[REMOVE ADS]

Ebony Magazine 50 Greatest Male Singers?

Michael Jackson made the front cover and Marvin Gaye the back, but I paged through the actual magazine and was shocked that Levi Stubbs, David Ruffin, Eddie Kendricks and others were not even mentioned!

https://www.lipstickalley.com/thread...ngers.1194613/

Did Paul Robeson make the list?

edafan

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    Did Paul Robeson make the list?

edafan
    Yes he did, as well as Smokey, Nat King Cole and Keith Sweat. Keith Sweat?

huntergettingcaptured Guest
    It's really weird that when people talk about male soul singers, David, Levi and Eddie routinely are overlooked. I just wonder if it's because they were Motown artists, and for the bulk of the general public, Motown is its own genre- not totally soul, not totally pop, not totally rock- just Motown. So the people who come up with these lists just don't consider them as "Soul" singers. But then that doesn't explain why Smokey and Marvin made it... I've always felt David and Levi were always criminally under appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yes he did, as well as Smokey, Nat King Cole and Keith Sweat. Keith Sweat?
    Keith Sweat? I can sing better than him. I recall him being totally outclassed on his collaboration with Gerald Levert and Johnny Gill. Now that pair really could sing.

Quote Originally Posted by huntergettingcaptured View Post
    It's really weird that when people talk about male soul singers, David, Levi and Eddie routinely are overlooked. I just wonder if it's because they were Motown artists, and for the bulk of the general public, Motown is its own genre- not totally soul, not totally pop, not totally rock- just Motown. So the people who come up with these lists just don't consider them as "Soul" singers. But then that doesn't explain why Smokey and Marvin made it... I've always felt David and Levi were always criminally under appreciated.
    I have said for years that Levi Stubbs was the best male R&B/Soul singer of them all. He could sing Pop just as well, but he was definitely a great Soul singer!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Keith Sweat? I can sing better than him. I recall him being totally outclassed on his collaboration with Gerald Levert and Johnny Gill. Now that pair really could sing.
    Gerald Levert didn't even make the list. His father, Eddie Levert did. Dennis Edwards did not make the list, but Chris Brown did.

I also noticed that Johnny Mathis did not make the list, but Rafael Sadiq did.

These kinds of lists are subjective so I hardly ever have a problem with them. Everyone's list would be different if we all compiled one. I'm not sure Smokey would make my personal list. He might, but I can't be sure. I'm positive Keith Sweat wouldn't make my list. He's made some fantastic music over the years- I keep his first two albums heavy in rotation- but vocally he really isn't a good singer, IMO. Eddie K and David R and Levi are easily on my list. Wouldn't even have to think about that.

Whaaaaaa? No David Ruffin?!! No Levi Stubbs?!! No Dennis Edwards!!? What kinda list is this? Lol

So Michael, Marvin and Smokey made it, and Gerald Levert did too. Cool. Did Stevie?

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Whaaaaaa? No David Ruffin?!! No Levi Stubbs?!! No Dennis Edwards!!? What kinda list is this? Lol

So Michael, Marvin and Smokey made it, and Gerald Levert did too. Cool. Did Stevie?
    Gerald Levert did not make the list. Stevie Wonder did as well as, Andre Crouch?

Gerald Levert did not make the list. Stevie Wonder did as well as, Andre Crouch?
    Whoops, sorry Marv, I meant Eddie Levert. I'm not familiar with Gerald really. I'll have to check him out.

Peabo Bryson is not even on the list but D'Angelo is!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Whoops, sorry Marv, I meant Eddie Levert. I'm not familiar with Gerald really. I'll have to check him out.
    Tom Gerald was lead singer of the group Levert in the 80s. They recorded some fantastic stuff. Gerald's solo stuff in the early 90s is pretty good too. As time wore on his song selection wasn't to my liking. But he's definitely his father's son. He and Eddie could tear a song up.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Tom Gerald was lead singer of the group Levert in the 80s. They recorded some fantastic stuff. Gerald's solo stuff in the early 90s is pretty good too. As time wore on his song selection wasn't to my liking. But he's definitely his father's son. He and Eddie could tear a song up.
    Ooh, sounds good. Thanks RanRan. I luuurve Eddie Levert's voice so I'm bound to like Gerald too.

These kinds of lists are subjective so I hardly ever have a problem with them. Everyone's list would be different if we all compiled one.
    True, very true. I am sure my list would turn a few heads and raise a few questions. I get the impression that these lists are compiled by people covering a fairly wide age base; I feel the same way about Unsung's choices on who to do a show about. They seem to want to please everyone, but that's an impossible task.

Gerald Levert didn't even make the list. His father, Eddie Levert did. Dennis Edwards did not make the list, but Chris Brown did.
    Chris Brown can hold a tune but is he really better than Gerald Levert, Dennis Edwards, David Ruffin, Johnny Mathis etc?, and i agree with you about Levi Stubbs. That guy could make anything sound good. I cannot take this list even half seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    True, very true. I am sure my list would turn a few heads and raise a few questions. I get the impression that these lists are compiled by people covering a fairly wide age base; I feel the same way about Unsung's choices on who to do a show about. They seem to want to please everyone, but that's an impossible task.
    You're probably right. I imagine the list is the result of a survey which was probably given to a diverse age group.

Chris Brown can hold a tune but is he really better than Gerald Levert, Dennis Edwards, David Ruffin, Johnny Mathis etc?, and i agree with you about Levi Stubbs. That guy could make anything sound good. I cannot take this list even half seriously.
    Again, "better" is subjective. You'd really have to answer your own question. No right or wrong here. Chris Brown is one of the more vocally talented of the artists today. Unfortunately he believes his audience is better served by giving them a voice bogged down in electronics instead of straight singing. On it's own [[Chris' voice) the boy is bad. But he comes from a different tradition than those great voices you mention. Gerald, Dennis, David, they were steeped in soul. Johnny Mathis crooned. Johnny and the rest of those guys were giving you the best that their voice had to offer, selling the lyric with their interpretation. I think they understood that it was the voice that captures the public's attention slightly before anything else does [[aside from an ear catching intro). Chris Brown and some of the other talented vocalists today seem to concern themselves with having the hottest beats or the dirtiest lyrics. Their off the stage antics are designed to keep people talking. Meanwhile their God giving vocal abilities are an after thought. A shame really.

Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by huntergettingcaptured View Post
    These gentlemen voices changed music forever, but they get sadly overlooked.

Ali-Ollie Woodson should have been included.

Again, "better" is subjective. You'd really have to answer your own question. No right or wrong here. Chris Brown is one of the more vocally talented of the artists today. Unfortunately he believes his audience is better served by giving them a voice bogged down in electronics instead of straight singing. On it's own [[Chris' voice) the boy is bad. But he comes from a different tradition than those great voices you mention. Gerald, Dennis, David, they were steeped in soul. Johnny Mathis crooned. Johnny and the rest of those guys were giving you the best that their voice had to offer, selling the lyric with their interpretation. I think they understood that it was the voice that captures the public's attention slightly before anything else does [[aside from an ear catching intro). Chris Brown and some of the other talented vocalists today seem to concern themselves with having the hottest beats or the dirtiest lyrics. Their off the stage antics are designed to keep people talking. Meanwhile their God giving vocal abilities are an after thought. A shame really.
    You make some valid points here. I agree that Chris Brown has a decent voice and if he was given some vintage songs to perform with old fashioned production values i suspect he would sound rather good, but of course that is not his target audience.
    I saw him live a few years back as support to Rhianna, and he just blew her away on stage.

Ali-Ollie Woodson should have been included.
    In my opinion this guy tied with David Ruffin as the finest ever Temptations vocalist. He was awesome on record and stage. He really did not get the props he deserved, and his premature death greatly saddened me.

I agree that Chris Brown has a decent voice and if he was given some vintage songs to perform with old fashioned production values i suspect he would sound rather good,
    So do I. And he's not the only one.

In my opinion this guy tied with David Ruffin as the finest ever Temptations vocalist. He was awesome on record and stage. He really did not get the props he deserved, and his premature death greatly saddened me.
    Eddie, David and Ali are hands down my three favorite Tempts voices. Ali was a beast. He really should be more famous.