[REMOVE ADS]

The supremes and the temptations TCB Valley Forge Aug 1972

Listening to it, it has to be one of the most poorly rehearsed and performed numbers by the band and The Temptations. The Supremes know the number and sound fine. The brass section of the band misses note after note as though they have had no rehearsal—let alone sheet music. As for the Tempts, it’s very possible that they hadn’t sung that song since August 1968 [[4 busy years) but they didn’t seem to know when their vocal cues indicated they should be singing and a time or two they were singing the wrong things. The Tempts are amazing, so I’m not trying to imply, “they suck!” but they were not at their best in this opening number. As for the band, I give them no excuse. They were embarrassing to both groups.

Aside from a few flubs, this sounds much better than the performance on the girls' LIVE IN JAPAN album.

How did the Supremes without Diana Ross retain top billing?

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    Listening to it, it has to be one of the most poorly rehearsed and performed numbers by the band and The Temptations. The Supremes know the number and sound fine. The brass section of the band misses note after note as though they have had no rehearsal—let alone sheet music. As for the Tempts, it’s very possible that they hadn’t sung that song since August 1968 [[4 busy years) but they didn’t seem to know when their vocal cues indicated they should be singing and a time or two they were singing the wrong things. The Tempts are amazing, so I’m not trying to imply, “they suck!” but they were not at their best in this opening number. As for the band, I give them no excuse. They were embarrassing to both groups.
    Keep in mind that most of the people singing here were not in their respective groups when they first performed "TCB" back in 1968.

I’m fine with how the tempts sound, but I’m thrilled at jml - they are superb!

and marvs point above - sad, isn’t it? Especially when you consider just a year before the original broadcast that both groups were fully intact....

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    How did the Supremes without Diana Ross retain top billing?
    I saw this show but at Shady Grove Music Fair. The Temptations had top billing. I can also say the the "souvenir program" was actually an 8"x10" color photo of The Temptations in a cardboard frame with a black & white photo of The Supremes glued to the opposite side.

Name:  Temptations-Supremes.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  12.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I’m fine with how the tempts sound, but I’m thrilled at jml - they are superb!

and marvs point above - sad, isn’t it? Especially when you consider just a year before the original broadcast that both groups were fully intact....
    Are you saying you like the live in Japan? I still not sure if it is the content or their sound that caused me tuck it away.

I saw this show at The Westbury Music Fair. It was not good

What was specifically wrong with it, Zantellor?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantellor View Post
    I saw this show at The Westbury Music Fair. It was not good
    I loved it when I saw it at Shady Grove. The Supremes seemed to have a lot of fun, and I got to be the "You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You" guy [[thank you, Jean, who picked me after the first guy wouldn't stand up). The Temptations were hot! I had never seen them before and they were fantastic. The thing about these theatres is that they are in the round, but both groups seemed to use that well. I, too, would be interested in what you thought was not good.

I saw this show at the Westbury Music Fair. It was not very good

The Supremes openned with the Temps withTCB. I was not impressed as I saw The Supremes 4 or 5 times after Diana exited. They seemed to be going in a new direction and evolving into a new group with roots in the original Supremes tradition, which was great. The shows I saw prior to this one included The Suoremes 1960s hits .However much new material was added to the show. [[Mc Arthur Park Love Story. a great rendition of Little Green Apples. that highlighted the new group and featured all three in great harmony.At this show JML entered in those Pink feather sequin things from GIT. Jean seemed uncomfortable from the get go. Their set was basically the DRATS Farewell show with Stoned Love and Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love [[our latest single out on Motown). No Up The Ladder no Touch no Floy Joy. that was it for the 70s .Its strange that Jean called on you for YNTSLY as Lynda sang lead on it at Westbury.The show was not terrible but it certainly fell short of every show I saw with Jean prior. I knew that things were not going well.I sensed Jean was unhappy with the Diana Ross set and was not too happy wearing the old DRATS gowns. Something had to give. The Temps were good though,but I saw them do better many times
    Last edited by Zantellor; 10-05-2017 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantellor View Post
    The Supremes openned with the Temps withTCB. I was not impressed as I saw The Supremes 4 or 5 times after Diana exited. They seemed to be going in a new direction and evolving into a new group with roots in the original Supremes tradition, which was great. The shows I saw prior to this one included The Suoremes 1960s hits .However much new material was added to the show. [[Mc Arthur Park Love Story. a great rendition of Little Green Apples. that highlighted the new group and featured all three in great harmony.At this show JML entered in those Pink feather sequin things from GIT. Jean seemed uncomfortable from the get go. Their set was basically the DRATS Farewell show with Stoned Love and Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love [[our latest single out on Motown). No Up The Ladder no Touch no Floy Joy. that was it for the 70s .Its strange that Jean called on you for YNTSLY as Lynda sang lead on it at Westbury.The show was not terrible but it certainly fell short of every show I saw with Jean prior. I knew that things were not going well.I sensed Jean was unhappy with the Diana Ross set and was not too happy wearing the old DRATS gowns. Something had to give. The Temps were good though,but I saw them do better many times
    Actually you missed a few songs. They did do everybody's got the right to love and lean on me. But they did add too much of the old drats numbering

It was at this point Gil Askey was brought back and drug out the old Farewell charts. Jean was not happy at this point. In rehearsals, she refused to sing "Love Child" saying something to the effect of "I'm not singing her song." So it was taken out. She also refused to do the speaking parts in "Love Is Here And Now You're Gone."

It is unfortunate that at this point in Jean's tenure with The Supremes Gil Askey brought out old charts which were done basically for Diana Ross. Jean was Diana Ross' replacement and Im sure she knew from the beginning that she would be singing the songs that Diana originally led on. That said Jean brought something new and exciting to the group and in the beginning it worked. JMC had the fans screaming and begging for more in Central Park in 70 and 71.I remember hearing people screaming Let Miss Ross take that etc etc. Anyway Jean;s unhappiness came through in her performance . I knew it and I think any real fan knew it too. I personally felt cheated as I came to see JML not JML doing DMC's farewell show. It was a step backwards . I do not blame Jean for leaving. Forcing her to do a show that was tailored for someone else was just not right nor fair.. No wonder she did not give it her all

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    It was at this point Gil Askey was brought back and drug out the old Farewell charts. Jean was not happy at this point. In rehearsals, she refused to sing "Love Child" saying something to the effect of "I'm not singing her song." So it was taken out. She also refused to do the speaking parts in "Love Is Here And Now You're Gone."
    Their shows in the 70s were much better [[except for the hits medley) once Teddy Harris took over as their music director.