[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson Stoned Love 8/27/2017

Now this is something special. I am happy to hear her singing "Stoned Love" again and sounding so GOOD! She is the only one that can do this song now and keep it close to the original recording. Thank you Luke@!

I'm very glad she's put it back into her set, but, to me, it seems to demand a larger instrumentation than is possible with a small ensemble and might be better for gigs with a larger group of musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    I'm very glad she's put it back into her set, but, to me, it seems to demand a larger instrumentation than is possible with a small ensemble and might be better for gigs with a larger group of musicians.
    Missing those strings huh?

I thought the same thing though Mary does a great job ! Has she ever sang Up the Ladder in Her shows?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I thought the same thing though Mary does a great job ! Has she ever sang Up the Ladder in Her shows?
    I don't recall her singing "Up the Ladder to the Roof" in her concerts. I was thinking that she would kill me if she would do a sample of "Red Hot" in her shows today. Her audiences will love it.

Absolutely. I think people yelled for her to do it at BBKings and she acknowledged them and said something like not tonight

She should sing "Touch", maybe that song is little too high for her now, but I wouldn't mind if she lowered the key.
    You Danced My Heart Around The Stars is another song that deserves a live version, as well as: "Time To Move On", is unbelievable how this song was released but was never promoted on her shows or on Tv. She could sing other songs like: Turn Around, U, Pick Up The Pieces, Red Hot, and the list goes on...

This is beautiful. I would love it if she added "Red Hot" to her set.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Now this is something special. I am happy to hear her singing "Stoned Love" again and sounding so GOOD! She is the only one that can do this song now and keep it close to the original recording. Thank you Luke@!
    Great stage presence and took control of that song and made it hers. Background was damn good too. Does Mary just keep getting better?!

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Great stage presence and took control of that song and made it hers. Background was damn good too. Does Mary just keep getting better?!
    She sticks strictly to the original tempo and melody. I've heard versions by others where I could not even recognize the song. Mary's voice is still very powerful.

Nice clip and yes Mary's voice sounds fine.

Mary sounds fine which is more than I can say about her backing band!

I like this a lot. Thanks for posting. She is not trying to shout through the song, as she is prone to do in some recent performances. This is a very intimate rendition, her specialty. Like others, I would LOVE to hear her sing Up the Ladder or Red Hot. There must be a good reason she doesn't do them. I've seen her several times live and never get tired of her interpretations.

Jean is rolling over in her future grave.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I like this a lot. Thanks for posting. She is not trying to shout through the song, as she is prone to do in some recent performances. This is a very intimate rendition, her specialty. Like others, I would LOVE to hear her sing Up the Ladder or Red Hot. There must be a good reason she doesn't do them. I've seen her several times live and never get tired of her interpretations.
    She performed "Red Hot" in every show for years. She put it to rest in the early 90s.

I wanted to get to this performance but I couldn't… As Mary ages, like all singers, her range has begun to tighten, but unlike most singers, Mary has adjusted the songs to accommodate for her new range without trying to hit notes that are no longer there…… What is remarkable about this, unlike Dionne, Mary has not had her charts professionally redone as she is musician enough to make these adjustments on her own as she goes through her song. I'm very very proud of her!