[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Christmas

As we await the new Diana Ross & The Supremes Christmas Collection, which are the most comprehensive collections on each of the other artists?

Obviously there are many many releases, compilations and single artist collections, but which contain the best collection covering all, or almost all, of the available tracks for each artist?

Have seen an ultimate J5 set that has around 21 tracks - but does this cover all their Xmas output? What would be the best equivalent for each of the others - Tempts [[the 2fer perhaps?), Tops, Stevie etc etc?

It appears you need quite a few CDs to get everything in the best sound quality...

SMOKEY ROBINSON & THE MIRACLES : you need 3 CDs, and probably 2 downloads.
    "Our Very Best Christmas" is a remastered 1999 collection [[rereleased on the "20th century masters" series) that gives us 6 or 7 tracks from their "CHRISTMAS WITH THE MIRACLES" [[1963) lp, in a previously unreleased stereo mix.
    The cd also contains most of "The Season of Miracles" 1970 lp [[remastered).
    Now we still need both late 80s CDs to get the complete original albums. There's also the downloads which, to me, sound better than the old CDs [[for both albums). We still need the the remastered cd as it contains "Christmas Lullaby", not on the 2lps.

THE TEMPTATIONS:
    The cd "Best of Temptations Christmas" is the best sounding one, because remastered. And it contains most of "Christmas Card"[[1970) and "Give Love At Christmas" [[1980). It also contains a previously unreleased track from the 1980 sessions.
    As for the Miracles, we need the original 80s CDs to get everything. Note that the old 2fer is an alternate source that can make for the the late 80s CDs.
    As for the Miracles, the Temptations remastered cd was rerelease on the "20th century masters" series, and both original albums are available as downloads, and I guess that's the best source, although not available on a physical support.

JACKSON 5 : There's a definitive Christmas collection from 2009 I believe. Well... it lacks the complete intro to "Up On The House Top" so we still need the late 80s cd for the J5 CHRISTMAS ALBUM anyway!

STEVIE WONDER :
    The "20th Century Masters" cd is the best source and contains everything we need - except the mono mixes of the single "Someday at Christmas" which can be found on TCMS series.

We also need various artists Motown Cd compilations, each for various tracks :
    CHRISTMAS IN THE CITY [[1993)
    A MOTOWN CHRISTMAS CAROL [[Japan)
    A MOTOWN CHRISTMAS VOL.2
    KARAOKE - THE SINGING MACHINE Vol.18
    MOTOWN ULTIMATE CHRISTMAS [[which includes promo messages not found elsewhere)

Note that Stevie Wonder's 1977 Christmas version of the Supremes "Where Did Our Love Go" still has to appear on cd.

In the late 80s and early 90s, we should mention Christmas collections by BOYZ II MEN or 98° which are quite enjoyable CDs really.

A MOTOWN CHRITMAS [[I believe that's the title from 1989 or so has chritmas tracks sung as duets by the likes of Boyz II Men, Shanice, Stevie, Smokey it the Temptations. These are unavailable elsewhere.

The new SUPREMES should be the definitive collection for the group.

As I've done this from memory, I might miss a few CDs...

JB

Not forgetting the FOUR TOPS "Christmas Here With You" cd from 1999 and a very pleasant LIONEL RICHIE 2006 collection, although not on Motown, SOUNDS OF THE SEASON.

Plus some Stevie tracks recorded and released since 2000. Some very good [["I Love You More" or the new version of "Someday at Christmas") and some which are simply painfully bad and quite unlistenable imho [["Merry Christmas Baby" comes to mind).

And not forgetting Diana's Hallmark chritmas cd, plus her A VERY SPECIAL SEASON collection.

JB

Thanks for the great [[and very extensive!) info, jb! I’m trying to make a Motown/Soul/Funk Christmas playlist and there is some stuff I can check out and maybe add!

Great info indeed JB - thank you for your insightful response. I kind of expected that there would need to be multiple sources per artist but you've provided food for thought.