[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson In Concert NYC------Brooklyn 2017!

Mama was doin' it!

"Reflections"

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    "Reflections"

. Damn Marv she sounds great. Boy, talk about a success story!

Yes she does. What I like is how the audience starts to sing along without her asking.

Berry was right !

He sure was..”the heart and soul of the Supremes!!” Thx Marv. Wonderful. When was this? The crowd loves her. She just keeps getting g better and better!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    He sure was..”the heart and soul of the Supremes!!” Thx Marv. Wonderful. When was this? The crowd loves her. She just keeps getting g better and better!
    It was August 24, 2017 Luke. The Mary is shaking those hips proves further that age is just a number! LOL!

I was not there. If Berry said she was the heart and soul, I will give her that. Berry also suggested she can't sing.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    I was not there. If Berry said she was the heart and soul, I will give her that. Berry also suggested she can't sing.
    A quote from Berry Gordy's autobiography 'To Be Loved' [[page 254)......"Mary didn't have the advantage of the unique voice that Diana had, but she was always in there pushing with her personality, sex appeal, acting ability and her own voice - which was good. Anytime she led a song or had a solo she attacked it with everything she had."

Further quote from page 379 of same book..."I thought of what a fighter and a survivor Mary Wilson was. She may not have been the lead singer, but in a sense she was the heart and soul of the Supremes. She had been the glue that kept the group and their legacy alive."

He also said to her at Motown 25 “You finally learned how to sing” indicating all she needed was confidence!

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmo View Post
    A quote from Berry Gordy's autobiography 'To Be Loved' [[page 254)......"Mary didn't have the advantage of the unique voice that Diana had, but she was always in there pushing with her personality, sex appeal, acting ability and her own voice - which was good. Anytime she led a song or had a solo she attacked it with everything she had."

Further quote from page 379 of same book..."I thought of what a fighter and a survivor Mary Wilson was. She may not have been the lead singer, but in a sense she was the heart and soul of the Supremes. She had been the glue that kept the group and their legacy alive."

He declared it again publicly in his speech at the Supremes induction to the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Mary Wilson is the Heart and Soul of the Supremes. Anyone with ears all of these years knows that Mary Wilson is a very good singer. I've explain this over and over. When Berry that comment it was to get Mary off of his back about singing more leads on Supremes records in the sixties. He told Florence that she was fat for the same reasons and we know Florence Ballard was never fat while she was a Supreme. Amazing because he told people that the reason he would not marry Diana Ross is because she was too bitchy and he would have to be kissing her ass all of the time when he needed someone to kiss his, but Circa never mentions that over and over does he? GTFO LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    He also said to her at Motown 25 “You finally learned how to sing” indicating all she needed was confidence!
    He still calls her all of the time to this very day.

Mary Wilson....the consummate performer.

Thanks for posting these to the forum marv. Mary looks and sounds great - I love the way she sings the songs in her own voice and her own phrasing and doesn't go out of the way to imitate or reproduce Diana's style.

She did a great job!

She truly is the heart and soul of The Supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveSupreme View Post
    Thanks for posting these to the forum marv. Mary looks and sounds great - I love the way she sings the songs in her own voice and her own phrasing and doesn't go out of the way to imitate or reproduce Diana's style.

She did a great job!

You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmo View Post

I have not read Berry Gordy's book, but was wondering if he had anything to say regarding the talents of Florence, Cindy or any of the 70's Supremes? It was nice he recognized how good her voice was and how much Mary contributed to the Supremes.

She did a great job!

I just don’t know if the other Sups really understood how much beIng a Supreme meant to Mary. She was the Supreme glue that held the group together. Her voice was an integral component to their unique sound.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It was August 24, 2017 Luke. The Mary is shaking those hips proves further that age is just a number! LOL!
    The Lady can move! A very youthful personality too!

- I love the way she sings the songs in her own voice and her own phrasing and doesn't go out of the way to imitate or reproduce Diana's style.
    like she has a choice?
    I'm sure she'd prefer to sing them as true to the originals as much as possible.
    Bottom line though: original Supreme singing her original music.