[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    It is really sad to hear Gladys story. Why is it that everyone come out once the artist pass on and say what they meant to them [[or their company) and not give them that helping hand while they are alive. RIP Ms Horton and wishing her sons and the rest her family God's speed.

Thank you Luke. Even more information about her life/story is coming out.

Yes Marv-and her sadness over the name and Larry Marshak-for some reason I cant post link but Detroit News has article today on her struggle with Larry Marshak owning the name. She talks about her sadness over it.
    Last edited by luke; 01-28-2011 at 10:24 PM.

I'll always remember MISS GLADY HORTON,LEAD SINGER OF THE MARVALETTES,R.I.P My sister.She was one of the best.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Yes Marv-and her sadness over the name and Larry Marshak-for some reason I cant post link but Detroit News has article today on her struggle with Larry Marshak owning the name. She talks about her sadness over it.

Larry Marshak - true scum of the earth. RIP dear Marvellette - and if you can haunt Larry Marshak - get to it, girl.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    Larry Marshak - true scum of the earth. RIP dear Marvellette - and if you can haunt Larry Marshak - get to it, girl.
    My sentiments are with Top Diva on this one.

Here's an excellent tribute to Gladys Horton:

So sad at the news - always loved both Gladys and Wanda, and thought that having two lead singers kept them sounding so fresh.

I keep playing "I Need Someone" from the Pink album.

RIP, Gladys, and thanks for the wonderful memories which will live on and on and on.

Wayne

Wayne/wedgeville

Agree absolutely about the two lead singers Gladys & Wanda keeping the sound fresh while both were in the group...."As long as I know he's mine", "Keep off, no trespassing"..etc

While you'll always be fondly remembered Gladys, you'll also move forward with us in our hearts.

I know several groups both in and out of Motown should be thanking Gladys and the Marvelettes for paving the way for them all. Especially ONE girl group from Detroit's Brewster Projects!!!

And the fact they STILL ain't in the Hall of Fame is a real insult. They, along with the Shirelles and Chantels, were pioneers in what we know as the girl group sound and the Marvelettes earn more points for being one of the first soul groups and also the group that was part of what became "The Sound of Young America".

At 15, 16 years old, Gladys had a voice that sounded MUCH older. And she was so soulful.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I know several groups both in and out of Motown should be thanking Gladys and the Marvelettes for paving the way for them all. Especially ONE girl group from Detroit's Brewster Projects!!!

And the fact they STILL ain't in the Hall of Fame is a real insult. They, along with the Shirelles and Chantels, were pioneers in what we know as the girl group sound and the Marvelettes earn more points for being one of the first soul groups and also the group that was part of what became "The Sound of Young America".

At 15, 16 years old, Gladys had a voice that sounded MUCH older. And she was so soulful.
    Interesting you would say this. I think Gladys had the ability to sound fresh and youthful, yet wise beyond her years at the same time. It gave her leads a special touch. One of her vocals I really like is "Message to Michael"

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

You got that right Midnightman! I feel that the Marvelettes just did not receive any support in a way that would have gotten them into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I mean EVERYONE is familiar with their work in one way or another. Gladys fought long and hard since the early 70's to keep the true legacy of the Marvelettes alive. She sought help from those that she thought surely would help, but had door after door slammed in her face. I remember her putting it this way...... "oh I need a little help with my career. I'm a a bit down at the moment. The response? "Oh, so you're down huh? Well stay there! That's when the foot would really go down on her neck!

I didn't really want to get into how and who mistreated her over the years so soon after her passing, but some things have a way of making your blood pressure rise and are enough to make you shake your head in wonder.

Marv
    Last edited by marv2; 01-29-2011 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post

I didn't really want to get into how and who mistreated her over the years so soon after her passing, but some things have a way of making your blood pressure rise and are enough to make you shake your head in wonder.

Marv
    But we know you will.

I totally agree, smark. Gladys' version of "Message to Michael" is also one of my favourites. I was a Marvelettes fan before I was a fan of Dionne Warwick...so I was used to hearing Gladys' version before I even knew of Dionne's hit version. So even though it's considered to be one of Dionne's hits, I always think of it as Gladys' song.

It is sad to think that Ms Horton passed without seeing much more of the accolades she and her former Marvelettes deserve. A true Soul legend, everyone knows Please Mr Postman even if they don't know who the singer is, Lets hope that she is now at peace.

LA memorial set for Marvelettes' Gladys Horton

http://detnews.com/article/20110131/...-Gladys-Horton

A memorial service will be held for Gladys Horton, co-founder of Motown's Marvelettes, at 12:30 p.m. Feb. 22 at Forest Lawn Memorial Park, 6300 Forest Lawn, in Los Angeles.

Horton, the winsome teenage voice on the 1961 No. 1 pop hit "Please, Mr. Postman," died Jan. 26 in L.A., of complications relating to a stroke. She was 66.

A native of Gainesville, Fla., Horton grew up in Inkster and formed the Marvelettes with three friends from Inkster High School. One of those friends, Marvelettes co-founder Katherine Anderson Schaffner, will travel to L.A. to attend the service.

Schaffner invites fans who can't attend but who may want to send condolence cards or their memories of Horton and the group, to post them to The Marvelettes, P.O. Box 415, Inkster, MI 48141.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110131/...#ixzz1CgASUGhE

I just got this in an email:

GLADYS HORTON'S FUNERAL ARRANGEMENTS [[Official)
    The following information was obtained from Vaughn Thornton the son of Gladys Horton of the Marvelettes. January 31, 2011 [[9:30pm est):

Forest Lawn Memorial Park
    6300 Forest Lawn Dr.
    L.A., CA. 90068

Memorial Service

Tuesday 2/22/2011 * 12:30pm.

Gladys Horton
    [Condolence cards and Contributions]
    c/o: Vaughn Thornton
    5224 1/2 Vantage Ave.
    Valley Village Ca. 91607

You can send fan cards to:

The Marvelettes
    P.O. Box 415
    Inkster, MI 48141

Rest In Peace Gladys~

Loveblind, if you see this could you give us some details on the picture you posted above.

You posted at the same time I was writing; I am referring to the picture half way up the thread.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the above photo of The Marvelettes is from a TV appearance they made overseas. Was it "Ready, Steady, Go" in the UK??

What about the picture that Loveblind posted on January 27, 2011? Would that have been from the PBS Special of a few years back? That is a special picture; I think it is wonderful.

No it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the above photo of The Marvelettes is from a TV appearance they made overseas. Was it "Ready, Steady, Go" in the UK??
    Might also be "Thank Your Lucky Stars". It's hard to see what is in the background in that shot. Ready Steady Go pics were often with a members of the public somewhere in the shot. We didn't have colour in those days [[well I didn't) and I would never be able to remember what frocks they wore

Why do they say that Wanda took over as lead vocalist when in fact on the last album Gladys recorded with the Marvelettes the leads were equally split.

^ It makes for a good story I guess.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Why do they say that Wanda took over as lead vocalist when in fact on the last album Gladys recorded with the Marvelettes the leads were equally split.
    Very true, though Wanda got the A sides and thus the hits that were heard so it's an understandable misperception.

That picture was indeed taken in the UK in 1967. It was used a few days ago in Horton's obituary in the Guardian newspaper published in England. Here's another from that period
    Last edited by loveblind; 02-08-2011 at 01:01 AM.

That's a very nice picture. Thanks Loveblind

David Gordon is having problems logging in and he asked me to post this for him

I was sure the girls never made it to the UK in 1967 - I would have noticed so I did a bit of digging. That photo's from 1965 -they were over here briefly on a promotional visit, that must be when those Dutch pics were taken.

You were right about Thank Your Lucky Stars - fortunately I have an episode guide which lists who was on.

AIR DATE June 26, 1965

Dusty Springfield, The Searchers, The Rolling Stones, The Marvelettes,
    Solomon Burke, Them, The Pretty Things

God, I'd love to see that Their new single at the time was "I'll Keep On Holding On".

Dezo Hoffman, if I remember rightly, was the main photographer for
    Record Mirror. A couple of years ago there was an exhibition of his
    work at an art gallery in Glasgow but the publicity was all about the
    real big names,Stones, Beatles etc.

Thank you Davie.

PS The Marvelettes were also on Ready Steady Go during the same visit. This will also be the time when that famous picture of them was taken with Big Ben [[that's a clock not a person!) along the Embankment...roughly about where Temple Underground station is situated.

I was glad to see that Gladys made the Grammy tribute. Perhaps a first step top getting them in the Hall of Fame?

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I was glad to see that Gladys made the Grammy tribute. Perhaps a first step top getting them in the Hall of Fame?
    Still can't help feeling a little sad that it's all a little too late for Gladys

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    My sentiments are with Top Diva on this one.

Thank you - she was ROBBED "Larry the Crooked Crook" big time - with his ill talented fake groups. - And it really hurt her and stood in the way of her being able to perform and tour easily. He is an evil greedy man.

I pray she will always be remembered!

This is in response to a request from Marybrewster. I found the poem "Motown Lady". It was actually written by Glady Horton and Gladys sent me a letter stating that Betty Kelly, of Martha and the Vandellas requested to read it at our Florence Ballard Exhibition back in 1991 in Westminster, California. I am including more than just the poem as I have handwritten notes from Gladys introducing the concept of the poem.
    "Motown Lady: This poem was written in the year 1986 by Gladys Horton of the Marvelettes. On behalf of all of the female singers of the 60's who embraced Motown Records with their ingenious ability to really deliver those Great Messages in all those Great Songs of that time and era. "We made the whole world open their hearts and their ears and listen, sing along, and truly want to be a part of what we were doing. It was our era and I call it "Unity" in the Name of Music." Our voices helped nations to grow up in a healthy, prosperous, dedicated musically inspirational environment. Although each Motown Lady was different and unique in her own way and style. We were also so much alike, just as if we were really "ONE". All determined to work for the same "Cause". To make our mark on society and humanity an everlasting, unforgetable Legendary Age of the forever growing times in music.

And so the poem goes: "Motown Lady" You have survived!! Motown Lady I'm glad your alive. Still singing and showing how tough you are. Still glowing and showing you are the Star. Motown Lady, We can't forget just how you took a song and lit up all our dreams and hopes it seemed and how you always faced the test that made you "No Doubt" the very best. Then gave the world and all the rest of us a reason to make a quest. Yes, Motown Ladies....you inspired us all. You made us want to stand big and tall. You kept it all going, by sharing. We had to Keep Holding and Molding the future that was destined to be ours Unfolding. Motown Lady, You are quite a lady. Tho through the years you might have had to shed some tears despite the fact material things you may lack. The Greatest Gift is in "Giving Back"! The truth, the Hope and the Love and All the Joy in the Sound of "Music". "That's why Motown Lady, you shall never lose it.!!!!

That is the poem written by Gladys and delivered by Betty. I typed it with the same capitals and quotes placed in the poem by Gladys in her handwritten notes. I hope you enjoy reading this. I am very happy to have come across the poem. I also found my original interview I did with Gladys regarding the time Florence Ballard was a member of the Marvelettes filling in for Wanda Young. This was a special interview found in Alan Whites Florence Ballard Fan Club newsletter and most of the interview with Gladys was regarding the time Florence spent on tour with the Marvelletes as well as Gladys' thoughts about Florence, Mary and Diana.

Much appreciated Westlandboy. Thank you very much.

I have to say your interview was a bit of an eye opener at the time. There was an incredible amount of new information that came to light. Thank you for allowing it to be put in that newsletter.

I found a pic of me and Gladys from 2001 at LA Pride.

Name:  G&r1.JPG
Views: 1962
Size:  55.8 KB

Here's one of her on stage.

Name:  Gladys3.JPG
Views: 1133
Size:  58.2 KB

I just stumbled upon this site and saw your post. I thought you might want to read my brief tribute to Gladys Horton, which I wrote at the time of her death. Enjoy. http://mcantil.com/r-i-p-gladys-horton/

I`m saddened by this news.Farewell Gladys and thank you for those wonderful recordings which will be treasured always.R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    I`m saddened by this news.Farewell Gladys and thank you for those wonderful recordings which will be treasured always.R.I.P.
    I wanted to post some of the Marvelettes most beloved recordings with Gladys Horton on lead, as the coverage on her death was scant on tv, i saw maybe three news reports on her death on the tv.

Please Mr. Postman
    Someday Someway
    Playboy
    Way over There
    Beachwood 45789
    My Daddy Knows Best
    Too Many Fish In The Sea
    Mix It Up
    Keep Off No Trespassing
    Twistin Postman
    strange I know
    Silly Boy.
    You Can Bet Your Bottom Dollar
    Johnny Behave
    Tonite Was Made For Love.

Another legend gone,as a kid before i knew of the supremes or temps i was groovin to the sounds of[please mr.postman]from ms.gladys horton and the marvelous marvelettes,thank you ms.horton for the wonderful music and great live performances...r.i.p.

I guess many of us forgot this happened; was a surprise to me as well.

smark21 Guest
    Gladys Horton died over a year and a half ago. Did you forget she died, or have you not heard the news until now when this thread got bumped to the top of the Motown forum?

I actually forgot she died...........but remembered as I read this.