[REMOVE ADS]

Velvelettes - Lonely, Lonely Girl Am I - Mixes

Has a stereo mix always existed for this track? Or has a fake stereo version sometimes been used?

I believe a fake stereo version was used on Volume 2 of the original CD issue of 'Motown Big Hits and Hard to Find Classics' from about 1986 I think.

A stereo mix was issued on the 2 CD reissue of 'This Is Northern Soul! The Motown Sound' Vol. 1 & 2, which I believe was originally issued on one of the 'A Collection of 16 Big Hits' albums.

Cheers

Paul

I remember finding this stereo version on YouTube... is this a 'fake' mix?

Forgot how fantastic it is too

Quote Originally Posted by bradburger View Post
    I believe a fake stereo version was used on Volume 2 of the original CD issue of 'Motown Big Hits and Hard to Find Classics' from about 1986 I think.
    Thanks for the information. I suspect that this mix has been included in "The In Crowd: The Ultimate Mod Collection", a 2001 4CD set from Universal.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I remember finding this stereo version on YouTube... is this a 'fake' mix?
    No, there are distinct elements to each channel in the video you posted - strings left, drums right etc.

The mix that prompted this thread mimics stereo, entirely unconvincingly in my opinon, by, I believe, splitting frequency information between the two channels [[e.g. more low frequencies in one channel, more high frequencies in the other).

How The Velvelettes LLGAI was never a massive hit is beyond my comprehension. Everything about it is so good.

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    No, there are distinct elements to each channel in the video you posted - strings left, drums right etc.

The mix that prompted this thread mimics stereo, entirely unconvincingly in my opinon, by, I believe, splitting frequency information between the two channels [[e.g. more low frequencies in one channel, more high frequencies in the other).
    Hey, thanks smallworld. I thought it sounded like a proper stereo mix.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    How The Velvelettes LLGAI was never a massive hit is beyond my comprehension. Everything about it is so good.
    Didn't even chart as far as I'm aware... utter insanity!

huntergettingcaptured Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post

And just what you wrote, to me, is ALWAYS the key indicator of an authentic 60's Motown stereo mix- when you have that distinct and sometimes extreme "Coast-To-Coast" separation of instruments. For the most part, Motown [[and pretty much everyone else in the 60's) did their stereo mixes with drums, piano, bass and most percussion on one channel and guitars, vibes, brass on the other. That's not an iron-clad blueprint, but in general you really heard a very severe separation of instruments.

With a lot of the vault material that is now coming out, the stereo mixes are not quite as severe or "Coast-To-Coast" mixes. I think that sort of severe separation faded out as the seventies went on.