[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson's Detroit Story, Unfiltered!

A Supreme diva revisits the Brewster Projects where the dream began

http://www.theneighborhoods.org/stor...ory-unfiltered

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    A Supreme diva revisits the Brewster Projects where the dream began

http://www.theneighborhoods.org/stor...ory-unfiltered
    Hopefully Otis doesn’t read this! All the Tempts are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Yep. I wonder if Diana every goes back to Detroit, to where it all started. Duke and Martha [[briefly in the 70s) have never left and Stevie, like Mary always comes home.

Great interview. Very real. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Great interview. Very real. Thanks!
    You are welcome. I especially liked the part where the interviewer remembers helping Mary into a cab when she lived in Detroit and he was just a kid.

I sincerely hope Aretha Franklin never reads this interview. She'd be up all night faxing testimonies of derision and scorn for Miss Wilson to every number of every news organization in her rolodex.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You are welcome. I especially liked the part where the interviewer remembers helping Mary into a cab when she lived in Detroit and he was just a kid.
    Did you read it or scan it. The interviewer Aaron Foley is barely 50 years old lol. It wasnt the interviewer that helped her into a cab darn near 60 years ago it was "a security guard watching over the rec center"
    Last edited by Roberta75; 10-10-2017 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Mary has got to do better than that. I realize she's up in age where, for some, the facts escape the mind from time to time, but that was a huge mistake with Otis still very much alive and performing as much as she does.

At first I wasn't buying the guard's story. Mary Wilson wearing a dress with a train in the projects heading for a gig? The Supremes weren't wearing anything that fancy in the Brewster days. Then I remembered for Mary and Diana the Brewster days were as late as early 1965, so Mary very well could have been in something that nice on her way to a gig [[20 Grand perhaps? One of the ballrooms?) out of the projects. Lol Those are the stories I want to hear. It would be great if someone undertook a project of Supreme memories from the old neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Mary has got to do better than that. I realize she's up in age where, for some, the facts escape the mind from time to time, but that was a huge mistake with Otis still very much alive and performing as much as she does.

Mary gives so many interviews that the info contained in them is seldom new, and often repetitious. But I enjoyed this interview. It was different and had a different slant.

After reading the above posts about her Otis mistake, I went back and read the quote.

Who do you miss from Motown?

I miss my Motown friends, that was like family. So many of them have passed, you know. Eddie Kendricks [[of The Temptations)all of the Temps, actually. Paul, Eddie. And then some of the Tops. I miss them all, because we really were like family.

It’s a shame because the groups, there are no more groups. It’s all individuals now. It’s kind of sad.

The three red dots in the quote indicate that her statement was edited. She said something else where the red dots are and they were edited out. With Mary's enthusiasm, she sometimes exagerates or fudges the truth. Most of us do that. I am confident that Mary is aware that Otis is still alive and she made no mistake here. Her whole statement was edited poorly, and the final edit makes it sound like she thinks that all the Temps have passed.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post

Her whole statement was edited poorly, and the final edit makes it sound like she thinks that all the Temps have passed.
    Yes, this very well could be what happened. Sometimes the editing of articles leaves much to be desired. If one didn't already know Mary's family history, that part where she talks about going to live with her mother would be very confusing.

I read it differently. I think what she meant is that she missed all of the Temps who have passed ... Not that she thinks ALL of the Temps had passed.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    I read it differently. I think what she meant is that she missed all of the Temps who have passed ... Not that she thinks ALL of the Temps had passed.
    Yes, that is what she meant and probably said. But the editing of her comment makes it easy to misinterpret what she meant . The edited quote sounds like she is saying "So many of the Temptations have passed, all of them, actually".

So many of them have passed, you know. Eddie Kendricks [[of The Temptations)…all of the Temps, actually.

Mary performed on the same show with Otis' Temptations on August 24, 2017 at Coney Island. She is aware that he is still with us. They are friends.