[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes '75 lp review - D Ross Project

Man - he's moving quickly through the 70 sups albums. I hope he'll also consider doing a review of the recent collections w all of the unreleased material too

Overall I think this is pretty fair

https://dianarossproject.wordpress.c...supremes-1975/

For the most part I do agree with his review. I thought Mary did a good job in where is it I belong

Solid review of my favorite Supremes album. I like every track the group recorded for the album sessions, so it's hard to say which songs were best to make it into the released version. I probably would lean towards a cut with more dance tracks, but Scherrie does shine on the Ivey and Woodford songs. The multiple versions of "Give Out, But Don't Give Up" and "The She-La Bandit" also show how easily Mary and Scherrie [[and even Cindy) could have taken on alternate leads throughout the album, as referenced in the review of "Early Morning Love".

I would say I would add bend a little and can we love again and take out this is why I believe in you and where do I go from here

The girls did enough tracks to do 2 lps. One could have been pop using the Ivey Woodford tracks plus Its all been said and Shoop Shoop

Then a disco lp using the other tracks

I liked this album when it was released and think its one of their best, no Andantees, no Blossoms....all Supremes.
    I would remove Where Is It I Belong n This Is Why I Believe n included Sha La Bandit and Bend A Little.
    I think this would have made the album a bit stronger.
    I also feel if the ladies performed these songs live and dropped the standards it also may have done better. I would have also done a follow up with the producers
    Can We Love Again is strong and I would have replaced Where Do I Go From Here ,which I think needed a remix
    Last edited by daviddh; 08-20-2017 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    The girls did enough tracks to do 2 lps. One could have been pop using the Ivey Woodford tracks plus Its all been said and Shoop Shoop

Then a disco lp using the other tracks
    I've thought the same thing: one pop album and one disco album. Not a dud in the batch, and I recall reading about a couple of other titles that did not make it onto the "Let Yourself Go" box set.

I think the majority of the stronger tunes were left in vault. Bend A Little. I can never recover. Can we love again

My alt version of the lp would be

Side A
    He's My Man [[extended version)
    I can never recover
    Can we love again
    Seed of love
    Where do I go from here
    This is why I believe in you

Side B
    It's all been said before
    Color my world blue
    Give out but don't give up
    You turn me around
    You can't stop a girl in love
    Dance fever

I always liked this album though it suffers a bit from having no standout tracks, although "He's My Man" comes very, very close. Still, it had a fresh, new sound and didn't really have much of a connection to prior Supremes' LPs, in my opinion.

The writer is so good at what he does that even when I disagree with him, I find myself respecting his opinion. I can't wait to read his review of my all time favorite Supremes LP - of any lineup - which should be next on his list to review, "High Energy."

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I liked this album when it was released and think its one of their best, no Andantees, no Blossoms....all Supremes.
    I would remove Where Is It I Belong n This Is Why I Believe n included Sha La Bandit and Bend A Little.
    I think this would have made the album a bit stronger.
    I also feel if the ladies performed these songs live and dropped the standards it also may have done better. I would have also done a follow up with the producers
    Can We Love Again is strong and I would have replaced Where Do I Go From Here ,which I think needed a remix
    Totally agree about replacing "where is it i belong". What a dull and dreary dirge that was.. "this is why i believe in you" was vocally fine but too frantic. No way should "bend a little" have been left off the album. Those two apart it was an excellent album, but it's failure confirmed my thoughts that the Supremes were all but finished despite the excellence of the pair of yet to be released albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornton View Post
    I've thought the same thing: one pop album and one disco album. Not a dud in the batch, and I recall reading about a couple of other titles that did not make it onto the "Let Yourself Go" box set.
    I didn't know there were a couple of unreleased tracks still in the vaults. I would have prefered to have heard these rather than the alternate versions

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I didn't know there were a couple of unreleased tracks still in the vaults. I would have prefered to have heard these rather than the alternate versions
    I remember the titles "Look What You've Done To Me" and "Another Saturday Night", which might be a Sam Cooke cover. I also remember the title "Got My Dancin' Shoes On [[Gonna Dance All Night)", but that could very well have been one of the takes of "Dance Fever" with an alternate title. Who knows if these were finished tracks, demos, or just rumors.

Paul does a good job.

I understand his opinion when I disagree.

The frantic songs with weak melodies - He's My Man, This is Why I Believe In You - I'd pass. All the Woodford/Ivey stuff was superior to those.

I think they made a bad mistake not releasing It's All Been Said Before; yes, it might have aged but they had a hot production team at the time and they squandered it.

I liked this LP at the time but as people keep saying, you knew there was trouble and things weren't working well.

I always see the hand of Pedro in these decisions; silly decisions that compromised their relationship with their record Company. They ended up just like the other female groups - no real hits, no money coming in, make incoherent choices and lose your record company backing and collapse.

"The Supremes '75". Great album. Very comparable to the music that was out at that time. It should have been promoted more by the company to radio stations. "He's My Man" was played a few times and "Where Do I Go From Here" only once in my area and that was as part of tribute to Florence Ballard who had passed the day before.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    "The Supremes '75". Great album. Very comparable to the music that was out at that time. It should have been promoted more by the company to radio stations. "He's My Man" was played a few times and "Where Do I Go From Here" only once in my area and that was as part of tribute to Florence Ballard who had passed the day before.
    They played a song in tribute to Florence that she didn't even sing on? Oh well, at least they observed her passing. Talk about tone deafness, though.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    They played a song in tribute to Florence that she didn't even sing on? Oh well, at least they observed her passing. Talk about tone deafness, though.
    What the DJ did was play the most current songs by Florence's former singing partners. They also played "Ain't Nothing But A Maybe" by Diana Ross [[the Chaka Khan/Rufus cover).

Hey Marv! WJR in Detroit played several songs from that album. I bel the DJ made mention of Mary by name.

solid album solid vocals. but why did they leave gems in the vault.just don't get it

"Colour My World Blue" was my fave track on this album.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Yeah that seems like a classless move. Artist dies, you play a song the artist sang on, not songs of people the artist sang with.