[REMOVE ADS]

Copyright Infringement on Amazon

As a seller on Amazon [[with 15 sales over 14 years!) I was surprised to be notified that my listing for David Ruffin's Solo Albums Volume 1 was delisted following receipt of a notice from Ingrid R Taylor of Chervalin Publishing alleging copyright infringement. How my listing for a used item infringes any copyright at home in the UK or anywhere else was not explained. As Amazon automatically delists following complaint, the only remedy is to persuade Taylor to rescind the original comlplaint.I wonder what is going on? Any distribution rights do not apply for used items.

I don't believe that selling a used original copy [[non-bootleg) of a CD constitutes copyright infringement. It sounds like perhaps this legal professional who reported your listing has not done their homework and believes that this release is a bootleg. You are certainly acting within your rights because used music items are sold by the millions around the world without issue. This person is misinformed.

I just saw that there is a second thread on this discussion, further down. Looks like the issue is that Amazon is cracking down on independent sellers that are offering titles through their marketplace, due to the influx of bootlegs. It is likely that both parties automatically assumed you were selling a bootleg copy. It is becoming more of a problem now, as ebay is also now flooded with tons of bootleg copies of CDs made in China. I've even seen some listings for Motown titles. Everyone wants their money/royalties, and rightfully so...but when it starts to impact the honest consumers like you and me, it starts to become frustrating.

I assume that this is her.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ingridtaylor/

https://www.manta.com/c/mhw0qc5/cher...ishing-company

Something fishy here I think. Both CDs are the same David Ruffin one and her company is not a multi national.
    Last edited by copley; 09-04-2017 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by markbellchambers View Post
    As a seller on Amazon [[with 15 sales over 14 years!) I was surprised to be notified that my listing for David Ruffin's Solo Albums Volume 1 was delisted following receipt of a notice from Ingrid R Taylor of Chervalin Publishing alleging copyright infringement. How my listing for a used item infringes any copyright at home in the UK or anywhere else was not explained. As Amazon automatically delists following complaint, the only remedy is to persuade Taylor to rescind the original comlplaint.I wonder what is going on? Any distribution rights do not apply for used items.
    Good to know it's not just me who has been targetted. I challenged Amazon about this, and within less than 24 hours, they had reinstated my copy for sale. I didn't contact the alleged owner of the copyright [[see the other thread relating to this which provides her name / email address). I had never heard of her, and Amazon seems to have immediately taken her word, but luckily they did respond to my complaint.

It seems too easy for people to make a lodge a bogus complaint at Amazon which that company takes seriously. I'm now going to move all my items for sale to other companies [[and I've been selling on Amazon for years).

Never mind, the auction of my Motown vinyl takes place this month - that should help :-)

Latest news

Quote Originally Posted by gordy_hunk View Post
    Good to know it's not just me who has been targetted. I challenged Amazon about this, and within less than 24 hours, they had reinstated my copy for sale. I didn't contact the alleged owner of the copyright [[see the other thread relating to this which provides her name / email address). I had never heard of her, and Amazon seems to have immediately taken her word, but luckily they did respond to my complaint.

It seems too easy for people to make a lodge a bogus complaint at Amazon which that company takes seriously. I'm now going to move all my items for sale to other companies [[and I've been selling on Amazon for years).

Never mind, the auction of my Motown vinyl takes place this month - that should help :-)
    I have sent Amazon a counter notice and am waiting for a reply. The other sellers have been de-listed on Amazon, and it appears to be happening on Discogs as well.