[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Marv Johnson - I'll Pick A Rose For My Rose

With the Contours' CD entering pre-production, the cold weather setting in again and the UK recession tightening - it's definitely time to announce the next Ace/Motown CD: Marv Johnson - "I'll Pick A Rose For My Rose PLUS - The Complete Recordings 1964-1971"!

Contents will be the original UK LP [[in stereo) - never issued on CD before - plus single tracks [[in mono) and everything else Marv completed following his return to the Motown fold after his years with United Artists. Full track list to follow.

We're aiming for a late April release, so save £1 from your pocket money every week till then, and you'll be [[nearly) all set!

And keep warm,
    Keith

Superb!! Woohooo! Keith, I remember emailing you at the time of the Satintones release and asked/requested/suggested Marv's 'Rose' album. I remember it got a cool response, so I figured that was the last of that. So happy this is up for release - and with all the extra tracks you are really spoiling us! Thankyou.

Wow. Digging deep and coming up with a surprise! Well done by the Brits!

That's good news, Keith !

Gave me the idea of listening to this.

fantastic news....many thanks Keith

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    Contents will be the original UK LP [[in stereo) - never issued on CD before - plus single tracks [[in mono) and everything else Marv completed following his return to the Motown fold after his years with United Artists. Full track list to follow.

And keep warm,
    Keith
    Does this mean that, as with other artists, there are some uncompleted masters in the vaults?
    Anyway.... thank you immensely for your hard work, much success with these sets, and above all... Keep 'Em Coming .

Interesting news Keith, great to some of Motown's lesser lights getting attention from Ace. Now Paulo and others would like to see Shorty Long get the same treatment.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1707
Size:  21.1 KB
    Great news!
    Last edited by robb_k; 01-29-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Well, this is FANTASTIC news - the one I've really been waiting for!
    A few weeks ago I'd made a determined decision to be ever-everso good in the hope that someone might take notice and give me what I'd been longing for as a reward! Clearly that has now happened...
    If I continue to be on my very best behaviour, will somebody be kind enough to issue something by Eddie Holland??

I am really pleased too. I thought that Marv Johnson put out some great songs under the Gordy logo and it is wonderful news that this compilation will include additional songs to those we have already had.

Big thanks go to Ace.

Really exciting news, coming so soon after the Contours set was announced. Yes, we do need a Eddie Holland set, and maybe a Monitors, but I'll take what comes. Always loved the Marv UK LP, and it'll be great to get stereo versions. So thankful motown are allowing other labels to release such gems. Thanks to all concerned.

Wayne

I agree with you totally, Xtown. Ace's enthusiasm for the more obscure corners of the Motown archive and their willingness to take a few risks promises well for the future! But at the same time, we mustn't forget Universal Music's huge contribution in finally opening up the Motown Vault to independents like Ace. Many thanks to them too!

If Universal has opened up thee vaults - how about Ric Tic, Groovesville etc or are these not available?
    And I agree a Monitors set would be more than welcome.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1700
Size:  21.1 KB
    As far as I know, Don Davis didn't sell the rights to Groovesville to Ed Wingate/Golden World/Ric Tic. Golden World only distributed the first 4 issues. Davis then took Groovesville to Lebaron Taylor's Solid Hitbound Productions [[which never ended up in Motown's hands).

Keith-You are quite right and I am bad for that omission. I hope there was nobody else I left out. If I have, it was not intentional.

Boywonder-Robb has pointed out one difficulty with releasing product from the Golden World set-up. I am sure there are others too. However, I don't feel that all hope should be given up. Where there's a will there's a way, as my dad used to tell me. Dialogue solves virtually all problems.

Many thanks to you, Keith and also to the team at Ace for giving us another lip licking release to look forward to. May there be many more Cds to come over 2011. Keeping my digits well and truly crossed for more surprises. Put me down for a copy!

All will be releaved....but the fascination for me is to discover who Marv Johnson worked with re Producers/writers.I hope that there is a Smokey gem hidden here...I'm sure that Dean/Weatherspoon will feature, Berry Gordy too...
    Thanks to ACE and other diehards who are working to get this material out .

If this review is anything to go by then this is going to be an excellent release!

http://music.aol.com/album/ill-pick-...my-rose/458830

Eamonn

Eamonn

A release date near Fathers Day's should make your day!

*smile*

Too right John

Eamonn

Eamonn

You're like me, predictable!

HAHA

At last! Many thanks Keith. Made my day..Paulo xxxx

Keith, fantastic! I'll look forward to that, especially after the great track on COM4. And any news on the new edition of DFTMC?

This is an item I would definitely go and save my pennies for.
    No dress expo or reunion can match this. so to speak.

any news on the tracklist yet?

Here it is, Jacques:

Tamla-Motown LP STML 11111 “I’ll Pick A Rose For My Rose” – stereo version:
    I'll Pick A Rose For My Rose
    I'm Not A Plaything
    Just The Way You Are
    Sleep [[Little One)
    Bad Girl
    Everybody's Gotta Pay Some Dues
    So Glad You Chose Me
    I Wish I Liked You [[As Much As I Love You)
    I Miss You Baby [[How I Miss You)
    Why Do You Want To Let Me Go
    You Got The Love I Love

CD-only and unreleased material – all mono:
    There Goes A Lonely Man
    Understanding
    S.O.S. [[Girl In Distress)
    Let's Talk It Over
    Save My Love For A Rainy Day
    She's All I Need [[In This World)
    Farewell Is A Lonely Sound
    Another Lonely Night [[Completes Another Empty Day)
    Just Look Through Your Window At The World

The U.S. Singles – all mono:
    Why Do You Want To Let Me Go
    I'm Not A Plaything
    I Miss You Baby [[How I Miss You)
    Just The Way You Are
    I'll Pick A Rose For My Rose
    You Got The Love I Love

The tracks have gone for mastering, so I hope we're still on course for that end-April release date.

More soon!
    Keith
    Last edited by keith_hughes; 03-04-2011 at 12:06 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    With the Contours' CD entering pre-production, the cold weather setting in again and the UK recession tightening - it's definitely time to announce the next Ace/Motown CD: Marv Johnson - "I'll Pick A Rose For My Rose PLUS - The Complete Recordings 1964-1971"!

We're aiming for a late April release, so save £1 from your pocket money every week till then, and you'll be [[nearly) all set!

And keep warm,
    Keith
    Keith, that is great. I've always enjoyed Marv's work but only have his early vinyl albums. This is good news. Thanks

This is a release worth waiting for, I remember watching Marv Johnson on the Motor City tour, and when he sung ''Rose'' the whole crowd were on their feet dancing and singing along, he couldn't belive the response that song got, let us know when its up on amazon for pre order I want to make sure I get my copy! how about Fantastic Four next?

Definitely worth considering to purchase.
    I remember the Funks were in top form on that album!

...and here's the fab cover

Name:  The Complete Motown Recordings 1964 - 1971.jpg
Views: 1587
Size:  79.6 KB

Last edited by grapevine; 03-07-2011 at 10:02 AM.

RossHolloway Guest
    Interesting release. I'll have to pick up a copy when it comes out.

RossHolloway, sure is. I second that.

grape, wow that is a gorgeous looking cover. That picture of Marv is familiar to me, but that cover blew me out of the chair still. I was so pleased with the Satintones CD and I can't [[and have no reason to) disguise the excitement for the partnership between Ace label family and Universal Motown.

Keith, are there any remarkable differences between the mono and stereo versions of [[S)TML 11111?

Mr Postman ...the same pic has been used a couple of times earlier...

Name:  Marv 1.jpg
Views: 1824
Size:  25.8 KB

Name:  Marv 2.jpg
Views: 1587
Size:  28.0 KB

...at least

Thank goodness the picture sleeve for Everybody's Gotta Pay Some Dues is a different cover!

grape, but never in this good a quality! By the way, the photo used on the "I Miss You Baby" cover sleeve is not the exact same as the photo used on Kent's CD, albeit surely taken from the same photo session.

Thanks for the tracklisting, Keith. - Just one question [[and in no way a criticism), but is there any particular reason why 'Come To Me' and 'Whisper' have not been included, which would presumably have then made it the "totally" Complete Motown Recordings? [[especially if there is a stereo recording of Come To Me knocking around, which I suppose there isn't).

Really looking forward to this and the Contours cds.

I guess we COULD have included those titles, as they were in TCMS1. But the subtitle is, "Complete Recordings 1964-1971", so that's what it is.

I wouldn't say there are any remarkable differences, but it's a long time since I listened to the mono version.

Credit to Julia [[Jools) Williamson, for the wonderful design work she has done on the covers for the three Motown/Ace projects I have been lucky enough to work on.

Yes, grape, for the 45 cover as printed in Holland [[orange one, code 5C) and France [[blue one, code 2C). The German code was 1C.
    The code on the record and the sleeves was the same, of course.

stopinthenameoflove Guest
    I'm really looking forward to this one! and as an aside - I Miss You Baby is one of the the ones I play if anyone I know asks about what Motown songs I like!

so nice to see Marv get his artistry out into world at last. I miss you baby.

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    We still have time, Lake.

This title will be released on April 26, 2011.

Lakedistrict lad

Where do we buy this one from!

Don't be cheeky John.

Me! Perish the thought my dearest!

*HUGS*

Don Davis, one of the greatest producers of them all, not much is written about him, I wish more space had been given to him in that Stax book.

strangely, the Amazon UK price, having started at £13, and then dropping to £11.95, is showing as £21.29 this morning! Think it's best to wait...

Got mine this morning and what can I say... The Satintones and Contours were a little too early sounding for my tastes, but this is right up my street, and it never sounded so good. Never thought I'd see this one, so thanks to all involved, and can't wait for the Monitors and Patrice Holloway...

Wayne

My copy has just arrived too, this is my first listen to Marv 's tamla lp, loving the cd booklet and the quality of the sound. Well done to Keith Hughes and his team, bring on the Monitors! I hope that everyone is getting behind these releases, because the more we do the more they can bring us, and Kent/ Ace are delivering the goods, and in the time frame they say, not 3 years late!
    Congratulations to all those involved, keep them coming Please!