[REMOVE ADS]

Meet the New Owner of the Motown Mansion

Interesting... it's a guy called Alan Brown, a "Metro Detroit native and leading researcher and management consultant in the nonprofit arts industry"... seems alright

UPDATE: The contents will soon be auctioned! All you memorabilia heads, take note!:

http://www.nydailynews.com/newswires...icle-1.3468244

I am more curious as to what Mr. Gordy would leave behind of value to be auctioned off. Although possible it does not fall suit with his character. Time will tell but in my opinion it would serve Detroit well to have as a museum. The stairs in front of the house is the only thing I thought took away from the mansion.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I am more curious as to what Mr. Gordy would leave behind of value to be auctioned off. Although possible it does not fall suit with his character.
    I too wonder what "memorabilia" items Berry would have left in the house. From what I've learned though over the years, it sounded like Berry thought the Woodward building was emptied of all the priceless contents, only to learn it wasn't and all of it demolished with the building. Sad for sure.....so IMO it is possible some good items could have been left in the mansion as well....
    Darin

There was a huge amount of Motown memorabilia left among the rumble of the Donovan Building on Woodward. Some people scavenged the site and some of the material ended up on Ebay.

I know Marv....I've seen some of the stuff that was scavenged, as a record dealer friend of mine from Ann Arbor ended up with a pile of it!

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    I know Marv....I've seen some of the stuff that was scavenged, as a record dealer friend of mine from Ann Arbor ended up with a pile of it!
    In a way, I am amazed at how much Motown just left lying around in Detroit, but when I consider that at the time, they probably did not think any of it would be of value in the future. Same thing with all of my comics and sports cards my mom through out years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    In a way, I am amazed at how much Motown just left lying around in Detroit, but when I consider that at the time, they probably did not think any of it would be of value in the future. Same thing with all of my comics and sports cards my mom through out years ago.
    Marv, my mom toosed a bunch of books at the curb years ago and I will be damned if I didnt find the one I wanted at John kings books downtown Detroit. It was the same freaking book 📚 with my handwriting inside. Something told me to go there during lunch when at worked st the Ren Cen.

http://www.canada.com/entertainment/...276/story.html

They say some of the contents of the house that are being auctioned belonged to Diana Ross!

There's your chance.

Looks like the estate sale is in early October for you Detroiters.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    http://www.canada.com/entertainment/...276/story.html

They say some of the contents of the house that are being auctioned belonged to Diana Ross!

There's your chance.
    Thats going to make Marv real happy. LOL

Yea for sure but some others close by can go outbid him.

I'd love to go.

I think they talk about records being available. Maybe I should go on holiday there in October.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Yea for sure but some others close by can go outbid him.

I'd love to go.

I think they talk about records being available. Maybe I should go on holiday there in October.
    If you go to Detroit make sure you ride the new Qline up and down Woodward and have brunch or dinner at Parc in downtown and make sure you get pizza at Supino in Eastern Markett and some real tasty chicken sliders at the Bucharest Grill in Corktown.

I really like Detroit and need to visit my aunt in Highland Park real soon.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Marv, my mom toosed a bunch of books at the curb years ago and I will be damned if I didnt find the one I wanted at John kings books downtown Detroit. It was the same freaking book �� with my handwriting inside. Something told me to go there during lunch when at worked st the Ren Cen.
    I wished I could have been so lucky. I was able to save some magazines from the seventies in the attic and tons of stuff from later on in storage.

Here are details on the estate sale:

MOTOWN MANSION ESTATE SALE

• Estate Sale

• The address for this sale in Detroit, MI 48202 will be available after 9 AM on Wednesday, October 11, 2017.

Thu

Oct 12
    9am to 4pm

Fri
    Oct 13
    10am to 4pm

Sat
    Oct 14
    10am to 4pm

We are excited to announce the estate sale of the Motown Mansion, former residence of Berry Gordy, Jr. This sale will take place in a two parts! ACTUAL ESTATE SALES EVENT: The actual estate sale will run three days in October and it will have a variety of wonderful articles for sale, home furnishings, antiques and one-of-a-kind original Motown Records Company items acquired from Berry Gordy by the current owner. LIVE AUCTION EVENT: The Live Auction will take place at the residence and will occur after the second day of the estate sale. This event will be open to international bidders to acquire exclusive High End Antiques, Historical Detroit Objects and Motown Paraphernalia. All Motown items will be accompanied by a certificate of authenticity! We plan to have on hand, several Motown artists who will be available to autograph the Motown items, making them instant collectibles for the Motown fans!

https://www.estatesales.net/MI/Detroit/48202/1654830

If you look at the right hand side of this photo you will see hanging on the wall painting of all three Supremes [[only Flo's is visible in the pic). These paintings are the same ones that were reproduced and included on their 2 Disc Greatest Hits album released in 1967.

I sure hope more specifics will be available as to what Motown memorabilia will be for sale, in both the sale and auction. I personally would want to know know more details before making the trek to Detroit, especially if it wasn't worth the time off work!