[REMOVE ADS]

Meet The Supremes

What in holy heck is going on with this particular album? Did Motown/Universal not renew the copyright? I'm seeing dozens of bootleg copies of this album being produced by independent record labels.

This one in particular is just not only wrong but unforgiveable - - - they put a picture of Cindy Birdsong on the front cover!

What a way to re-write history and a slap in the face not only to the Supremes' legacy but to the memory of Florence Ballard who sang on this record!

SHAMEFUL!

As it was released in 1962, it has fallen into public domain.

I believe there was some sort of legal loop-hole that allowed this album to fall into public domain and it resulted in all of these bootleg releases. Since then, Universal and other music companies took steps to protect the remainder of their recordings, as we have not seen this happen with any other Supremes albums since then.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I believe there was some sort of legal loop-hole that allowed this album to fall into public domain and it resulted in all of these bootleg releases. Since then, Universal and other music companies took steps to protect the remainder of their recordings, as we have not seen this happen with any other Supremes albums since then.
    I think some sort of legal move occurred which made recordings from 1963 fall into public domain until 2033 instead of 2013.

I vaguely recall someone saying that the powers that be were worried that if 1963 recordings which were originally scheduled to go into PD in 2013, they would have lost untold $$ money from Beatles recordings, as well as other recordings from that year.

So the PD rule was extended by 20 years, making recordings from 1963 and subsequent years eligible for PD 70 years after their original release instead of 50.
    Last edited by reese; 08-20-2017 at 07:09 PM.