[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Levi solo

Levi solo

We know Levi did Little Shop of Horrors. Was this a prelude to his possibly going solo? I know he really didnt want to leave the Tops but was their some consideration of some more solo stuff and still being a 4 Top?

I don’t think that the other Tops had to worry about him going solo or accepting separate billing for the group as Diana, Smokey and Martha did. In fact, I think he refused separate billing when Motown was making those changes with other groups. This is one of the few groups that stayed together until death or illness. He put the group first before a solo career for himself

There are 2 incomplete songs on their lost and found:lost without you CD. HAVE A LITTLE FAITH and NEVER SAY NO TO YOUR BABY never got background vocals. That's for anyone who wondered about a Levi solo recording in the 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    We know Levi did Little Shop of Horrors. Was this a prelude to his possibly going solo? I know he really didnt want to leave the Tops but was their some consideration of some more solo stuff and still being a 4 Top?

Yeah. Berry Gordy tried to talk him into playing the role of Louis McKay in the film "Lady Sings the Blues". Levi declined and the role went to Billy Dee Williams.

Levi would never have left his friends, never. Unlike some he was not egotistic, just an ordinary guy with an extraordinary voice.

Success came to the Tops much later than it did their Motown label mates. Being older is being wiser.

Levi was astute enough to know that there was no shortage of male R&B soloists at Motown and the few other record companies at that time that issued soul music. Breaking from a group is always a risk. The Tops all had families and financial responsibilities and knew better than to take such risks.

They were unique, and smart enough to know it.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I heard an interview with Duke and Duke said that even before Levi did "Little Shop of Horrors" he called each member and asked if it was ok. I have the "Little Shop Of Horrors" blur ray and I believe the billing is Levi Stubbs of the Four Tops. Levi was extremely loyal.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Success came to the Tops much later than it did their Motown label mates. Being older is being wiser.

Levi was astute enough to know that there was no shortage of male R&B soloists at Motown and the few other record companies at that time that issued soul music. Breaking from a group is always a risk. The Tops all had families and financial responsibilities and knew better than to take such risks.

They were unique, and smart enough to know it.
    Correct. The Tops we're together about 10 years paying dues before they had their first hit. Levi was around 28 when "Baby I Need Yoir Loving" was released. I love the Temptations, but historically they can't keep members. Even though Levi was always lead it was more of a blend with the jazz harmonies. The Tops realized that if Levi's lead vocals puts food on the table, so be it. It's a business. They were brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by Encyclopedia Mack View Post
    Correct. The Tops we're together about 10 years paying dues before they had their first hit. Levi was around 28 when "Baby I Need Yoir Loving" was released. I love the Temptations, but historically they can't keep members. Even though Levi was always lead it was more of a blend with the jazz harmonies. The Tops realized that if Levi's lead vocals puts food on the table, so be it. It's a business. They were brothers.
    .....and you are SO right!