[REMOVE ADS]

Jean, Mary and Lynda...Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Interesting. A thread on the sound of JML might be an interesting. I listened to that Japan CD and it seemed ok. I don't have access to my equipment to isolate the background. L was around for such a short period of time I never gave her much thought.
    IMO Lynda breathed new life into the group. Cindy was great in her own right, but vocally Lynda was something to behold. She was raised by a Dixie Hummingbird for goodness sakes! Lol And obviously Stevie Wonder recognized her talent. JMC ushered the Supremes into the 70s, which is a decade I don't think that DRATS would have continued to succeed in without a severe revamp of style, which of course wasn't going to happen, nor do I think that fans would have accepted it. New lead singer equals new possibilities, and JMC seemed to bridge the sound of the 60s and 70s.

When Lynda joined the group [[aside from the misstep of the Jimmy Webb album) they became more youthful looking, the dance steps were funkier, just their whole vibe changed. And vocally they were able to leave the 60s behind and become fully immersed in the new sound of the 70s. Mary's quote of Florence's opinion of Lynda is right on the money: Lynda added some personality to the group that really didn't exist with Cindy. Lynda seemed like a ball of fun. Cindy seemed like someone you enjoyed a pleasant afternoon with after church. Such a sweet lady. Mary definitely had personality and I think she seemed to feed off of Lynda. In a few of those tv performances Mary seems like she's having more fun than she had since before Flo left the group. Jean was always kind of demure IMO. Very professional, very technical, not overly excited but giving the audience their life with vocals. Lynda was a much needed spark.

To me this grouping had the 70s rolled up if they had the full machine behind them. Could you imagine Allen Toussaint producing them? What about Norman Whitfield? And of course there's still the question of what a full album of Stevie Wonder productions would have been like. The worst part about the JML grouping is that there just isn't enough music [[already released that is, hopefully there's some treasures waiting in the vaults).

That's my take on this short tenured lineup. Anyone agree? Disagree? [[Keep it classy people.)
    Last edited by RanRan79; 09-25-2017 at 11:07 AM.

I agree that Lynda is a dynamic singer. I love some of her moments on the Japan lp. Like when she lets it rip in Tossing and Turning as they finish the second "jumped out of bed, turned on the light..."

Lynda had the potential to be a lead singer. But I think my issue is that the vocal blend of MJL on Japan isn't as smooth as the MJC lineup. Lynda has a brassiness to her voice and sometimes I found it competing w jeans. Same with the MSS lineup. All three are amazing singers but when combined live it wasn't the best

I do wish though there was more work that allowed her to shine. Leads on albums. And all

I do like the two MLC tracks from Hawaii. Rumor has it that when Jean quit Lynda didn't immediately leave. She supposedly met w Mary and Pedro about the future of the group and wasn't impressed. So then she left. But imagine is Cindy had returned full time and Lynda took lead? No disrespect to Scherrie. Love her. But just an interesting idea

That rumor has been floating around for a bit since Pedro wasn't really involved in their business til after scherrie joined. Besides Lynda was pregnant so she would have left soon after

Interesting thoughts Sup Fan. Great point about the harmony. JMC had a beautiful blend that was great on their records and on some of the stuff they were doing live like "We've Only Just Begun" [[one of my favorites to hear them sing). I don't think JML could compete with that. But I also don't think "We've Only Just Begun" is the type of song JML should even do. The 70s was becoming a decade of funkiness. Even Diana Ross was getting into it. JML should have been moving into Labelle territory. Not so much all of the social commentary songs, but a more forceful sound. Maybe Pointer Sisters is a better comparison? Lynda was most definitely a lead singer and I could hear her tackling the harder edged cuts, while Jean handled the less edgy r&b/pop, and Mary got all the soulful ballads.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    That rumor has been floating around for a bit since Pedro wasn't really involved in their business til after scherrie joined. Besides Lynda was pregnant so she would have left soon after
    I get the feeling Pedro was always involved, even if it wasn't yet official. As far as Lynda's pregnancy, she didn't have to leave the group permanently. At that point the group was in limbo anyway. She could have her maternity leave and then get back to work. Others have done it. Mary eventually did it. I don't believe for one minute that Mary just let Lynda walk without taking the time to talk her into staying. I can believe that Lynda wasn't buying whatever Mary was selling, which we now know couldn't have been much considering what the group would deal with from that point on until the end. Motown was mostly done with them and I don't think there was very much Mary could've done to right that ship. However, there may have been a chance that with Cindy rejoining the group and Lynda remaining Motown may have hung on a little longer. I doubt it, but it's possible. Lol

That is true and besides, Wayne Weisbart was their manager at the time both Jean and Lynda left. Mary fired him not long after.

I doubt that Pedro was involved that early. Remember it had only been months since they met and he hadn't moved to LA yet. The earliest known involvement with Pedro was when they were trying to negotiate their contracts in 74. As far as Lynda I think the original plan was Mary and Lynda was to split the lead and for Cindy to come back. But with Lynda pregnant, that changed plans.

I doubt that Pedro was involved that early. Remember it had only been months since they met and he hadn't moved to LA yet. The earliest known involvement with Pedro was when they were trying to negotiate their contracts in 74. As far as Lynda I think the original plan was Mary and Lynda was to split the lead and for Cindy to come back. But with Lynda pregnant, that changed plans.
    Add in all of those demands Lynda made for money for singing leads etc. and had to go!

I def agree that the MJL lineup could have gone on to do great things had they been given the chance. I think MJC fit perfectly w Frank. Their blend and sound complimented his. The ethereal sound.

By 72,73 I too agree that they should have and could have evolved their sound into something w more funk. More r&b.

Pedro didn't become the group's manager officially until really 1975. He had influence over Mary's decisions however probably in early to mid 1974. At the time of Jean and Lynda's departure Pedro was not involved.

The re-hiring of Cindy and hiring of Scherrie was purely Mary's decision...and Motown was not happy about it.

Lynda did add a spark to the Supremes as I think all the ladies did. It's just that by the time she came onboard in March [[around that time) of 1972, this was the group's third lineup change in less than five years. Motown was tiring of this because every time a group member leaves it costs money to hire and train a replacement. All the photos taken of the group have to be thrown out, usually lame reasons given for the changes, etc. I think had the JML survived more than 18 months they could have gotten in grittier material, but by and far the Supremes' public had grown up and left for newer, hipper, more self-contained music acts.

Lynda had modeled and was an elegant, sophisticated stage presence. Unfortunately this was at a time when black women were sporting naturals and wearing denim jeans and tank tops. Motown stuck the Supremes into old gowns and even reverted them back to the Diana Ross and the Supremes Vegas act when Lynda joined. Wrong move.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Pedro didn't become the group's manager officially until really 1975. He had influence over Mary's decisions however probably in early to mid 1974. At the time of Jean and Lynda's departure Pedro was not involved.

The re-hiring of Cindy and hiring of Scherrie was purely Mary's decision...and Motown was not happy about it.

Lynda did add a spark to the Supremes as I think all the ladies did. It's just that by the time she came onboard in March [[around that time) of 1972, this was the group's third lineup change in less than five years. Motown was tiring of this because every time a group member leaves it costs money to hire and train a replacement. All the photos taken of the group have to be thrown out, usually lame reasons given for the changes, etc. I think had the JML survived more than 18 months they could have gotten in grittier material, but by and far the Supremes' public had grown up and left for newer, hipper, more self-contained music acts.

Lynda had modeled and was an elegant, sophisticated stage presence. Unfortunately this was at a time when black women were sporting naturals and wearing denim jeans and tank tops. Motown stuck the Supremes into old gowns and even reverted them back to the Diana Ross and the Supremes Vegas act when Lynda joined. Wrong move.
    Good to see you back here. Great posting Bayoumotownman

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Good to see you back here. Great posting Bayoumotownman
    yes I agree . Good informative post Bayou!

great lineup. nice spice . not since florence was fired did we have that kinda of spark

The group became so over-the-top vocally. Hootin' and hollerin' became the norm and replaced thoughtful performances.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    IMO Lynda breathed new life into the group. Cindy was great in her own right, but vocally Lynda was something to behold. She was raised by a Dixie Hummingbird for goodness sakes! Lol And obviously Stevie Wonder recognized her talent. JMC ushered the Supremes into the 70s, which is a decade I don't think that DRATS would have continued to succeed in without a severe revamp of style, which of course wasn't going to happen, nor do I think that fans would have accepted it. New lead singer equals new possibilities, and JMC seemed to bridge the sound of the 60s and 70s.

When Lynda joined the group [[aside from the misstep of the Jimmy Webb album) they became more youthful looking, the dance steps were funkier, just their whole vibe changed. And vocally they were able to leave the 60s behind and become fully immersed in the new sound of the 70s. Mary's quote of Florence's opinion of Lynda is right on the money: Lynda added some personality to the group that really didn't exist with Cindy. Lynda seemed like a ball of fun. Cindy seemed like someone you enjoyed a pleasant afternoon with after church. Such a sweet lady. Mary definitely had personality and I think she seemed to feed off of Lynda. In a few of those tv performances Mary seems like she's having more fun than she had since before Flo left the group. Jean was always kind of demure IMO. Very professional, very technical, not overly excited but giving the audience their life with vocals. Lynda was a much needed spark.

To me this grouping had the 70s rolled up if they had the full machine behind them. Could you imagine Allen Toussaint producing them? What about Norman Whitfield? And of course there's still the question of what a full album of Stevie Wonder productions would have been like. The worst part about the JML grouping is that there just isn't enough music [[already released that is, hopefully there's some treasures waiting in the vaults).

That's my take on this short tenured lineup. Anyone agree? Disagree? [[Keep it classy people.)
    I agree. This line up had great potential. I wish Lynda had been given a couple of leads on the Jimmy Webb album. Jean sounded so uncomfortable on some of those songs. Lynda could have brought a better balance to the album. I enjoyed their tv performances , but of course the by now standard bickering and internal strife was tearing the group apart.It is frustrating to think what could have been. Great thread by the way RanRan79.

While Jean was a powerhouse vocalist, her voice was never much to my taste, except when she would sing in a lower register, which was only about half the time. She could be pretty shrill when she'd climb the scales, and [[especially on the Webb album) that would at times crescendo almost to a screech, and I found it very hard to listen to. Lynda's voice was less grating to my ears, but less distinctive, and what the group needed was a readily identifiable lead voice for the singles, so Jean was a good choice at first, and without her they might not have hit with "Ladder" as they did, and that was all-important. As time went on, though, I became overexposed to that voice and I really wasn't too disappointed when she decided to jump ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I agree. This line up had great potential. I wish Lynda had been given a couple of leads on the Jimmy Webb album. Jean sounded so uncomfortable on some of those songs. Lynda could have brought a better balance to the album. I enjoyed their tv performances , but of course the by now standard bickering and internal strife was tearing the group apart.It is frustrating to think what could have been. Great thread by the way RanRan79.
    Thanks Bluebrock. It really is frustrating to think about the different possibilities and knowing there's nothing that can be done about it now. As a lover of history it's just in my nature to ponder "what ifs". I know some fans don't care to do it but it's my thing.

Love the "what ifs" too! Fun to conjecture and debate what might have happened. The supremes saga seems tailor made for this.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Love the "what ifs" too! Fun to conjecture and debate what might have happened. The supremes saga seems tailor made for this.
    Absolutely. Unfortunately the conjecture fun usually turns sour when it comes to the Supremes, but I enjoy the calm before the storm for as long as possible. Lol

Lol well so far everyone has been behaving on this thread. So far! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Lol well so far everyone has been behaving on this thread. So far! Lol
    Looks like most of the threads are pretty devoid of drama right now. I'm loving it!

Looks like most of the threads are pretty devoid of drama right now. I'm loving it!
    I agree and it is so nice to be focused on the music!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I agree and it is so nice to be focused on the music!!!
    You can say that again!

Keep the storm at bay, gang.

[QUOTE=BigAl;415540]While Jean was a powerhouse vocalist, her voice was never much to my taste, except when she would sing in a lower register, which was only about half the time. She could be pretty shrill when she'd climb the scales, and [[especially on the Webb album) that would at times crescendo almost to a screech, and I found it very hard to listen to. Lynda's voice was less grating to my ears, but less distinctive, and what the group needed was a readily identifiable lead voice for the singles, so Jean was a good choice at first, and without her they might not have hit with "Ladder" as they did, and that was all-important. As time went on, though, I became overexposed to that voice and I really wasn't too disappointed when she decided to jump ship

I hear what you say BigAl. I love Jean's voice but she could sound shrill at times, especially on some of the Jimmy Webb which remains almost unlistenable to me, but i adored her on much of the earlier stuff. I still maintain Lynda would have been a better lead on a couple of tracks. I know Lynda is the lead vocalist on a couple of the Stevie produced tracks from the Bad Weather sessions, and it is a great pity that project was shelved.

honest man Guest
    Don't know if i know what Lynda sounds like,can someone mention a Supremes song with her on it,i will give it a play so i can hear her,cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Don't know if i know what Lynda sounds like,can someone mention a Supremes song with her on it,i will give it a play so i can hear her,cheers.
    Me too hman, I don’t think I’ve ever heard Lynda singing. I’d like to!

https://youtu.be/zw5zGPH10yg
    Here's stoned love from the Hawaii concert may 1972

The question I have is what leads from the bad sessions did Lynda record. This is the first mentioned of it in the many years of this forum

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdkfCEhmT1U

Here's Lynda tearing it up with "Hit and Miss" with
    Jean and Scherrie.

The question I have is what leads from the bad sessions did Lynda record. This is the first mentioned of it in the many years of this forum
    I honestly don't know blackguy69. When i spoke with Lynda earlier this year she told me she had performed the lead vocal on two songs from the abandoned sessions. She recalled there were approximately six songs recorded. I am not sure if that total includes Bad Weather. Stevie owns the rights to these songs as he does the sessions with Diana from the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I honestly don't know blackguy69. When i spoke with Lynda earlier this year she told me she had performed the lead vocal on two songs from the abandoned sessions. She recalled there were approximately six songs recorded. I am not sure if that total includes Bad Weather. Stevie owns the rights to these songs as he does the sessions with Diana from the 70's.
    I asked because in the years that this was discussed hundreds of times nothing was mentioned that Lynda sang a recorded lead.
    If I'm correct the songs that are known are:
    Bad Weather
    Soft Days
    Love Train
    Superstition
    Until You Come Back to Me
    I'll Wait a Lifetime

It could be possible but could be not.

I asked because in the years that this was discussed hundreds of times nothing was mentioned that Lynda sang a recorded lead.
    Bad Weather
    Soft Days
    Love Train
    Superstition
    I'll Wait a Lifetime

It would make sense though, wouldn't it? Considering that Lynda was a product of Stevie before she became a Supreme. It's hard for me to imagine him going into the studio with the group after Lynda joined and giving all the leads to Jean [[and one partial lead to Mary). I hope the information is true.

It would make sense though, wouldn't it? Considering that Lynda was a product of Stevie before she became a Supreme. It's hard for me to imagine him going into the studio with the group after Lynda joined and giving all the leads to Jean [[and one partial lead to Mary). I hope the information is true.
    Until Stevie releases it, then I'm afraid that Lynda would still the only supreme without a recorded lead vocal

Until Stevie releases it, then I'm afraid that Lynda would still the only supreme without a recorded lead vocal
    Motown did not record any leads on Lynda Laurence.

It wasn't until near the end of the school year in 1976 when I found this single in the back of my art class did I know what Lynda Laurence sounded like. Produced by Trevor Lawrence for Harry Nilsson. Who ever posted this video does not even mention Lynda Laurence's name in the title or description, but it is her:

Last edited by marv2; 09-28-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Isn't that the case with everything that is still in the vaults or rumored to be in the vaults? Without physical confirmation most of the stuff that is talked about being vaulted for all intents and purposes doesn't exist until it actually comes out. "Superstition" is rumored to exist but I've never heard of anyone who says they've actually heard it, or "Until You Come Back to Me". For all I know Lynda is leading both. Or they don't exist at all. Lol

Isn't that the case with everything that is still in the vaults or rumored to be in the vaults? Without physical confirmation most of the stuff that is talked about being vaulted for all intents and purposes doesn't exist until it actually comes out. "Superstition" is rumored to exist but I've never heard of anyone who says they've actually heard it, or "Until You Come Back to Me". For all I know Lynda is leading both. Or they don't exist at all. Lol
    True but this topic has been talked about for years and not once that it was mentioned that Lynda may have had a lead. It would be interesting to hear.

True but this topic has been talked about for years and not once that it was mentioned that Lynda may have had a lead. It would be interesting to hear.
    Maybe that was prior to my joining the forum. I cannot prove what Lynda said was true. It would have to be up to Stevie to release the songs if indeed they do exist.

Bad Weather
    Soft Days
    Love Train
    Superstition
    I'll Wait a Lifetime

Love Train, on this list was produced by Frank Wilson. It was not a Stevie Wonder produced like Bad Weather, Soft Days, etc.

I know love train is a frank Wilson production. I listed it because it was one of the songs proposed for the Bad Weather album

It could also be that there r multiple lead versions to some of the Stevie songs. So many Lynda recorded a lead version to BW. I've only heard that there were 3 songs that received vocals w Stevie. But several more were prepared. Maybe they rehearsed six or demos. But only recorded 2 or so. Who would know

Too bad Stevie won't open up is vault

I know love train is a frank Wilson production. I listed it because it was one of the songs proposed for the Bad Weather album
    Having Love Train on the album would be plausible if Stevie didn't have an album full of tracks which it sounds like was the club.

Then I also wonder is Love Train from around the same sessions as Remote Control. Could that have been on this album too.

"Love Train" was done with Frank Wilson. I've heard a version floating around with alternate Jean vocal. I think she was doing background too.

I'm pretty sure "Remote Control" was a Hal Davis production. Wasn't "Traveling Light" done around this time too?

Take a listen to 'Stevie Wonder Presents Syreeta.' A lot of those tracks sound like they like they were meant for the ladies. I can totally hear Jean singing several of those tracks. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Syreeta's album was what the Supremes/Stevie album was suppose to be.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It wasn't until near the end of the school year in 1976 when I found this single in the back of my art class did I know what Lynda Laurence sounded like. Produced by Trevor Lawrence for Harry Nilsson. Who ever posted this video does not even mention Lynda Laurence's name in the title or description, but it is her:

Hey Marv, I think that’s an automatic YouTube-generated posting, not by an actual person. Unfortunately that means it won’t play for me [[‘this video is blocked’!) but I’ll try and find it somewhere else.

OK, this video works for me. Interesting... Lynda sounds familiar but I’ve never heard her sing lead before. Very nice voice though

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    "Love Train" was done with Frank Wilson. I've heard a version floating around with alternate Jean vocal. I think she was doing background too.

I'm pretty sure "Remote Control" was a Hal Davis production. Wasn't "Traveling Light" done around this time too?

Take a listen to 'Stevie Wonder Presents Syreeta.' A lot of those tracks sound like they like they were meant for the ladies. I can totally hear Jean singing several of those tracks. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Syreeta's album was what the Supremes/Stevie album was suppose to be.
    Brad some of those songs on Syreeta's album were originally written for the Supremes and were to be included in a album containing "Bad Weather" had Jean not have left and single failed to chart higher.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    OK, this video works for me. Interesting... Lynda sounds familiar but I’ve never heard her sing lead before. Very nice voice though

Again, the poster does not credit Lynda Laurence even though she is singing half of the song! The label on the single does credit her as "Lynda Lawrence" her married name.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    While Jean was a powerhouse vocalist, her voice was never much to my taste, except when she would sing in a lower register, which was only about half the time. She could be pretty shrill when she'd climb the scales, and [[especially on the Webb album) that would at times crescendo almost to a screech, and I found it very hard to listen to. Lynda's voice was less grating to my ears, but less distinctive, and what the group needed was a readily identifiable lead voice for the singles, so Jean was a good choice at first, and without her they might not have hit with "Ladder" as they did, and that was all-important. As time went on, though, I became overexposed to that voice and I really wasn't too disappointed when she decided to jump ship.
    I would agree that without Jean, the group may not have been able to hit so quickly after lead singer Diana Ross left. Jean had a unique sound as well and her original work on such hits as up the ladder and Stoned Love are awesome with Mary & Cindy providing great counterpoint backing vocals. It seemed by the time of Touch, that her voice did start to sound more nasal and shrill in the upper registers. Lynda has a nice voice, but she isn't distinctive. The trio of Jean, Mary & Lynda seemed to be the least successful and while they still had a good sound I feel jumping to another label under another name would not have done them much good. The vocals and harmonies of Mary, Scherrie & Cindy were a refreshing change to hear. I agree that Jean's voice started to sound so shrill at the end of her tenure and it seemed when Lynda joined, Jean separated from the group on television almost like when DRATS performed. It would have been nice if Lynda did have a lead or some lead lines when she was in the group but I don't think she had the charisma and glamor that the MSC grouping brought after Jean & Lynda's departure.