[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Did you ever hear her live Jazz CD/DVD? Excellent and a standards album would be perfect for her. Check this out:

Constitution Hall? For anyone that thinks Mary can’t sing Love Child check out her Constituition Hall performance of Love Child. Strong voice.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Constitution Hall? For anyone that thinks Mary can’t sing Love Child check out her Constituition Hall performance of Love Child. Strong voice.
    Mary can sing just about anything........

I saw in that promo clip Susaye doing "High Energy" which tells me they are ready to move in the right direction and they are not kidding around. Scherrie and Susaye are vocal stylists of the highest order and can still bring it. I would hope that they would leave most of the leads of the Old Supremes material to Joyce Vincent because I believe her voice sounds best on them out of the three.
    Performing together a few years ago in L.A. Scherrie and Susaye were dynamite! Both are in great vocal condition. Joyce was on background at that show. This new trio, with a tightly rehearsed show, should be fantastic.

with regards to Flos. I am surprised that Susaye wasn't back in the group sooner. I never knew who Freddie Poole was, no disrespect intended but it just seemed like a natural thing to bring Cindy B back or Susaye.
    but I also thought it was strange Mary didn't invite Florence back into the group.
    welcome back Susaye.nice to see you

Not to rehash another old topic, but I think even if Mary had invited Flo back, Motown would have said hell no.
    Back to topic, I would love to see them do He Aint Heavy. I always thought Susaye dis a great job with that song

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I guess the US has gotten more like the way Europe was for years - that even performers who don't have recording contracts can still perform for a living for years beyond their most "commercial" periods. I mean in the past, this was more common in Europe. So many American artists emigrated there. Didn't Edwin Starr and Jimmy Ruffin both live in the UK or Europe? And many others kept their careers going by touring over there, I think.

Of course it's good these ladies can still sing the way they do and hopefully they love live performing as much as they seem to. But I'm so much more used to recorded rather than live music that I just always want an album that seems more permanent.
    I know what you mean in regards to classic artists having to work in Europe and other foreign markets to make a good living. What many are overlooking is the Great White North.......Canada! It would cost them less to travel and everyone there already knows there songs.

A compromise could be made for folks that prefer recordings vs live performances, but they would have to walk that line [[no pun intended) carefully. I was thinking producing a live DVD of their full show and sell after their shows.

I know what you mean in regards to classic artists having to work in Europe and other foreign markets to make a good living. What many are overlooking is the Great White North.......Canada! It would cost them less to travel and everyone there already knows there songs.

A compromise could be made for folks that prefer recordings vs live performances, but they would have to walk that line [[no pun intended) carefully. I was thinking producing a live DVD of their full show and sell after their shows.
    I thought that today the cost of self-producing a music CD was something many independent artists could do without label support. I wonder why more don't do it.

When I saw Scherrie and Susaye in their first engagement in LA a few years ago, I think one of the backup singers was selling her own CD out front. I can't remember who it was, but don't think it was Joyce Vincent. Of course Vincent is a highly regarded singer in her own right but I don't know if many people recognize her as "the quiet one" from Tony Orlando & Dawn.

@Marv2, does Mary sell her CDs at her concerts? I don't remember if she was doing that when I saw her some time ago.

Kenneth, it was Pam Vincent who had copies of her CD "Pamela Sings The Classics" available after both of Scherrie & Susaye's shows in L.A.

I thought that today the cost of self-producing a music CD was something many independent artists could do without label support. I wonder why more don't do it.

When I saw Scherrie and Susaye in their first engagement in LA a few years ago, I think one of the backup singers was selling her own CD out front. I can't remember who it was, but don't think it was Joyce Vincent. Of course Vincent is a highly regarded singer in her own right but I don't know if many people recognize her as "the quiet one" from Tony Orlando & Dawn.

@Marv2, does Mary sell her CDs at her concerts? I don't remember if she was doing that when I saw her some time ago.
    Yes, Mary does sell her CD's at her concerts. Years ago she sold her self produced "I Am Changing" CD......tons of them. They would put out stacks of them in the lobbys and during Mary's meet and greets people would scoop them up. Some would have her autograph them. About 5-6 years ago she started selling the Up Close Live Jazz CD and DVD at her shows. The person I remember selling their own self produced CD was Prince. He began selling his online. Martha Reeves for years have sold her own "Home to You" CD's at her shows. As many shows as these ladies perform each year, they sell a substantial amount that no one outside of their management can truly put a count to.

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    Kenneth, it was Pam Vincent who had copies of her CD "Pamela Sings The Classics" available after both of Scherrie & Susaye's shows in L.A.
    That's right! Did you buy it?

I was trying to remember, did they have backup singers at that first concert? They must have and I guess it must have been Pam [[along with Joyce) Vincent?

Who was the other backup singer at Vitello's in addition to Joyce? Was that also Pam?

I was trying to remember, did they have backup singers at that first concert? They must have and I guess it must have been Pam [[along with Joyce) Vincent?

Who was the other backup singer at Vitello's in addition to Joyce? Was that also Pam?
    Don't they still work sometimes with Jim Gilstrap?

Yes, Mary does sell her CD's at her concerts. Years ago she sold her self produced "I Am Changing" CD......tons of them. They would put out stacks of them in the lobbys and during Mary's meet and greets people would scoop them up. Some would have her autograph them. About 5-6 years ago she started selling the Up Close Live Jazz CD and DVD at her shows. The person I remember selling their own self produced CD was Prince. He began selling his online. Martha Reeves for years have sold her own "Home to You" CD's at her shows. As many shows as these ladies perform each year, they sell a substantial amount that no one outside of their management can truly put a count to.
    Thanks for the info. I forgot about Prince, probably the best example of someone who sold their music their own way. What a loss his death was...it's almost 2 years ago isn't it and hardly any of his music has come out and none of the rare stuff except what they put on the deluxe reissue of "Purple Rain."

Yes, I bought a copy after each of the two shows [[one was for a friend). Pam has a very nice voice as a solo artist. As I recall Pam and Joyce did the background at both shows. Now that Susaye is and official F.L.O. they can include Scherrie & Susaye material as part of the act. I hope Susaye continues to sing "Alfie".

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    Yes, I bought a copy after each of the two shows [[one was for a friend). Pam has a very nice voice as a solo artist. As I recall Pam and Joyce did the background at both shows. Now that Susaye is and official F.L.O. they can include Scherrie & Susaye material as part of the act. I hope Susaye continues to sing "Alfie".
    As I think I posted at the time, when I heard Susaye do "Alfie," I ended up thinking, Dionne Who? Her performance of "My Funny Valentine" is also stunning.

A lot of New Birth fans will remember "Until Its Time To Go" but many have no idea that a Supreme actually lead that song. I am feeling some new things from this group. Including Scherrie's "Crumbs Off The Table" with Glasshouse and "I Found Another Love" from Partners that actually has Joyce in the background.

I'm over the moon seeing Scherrie, Susaye, and Joyce together. It's great that they're finally performing Supremes music together after 40 years. Lynda will be successful with whatever she does, and I hope this new incarnation leads to more tour dates. I had given up on ever being able to see Scherrie perform live, but now who knows?

I'm also excited about this new lineup. Wishing Lynda and Scherrie, Susaye and Joyce all the best. They sound fantastic in the new video promo. Hope to see them in Canada sometime soon. I have yet to see the FLOS live in concert.

I saw SLF twice at Sunset Juction. They were good but I was very dissappointed. The only 70s songs they sang were Stoned Love and Up The Ladder.Scherrie recorded many songs and was the original lead on them and sang none of them. Here's hoping that SSJ will include much of the material originally recorded by MSS. Hint[[Let Yourself Go. Where Do I Go From Here High Energy Sweet Dream Machine

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I'm also excited about this new lineup. Wishing Lynda and Scherrie, Susaye and Joyce all the best. They sound fantastic in the new video promo. Hope to see them in Canada sometime soon. I have yet to see the FLOS live in concert.
    I strongly recommend that all of the classic artist, Motown and in general look to Canada for more bookings.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantellor View Post
    I saw SLF twice at Sunset Juction. They were good but I was very dissappointed. The only 70s songs they sang were Stoned Love and Up The Ladder.Scherrie recorded many songs and was the original lead on them and sang none of them. Here's hoping that SSJ will include much of the material originally recorded by MSS. Hint[[Let Yourself Go. Where Do I Go From Here High Energy Sweet Dream Machine
    Amen to that!

welcome back Susaye.
    I also hope they include more 70s material
    sweet dream machine would be nice.....gonna let my heart....

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    A lot of New Birth fans will remember "Until Its Time To Go" but many have no idea that a Supreme actually lead that song.
    I'm not a big fan of Susaye's voice [[nothing against it, I'm just typically not a fan of those really high pitched voices, though there are some exceptions), but to me the vocal of her life was "Until It's Time For You to Go". I love that more than anything she did as a Supreme. Easily. Hope she decides to add that to the show.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Sherrie,Susaye and Joyce.
    This was supposed to be the next lineup of the Supremes after Mary left the group if the group were allowed to continue. It took forty years for the grouping to finally happen.

Attachment 13534
    Oh really? Now I didn't know that...

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Oh really? Now I didn't know that...
    Yep. I still have somewhere a photo all three posed for in early 1978. I can't remember now if it was taken before or after Motown said "no more Supremes".

Yep. I still have somewhere a photo all three posed for in early 1978. I can't remember now if it was taken before or after Motown said "no more Supremes".
    I see... I guess, Motown was like "no original members, no Supremes?"

I think so. I've heard both Mary and Diana were neg on the idea too. In the end I'm glad the group ended once Mary, a founding member, was gone, but it did kind of suck for Scherrie and Susaye not to be able to build on their short time as Supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I think so. I've heard both Mary and Diana were neg on the idea too. In the end I'm glad the group ended once Mary, a founding member, was gone, but it did kind of suck for Scherrie and Susaye not to be able to build on their short time as Supremes.
    . I thought that both Mary and Diane went to Berry and said no more Sups. They must have talked abt it.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    . I thought that both Mary and Diane went to Berry and said no more Sups. They must have talked abt it.
    That's what I heard. They may have spoken about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantellor View Post
    hi Zantellor, nice to see you posting. Just saying hi.

Apparently, that was the case. At the time we did not know that was the decision. I remember looking forward to the "New Supremes" with Scherrie, Susaye and Joyce". It was a very confusing with so many potential Supremes. First you had the polls out in the Spring of '77 about who should replace Mary. Then you had the Farewell Show. Next up you had Mary, Cindy and Debbie going to South America. A few months later Mary was going to England with Karen Ragland and Karen Jackson. All this while the Scherrie and Susaye group was in limbo. Then I saw a picture of Scherrie, Susaye and Joyce posed in casual clothes announcing Joyce as their pick to replace Mary and then 1979 came. LOL!