[REMOVE ADS]

44 Years ago we lost a great Temptation - Paul Williams

On August 17, 1973 Temptations member Paul Williams was found dead in an alley from a mysterious death. Other than his songs with the Temptations of which he was an integral part, he had a total of 3 solo songs that were released after his unfortunate death.

Two of them appeared in the Motown Temptations One By One anthology: Feel Like Giving Up and Once You Had a Heart. The third one I Need You More Now Than Ever appeared on the Cellarful of Motown Volume 4.

In memory of Paul, if you have any of these two CDs why not play them today in remembrance of a great Temptation singer.

You could also go with his show stopping performance of For Once in my Life or one of my favourite temptations tracks don't look back

Such a great singer. One of my favorite leads of his is from the early days, "Check Yourself". I love that one. His live lead on "The Impossible Dream" with the other Tempts and Supremes is another favorite vocal. A shame things ended so early and so tragic for him but he left behind a fantastic musical legacy.

I remember when they announced it on the radio and then played "I Feel Like Giving Up". Rest in peace Paul.

A wonderful singer indeed. My favourite Paul lead is probably between "Running Away [[Ain't Gonna Help You" and "Don't Take Your Love From Me"... brilliant! RIP Paul
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 08-17-2017 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    On August 17, 1973 Temptations member Paul Williams was found dead in an alley from a mysterious death. Other than his songs with the Temptations of which he was an integral part, he had a total of 3 solo songs that were released after his unfortunate death.

Two of them appeared in the Motown Temptations One By One anthology: Feel Like Giving Up and Once You Had a Heart. The third one I Need You More Now Than Ever appeared on the Cellarful of Motown Volume 4.

In memory of Paul, if you have any of these two CDs why not play them today in remembrance of a great Temptation singer.
    Thanks for reminding us Woodward. I will listen to my favorite Temptations songs with Paul Williams in the lead to commemorate the anniversary of his passing. Continue to Rest In Paradise, Paul Williams.

"Just Another Lonely Night" is my personal favorite. Paul conveys soooooooo much heartache and pain in this song that you can't help but feel it. So much so that I get teary eyed just listening to this song. Paul was a monumental talent.

I think it is truthful to say that Paul was the first Temptations lead singer.
    edafan

What a loss...still. Rest in power.

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    I think it is truthful to say that Paul was the first Temptations lead singer.
    edafan
    I agree wholeheartedly. Between being used considerably less as a lead singer and having his choreography duties taken away had to be devastating.

On August 17, 1973 Temptations member Paul Williams was found dead in an alley from a mysterious death.

Very strange. Paul was left handed. and the gun was PUT in his right hand.

edafan

I'll definitely do a Paul tribute. My list will include
    1. Don't Look Back
    2. I Need You More Now Than Ever
    3. I Can't Think of a Thing At All
    4. I Feel Like Giving Up
    5. I Want A Love I Can See
    6. I Now See You Clear Through My Eyes
    7. Forever In My Heart
    8. Last One Out is Brokenhearted
    9. Farewell My Love
    10. The Further You Look, The Less You See
    11. I Couldn't Cry If I Wanted To
    12. How Can I Forget
    13.Running Away Ain't Gonna Help You

Just to name a few. RIP Paul
    Last edited by biggestfourtops fan; 08-17-2017 at 10:55 PM.

Rest in Heaven Paul

Speaking if Paul, can anyone make out the lyric at the 1:28 mark on I NOW SEE YOU CLEAR THROUGH EYES.

I ran into Paul shortly before his sad and untimely death at the Biffs restaurant in the New Center area. I had known Paul for several years but had not seen or talked to him in the past couple of years. He came and sat down and had breakfast with me and was telling me that he was working on a solo project, we talked about David Ruffins earlier departure from the Temptatons, and other things. When I left we had agreed to remain in touch, but it couldn't have been more than a couple of months later that I belatedly heard that he had died, although I didn't know the circumstances for some time. I can only say, and that those who knew him would agree that he was a kind and caring person, always asking how you were doing, even though I must admit his physical condition looked quite deteriorating at the time of this meeting, like he had been awake all night or something, and I wasn't sure what was the cause...Always wish him to RIP...

I drove past his childhood home yesterday in Ensley! The house has been abandoned for quite sometime now. He and Eddie Kendricks grew up in the same neighborhood as my maternal grandmother and aunts.

Every time I hear the Tempts sing "Baby, Baby I Need You", I think of the stories my grandmother told me about how Paul and Eddie would always be singing together on the street corner from sunrise to well after sunset! Those stories only make the music that much more special to me.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post

RIP. Legend.