[REMOVE ADS]

Once Only Whitfield

Okay, we have discussed multiple versions of Motown songs and Norman Whitfield was certainly a culprit of recording several versions of his compositions, but what about songs that were only recorded once but where other artist could have been given a stab at.

I always loved 'Man' by the Temps and thought Edwin Starr would sound great recording that.

Good question Masterblaster. One of the few Whitfield songs from this era that was only recorded once, The Temptations' "Hey Girl [[I Like Your Style)" would've been a good fit for either Eddie Kendricks or The Undisputed Truth.

Hey masterblaster, cool thread. “Man” by Edwin Starr... oh, yea, I could see that working...
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 09-29-2017 at 08:12 PM.

I love Jimmy Ruffin's "Sad And Lonesome Feeling" from his Ruff 'N' Ready LP... a great and rather funky track that Norman never [[as far as I know) rerecorded with anyone else. I reckon Marvin coulda have torn that one up... or maybe The Tempts or Undisputed Truth in a completely different arrangement!

Edwin Starr's "My Weakness Is You" is a killer track and I can't believe it wasn't recorded more times. I'd love to hear more versions of the song, by anyone really.

Also The Marvelettes' classic "Too Many Fish In The Sea"...!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post

Also The Marvelettes' classic "Too Many Fish In The Sea"...!
    Not sure if it counts since it is an instrumental version as well as being the original track, but TOO MANY FISH IN THE SEA is on Earl Van Dyke and the Soul Brothers' album THAT MOTOWN SOUND.

I could easily imagine Cal Gill & The Velvelettes putting their stamp on Martha Reeves & The Vandellas' "I Gotta Let You Go" [[using the same backing track).

Martha and the Vandellas. Going Down Down for the Third Time.

Tomato Tom:

Three EXCELLENT examples! How about Bless You [[meaning the Martha song, not the Jimmy one?) Could anyone possibly have done that one any better?

It's surprising that there's one one version of Smokey Robinson & the Miracles classic "The Tears Of A Clown". I can imagine good cover versions of the song by The Temptations, Stevie Wonder or The Jackson 5.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Not sure if it counts since it is an instrumental version as well as being the original track, but TOO MANY FISH IN THE SEA is on Earl Van Dyke and the Soul Brothers' album THAT MOTOWN SOUND.
    Hey reese, I know it’s bad but I wouldn’t even count Earl’s version of the song, lol. I needs me some vocals... maybe The Velvelettes in a similar style... or Gladys Knight & The Pips in the late ‘60s putting their soulful spin on the tune...!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 09-30-2017 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I could easily imagine Cal Gill & The Velvelettes putting their stamp on Martha Reeves & The Vandellas' "I Gotta Let You Go" [[using the same backing track).
    Nice one Gary! That tune should have been recorded more too.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    It's surprising that there's one one version of Smokey Robinson & the Miracles classic "The Tears Of A Clown". I can imagine good cover versions of the song by The Temptations, Stevie Wonder or The Jackson 5.
    Hey Eddie, I believe Motown didn’t think much of “The Tears Of A Clown”... so much so the song wasn’t even released as a single until 4 years after recording. Maybe that’s why there aren’t any other versions. Great choice though!

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Tomato Tom:

Three EXCELLENT examples! How about Bless You [[meaning the Martha song, not the Jimmy one?) Could anyone possibly have done that one any better?
    Hey thanks, david! I have always thought what great songs they were, and wondered why there aren’t more versions of them!!!

“Bless You”, oh yea! Great pick. I believe that one was written and produced by The Corporation... and of course it sounds perfect for... The Jackson Five!! I’d love there to be a version with lil’ Michael singing lead!! The song is however absolutely fantastic by Martha & The Vandellas as you say