M or S included until about mid 1966).

Cheers

Paul

My preference has always been for stereo but the TCMS series and other more modern mono mixes have been excellent. Being greedy [[and especially since they'll be a download set initially), I'd really welcome both mono and stereo versions please. That is dependent on the quantity of 1968 Unreleased that may be available - I wouldn't want to miss anything by having both mixes. If there's only one option, yes I would go for stereo every time even if it turns out a bit dearer.

i always prefer the rawness of the mono mixes...the stereo mixes always seem to lack that Motown punch.

Keith, what are the cost implications if any of releasing mono versus stereo? Does it have any ramifications on the projected profitability and viability of the project?

regards

Mike

I love me some stereo! And although some of the early Motown stuff does sound a bit odd in stereo, by 1968 it's all good. In general I'd say stereo has a fuller, more engaging sound. Mono to me just makes the track feel and sound 'old'.

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    i always prefer the rawness of the mono mixes...the stereo mixes always seem to lack that Motown punch.
    Don't forget though, the question of mono or stereo only applies to tracks earmarked for MUR 68 that have never been mixed, and exist only on the multitrack session tapes.

So, should they be mixed to mono [[as was the case for the previous volumes) or stereo for the up and coming 1968 release?

I say stereo!

Cheers

Paul

Thanks all so far. No cost difference in mono v stereo. There is a question of whether there's budget for doing ANY mixing ... but there has been for the last few years. And of course a q of whether it gets done at all! - it's not on any schedule yet, but that doesn't usually happen until Q3.

I think the Unreleased sets should stay mono until stereo becomes the norm [[early 70s) - and I mean "big centre" stereo, not "drums tucked away in one channel" wide 60s stereo.

As a regular listener via headphones, I dislike wide 1960s stereo in general but particularly for rhythmic, driving material. I also dislike when a set alternates between mono and stereo for material of the same era - it makes a fractured listening experience.

I believe the Brenda Holloway Unreleased tracks were in mono on the respective V/A sets and in stereo on the recent Brenda Holloway CD. I think that's a good compromise.

I was disappointed to find out that the recently announced Chuck Jackson "Best of the Wand Years" set that features mono mixes for all but two tracks will only be released on LP. It puts in perspective how lucky we are as Motown fans to have such choice - from single/double disc compilations, to boxsets, to expanded editions of classic albums - each type featuring mono and/or stereo mixes of beloved songs alongside previously unreleased tracks. We have the choice of multiple formats in many cases. I know many of us are grateful for that.

...a couple of years on, and...

has anything come to light in the intervening time to say definitively who the vocalist is on "nothing for nothing", as surely that is not Junior?