[REMOVE ADS]

Mariah before Aretha?!!? Come now.

Any such survey that has Teena Marie and does not have Dionne Warwick is bogus.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Any such survey that has Teena Marie and does not have Dionne Warwick is bogus.
    Agreed... and we have Linda Rondstadt but no Joni Mitchell!!

Such lists are irrelevant because we all have our own definition of "best".

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmo View Post
    Agreed... and we have Linda Rondstadt but no Joni Mitchell!!

Such lists are irrelevant because we all have our own definition of "best".
    Exactly! Joni should be top 5, at the very least.

wonder_woman Guest
    No Linda Jones

And no Gladys

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  21.1 KB
    Here is MY top 20, with 3 singers from the '70s/'80s!!! When have I EVER mentioned music as "new" as The '80s???

1 Gloria Lynne
    2 Dee Dee Warwick
    3 Sarah Vaughn
    4 Darlene Love
    5 Dionne Warwick
    6 Betty Everett
    7 Billie Holiday
    8 Whitney Houston
    9 Dinah Washington
    10 Brenda Holloway
    11 Jeanette “Baby” Washington
    12 Barbra Streisand
    13 Carmen McRae
    14 Nancy Wilson
    15 Cissy Houston
    16 Aretha Franklin
    17 Natalie Cole
    18 Gladys Knight
    19 Mary Wells
    20 Ella Fitzgerald

That was right off the top of my head, hard to leave off Barbara Lewis, Patti Drew, Carmen Taylor, Lyn Roman[[AKA Linda Griner), Carolyn Crawford, Willie Mae "Big Mama" Thornton, Memphis Minnie, Darlene McCrea, Barbara English, Irma Thomas, Carla Thomas, Doris Troy, Martha Reeves, Ortheia Barnes, Jan Bradley, La Vern Baker, Tina Turner, Mahalia Jackson, and probably two score Jazz singers I probably forgot to list.

A lot of the so-called "singers" on their list aren't all that good at singing compared to many from 70 to 50 years ago. Celine Dion doesn't have all that much range and doesn't use her whole voice. There are others on the list who can't come close to Dionne Warwick, Whitney Houston or Gloria Lynne in what they could do with their voices.
    Last edited by robb_k; 09-05-2017 at 10:30 PM.

I would need to see Ella Fitzgerald and Nancy Wilson on their list before I could take it seriously. Nice list you have Robb.

Nice list. Darlene Love?

No Gladys, Dionne, Diana, Dusty, Ella, Sarah, Nancy ? Nice to see Etta on there, but any list that contains Janet Jackson and Madonna cannot be taken at all seriously. Neither of these two "singers" can actually sing. Interesting list, but not to be taken too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    No Gladys, Dionne, Diana, Dusty, Ella, Sarah, Nancy ? Nice to see Etta on there, but any list that contains Janet Jackson and Madonna cannot be taken at all seriously. Neither of these two "singers" can actually sing. Interesting list, but not to be taken too seriously.
    And you need to add Chaka Khan to the list of those deemed not worthy!! She, like Dusty, Diana, Ella etc has influenced a whole generation of singers.

I agree with you Bluebrock!

Gladys will ALWAYS be #1 In My Book !

Top twenty is always fun...ella-sarah-dinah-aretha-dionne-betty everett-mary wells-carla-patti-chaka-linda jones-teena-gladys-nancy-betty carter-doris day-etta-beyonce-theora kilgore-brenda holloway.

Just saw Darlene Love at her NYC Christmas show. Looks and sounds amazing. It's a shame she never had a proper recording career.

I find these lists both fun and worthless. Fun because I'll seek out a singer who I've not been thinking of lately and worthless because they are just 1 person's [[or editorial board's) opinion. Whatevs.

all lists are subject to opinion, and style preference. I tend to run heavy on Pop/Rock and Country....my top 2 overall for warmth and feeling would be Connie Francis and Patsy Cline....for cool...Dinah Washington, and Rosanne Cash...[[yes...Rosanne runs on the cool side, style wise) for range and power Ann Wilson of Heart. I also love Tina for many things...there are so many over looked I&TT RnB cuts..Soul wise, Gladys & Aretha for sure. Millie Jackson, Chaka, Mavis Staples and Diana. the big show biz style belters like Barbra and Bassey tend to make me feel like I'm being yelled at sometimes. Janis and Whitney are both favs, and each had career that was cut too short.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    all lists are subject to opinion, and style preference. I tend to run heavy on Pop/Rock and Country....my top 2 overall for warmth and feeling would be Connie Francis and Patsy Cline....for cool...Dinah Washington, and Rosanne Cash...[[yes...Rosanne runs on the cool side, style wise) for range and power Ann Wilson of Heart. I also love Tina for many things...there are so many over looked I&TT RnB cuts..Soul wise, Gladys & Aretha for sure. Millie Jackson, Chaka, Mavis Staples and Diana. the big show biz style belters like Barbra and Bassey tend to make me feel like I'm being yelled at sometimes. Janis and Whitney are both favs, and each had career that was cut too short.
    Right? And if one is being technical how could Judy Collins and Linda Ronstadt be overlooked?