[REMOVE ADS]

Martha Reeves: 'Didn't We'

From 'Natural Resources' - a Martha Reeves solo. Everybody and their mother covered this song, but none better. Listen to this master vocalist and how she uses, and withholds, that extraordinary vibrato. An object lesson on how to really, truely, sing.

Diana owned this song from the Farewell album.

I have trouble with Martha's wild vibrato. It is almost a quiver.

Martha nailed this song. She has such an expressive, natural style. Great job Martha!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Martha nailed this song. She has such an expressive, natural style. Great job Martha!
    Ur right Marv. Martha owned this song. Diane's version pales by comparison. Depth soul passion and range. Will get in touch with you soon.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Ur right Marv. Martha owned this song. Diane's version pales by comparison. Depth soul passion and range. Will get in touch with you soon.
    I had forgotten that Martha had recorded this song. On hearing it again I quite like her version and as someone else has pointed out, she keeps her vibrato under control.

Diana Ross' version from the 'Farewell' album is nice but owes a lot to the wonderful Thelma Houston version from her 'Sunshower' album, right down to the adlib vocals at the end!

Martha is superb on this , though she seems to stray off the melody a bit at times. I love it though

Love the Queen Martha Reeves but I did not like her version of this on the album Natural Resources. In fact I didn't care for most of the songs on that album except I should Be Proud. I had no idea what Motown was doing with them around this time.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Love the Queen Martha Reeves but I did not like her version of this on the album Natural Resources. In fact I didn't care for most of the songs on that album except I should Be Proud. I had no idea what Motown was doing with them around this time.
    NR was put together at the time Martha was in recovery from an addiction and serious emotional health issues so my guess is that the label did the best they could in getting an lp out. I would have preferred fewer covers, certainly but still like the lp very much and think the singing is as good as ever.

I love Martha's version of "Didn't We" and the entire Natural Resources album. It is the first album of hers that I ever remember from when it just came out. [[The others were already oldies to me at the time.) I can see why diehard fans might have had difficult enjoying the LP - clearly it's a departure from the earlier harder driving Vandellas. Smoother, less Motown-ish sounding, some cuts arranged in a Vegas mode. But I think Martha's voice is great on this album. I love her virbrato on "I'm in Love" and "Love, Guess Who," though I remember when I played it for friends they were sometimes put off by her vocal techniques. But I still think it's a great album, and only topped by their last "Black Magic!"

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I love Martha's version of "Didn't We" and the entire Natural Resources album. It is the first album of hers that I ever remember from when it just came out. [[The others were already oldies to me at the time.) I can see why diehard fans might have had difficult enjoying the LP - clearly it's a departure from the earlier harder driving Vandellas. Smoother, less Motown-ish sounding, some cuts arranged in a Vegas mode. But I think Martha's voice is great on this album. I love her virbrato on "I'm in Love" and "Love, Guess Who," though I remember when I played it for friends they were sometimes put off by her vocal techniques. But I still think it's a great album, and only topped by their last "Black Magic!"
    I agree entirely, though I also love 'Sugar N Spice'. On NR I just love [[as you said) the way Martha uses her voice; just masterful. Her reading of 'Didn't We' is peak, starting off as conversational and then sailing. If only someone would release expanded editions of these LPs !