[REMOVE ADS]

Diana & Marvin album question

I recall someone mentioning on a thread that Diana and Marvin only recorded one song together for the album. I can't find the thread and I am keen to establish which song it is.

Can anyone advise please?

[[I have a hunch it's Love Twins BTW).

Thanks.

There is a photo of Diana and Marvin in the studio with Ashford and Simpson, so I'm assuming that one or both of their songs JUST SAY, JUST SAY and I'VE COME TO LOVE YOU SO MUCH [[which didn't make the original album) were done together. Of course, maybe I shouldn't assume.

I think in his last Diana bio, J. Randy Taborrelli says that the trouble started when D&M recorded DON'T KNOCK MY LOVE with Hal Davis producing.
    Last edited by reese; 08-16-2017 at 02:32 PM.

That's what we hear. Diana was unhappy with Marvin's pot smoking in the studio [[she was pregnant) as well as his ... relaxed ... working style. But she never said anything publicly negative about Marvin and the LP is quite good, if not quite electrifying.

I thought it would be Love Twins by the "banter" between them on the track - I guess that could have been staged.

I have read that most of the time, duets have always been recorded separately. What's different is that Motown was a family and so they did things family like.

I think this is just another story that's been passed around since the 70's and is really what is now known as "fake news"; it never really was a story - just to a few people who's whole life is negative stuff about Diana Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I have read that most of the time, duets have always been recorded separately. What's different is that Motown was a family and so they did things family like.

I think this is just another story that's been passed around since the 70's and is really what is now known as "fake news"; it never really was a story - just to a few people who's whole life is negative stuff about Diana Ross.
    "FAKE NEWS??? I, sir,retreat to my fainting sofa. The intullijent amounst us all know that Diana Ross created the Iranian hostage crisis, Brexit, jeggings, climate change, and the 2008 global recession, JUST for starters. Just where, sir, do you get your newxxx information?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    "FAKE NEWS??? I, sir,retreat to my fainting sofa. The intullijent amounst us all know that Diana Ross created the Iranian hostage crisis, Brexit, jeggings, climate change, and the 2008 global recession, JUST for starters. Just where, sir, do you get your newxxx information?
    ... there are also dark-web rumours that Ross is responsible for Justin Bieber and Robin Thicke. Yet, I eschew such ... filth of thought.

I definitely wouldn't qualify this as fake news. I think it's been an established fact that most of the album was recorded separately between the two singers. But it is much ado about nothing. As you've stated, a lot of duets are recorded separately and neither singer has publicly said anything bad about the other. In fact they've both been very complimentary about each other. But it's true that if you're a part of the group wishing to denigrate Diana Ross, you can take this story and turn it into something it wasn't.

For the record, this is one of my absolute favorite albums. Pairing my two favorite singers with one another is music to my ears.

I have to say, from this album I have only properly heard/listened to "You Are Everything" and "Stop, Look, Listen [[To Your Heart)"... both of which I adore. Laidback, relaxed, sublime soul music.

I also downloaded "I'll Keep My Light In My Window" a while back but I think it was a bonus track not on the original LP. It is absolutely fantastic BTW.

I downloaded the entire album just a couple of days ago so will be able to listen to the whole thing now!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 08-16-2017 at 08:56 PM.

Tom, IKMLIMW originally appeared on the POPS, WE LOVE YOU tribute album to Berry Gordy, Sr.

Anyways...!!

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    I recall someone mentioning on a thread that Diana and Marvin only recorded one song together for the album. I can't find the thread and I am keen to establish which song it is.

Thanks.
    Hey rovererab, good question... I remember watching a video with Ralph and Russ discussing the recording of the album, and how Diana and Marvin only recorded one track together like you say, and that the rest were recorded separately. I don't think they said what song it was but lemme try and find it for ya...

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Tom, IKMLIMW originally appeared on the POPS, WE LOVE YOU tribute album to Berry Gordy, Sr.
    Ah, yes, it did, thanks sansradio. I think I downloaded it from that album too.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I have to say, from this album I have only properly heard/listened to "You Are Everything" and "Stop, Look, Listen [[To Your Heart)"... both of which I adore tracks. Laidback, relaxed, sublime soul music.

I also downloaded "I'll Keep My Light In My Window" a while back but I think it was a bonus track not on the original LP. It is absolutely fantastic BTW.

I downloaded the entire album just a couple of days ago so will be able to listen to the whole thing now!
    It's a good LP and I hope you like it. I also like to titles you mention. I think that due to the amazing talent involved all around, back in '73 we were expecting thunder and lightening. In retrospect original songs probably would have been preferable to covers. Nearly 45 years later, I think: two superb and timeless vocalists singing good songs with top-notch arrangements. What's not to like? [[PS: the lp is said to have sold 500,000 in the USA. The realistic among us know that any of the 60's M'twn singers would have been quite happy to move those numbers the decade after!) Happy listening, Tom -

Anyways...!!

Hey rovererab, good question... I remember watching a video with Ralph and Russ discussing the recording of the album, and how Diana and Marvin only recorded one track together like you say, and that the rest were recorded separately. I don't think they said what song it was but lemme try and find it for ya...
    Yay, I found it, thanks to Gary's post in this thread: https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...album-question

Here's the video:

Go three minutes in to hear the discussion about the Diana & Marvin album. And, of course, thanks to Ralph and Russ for uploading the video

Thanks for finding that video Tom! I love the behind the music stuff, the inner workings of the creative process and how the music is actually made, and all of the ingredients that go into it. So interesting to learn that Diana and Marvin were recording full songs and then the verses were mixed! Now I have to hope that an expanded edition of the duet album is on the table at some point with those full versions included, if they still exist. I'd kill to hear them!!

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Thanks for finding that video Tom! I love the behind the music stuff, the inner workings of the creative process and how the music is actually made, and all of the ingredients that go into it. So interesting to learn that Diana and Marvin were recording full songs and then the verses were mixed! Now I have to hope that an expanded edition of the duet album is on the table at some point with those full versions included, if they still exist. I'd kill to hear them!!
    Diana told me she recorded several of the songs as a solo artist so it is reasonable to assume that Marvin did the same. There are a few alternate takes still in the vault. The 90's expanded version was by no means definitive.

John G. Stumpf Guest

Thanks.
    I am reaching out to find out which of the tracks were recorded as duets. If you have the studio session numbers the first one or two would be your best bet. There is enough material for a double album but the tracks have to be blended. An expanded CD might have the Diana Ross solo album version of the album or vice versa. The bonus tracks on the CD were engineered and mixed for the original release but were not used for whatever reason.
    Last edited by John G. Stumpf; 08-17-2017 at 04:43 AM.

John G. Stumpf Guest
    Nick Martinelli who produced tracks on Take Me Higher, One Woman The Ultimate Collection, and the Christmas album has retired to Florida and a my brother's mother in law lives on the same block as him. The symphonic album he produced a Very Special Christmas was Gold BPI certified in the UK. He has completely walked away from the industry. He is only 65.

John G. Stumpf Guest
    I think I may be visiting Florida very soon.
    Last edited by John G. Stumpf; 08-17-2017 at 05:37 AM.

I also find it odd as well as ironic that in the early 70's, when M'tn was beginning to falter a bit and top-10 slots were being assumed by other labels and production styles, the powers that be would have acceded so much space on a high-profile LP like this to cover versions from other labels ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Diana told me she recorded several of the songs as a solo artist so it is reasonable to assume that Marvin did the same. There are a few alternate takes still in the vault. The 90's expanded version was by no means definitive.
    Yes, that's what was said in the video, that the songs were recorded as solos for both. I assumed the reissue with bonus tracks was definitive until this information came to light. I would think with both Diana and Marvin's solo albums getting the deluxe expanded treatment that it has to be a given that the album they did together will receive the same thing. Hopefully someone in the know will soon address this.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I also find it odd as well as ironic that in the early 70's, when M'tn was beginning to falter a bit and top-10 slots were being assumed by other labels and production styles, the powers that be would have acceded so much space on a high-profile LP like this to cover versions from other labels ...
    I never thought about that, but then at that point weren't most of the Motown albums [[other than the ones by self contained artists like Marvin and Stevie) always a mix of originals and covers still?

Anyways...!!

but lemme try and find it for ya...
    Thanks - I'd love to know which song it is!

Yay, I found it, thanks to Gary's post in this thread: https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...album-question

Here's the video:

Go three minutes in to hear the discussion about the Diana & Marvin album. And, of course, thanks to Ralph and Russ for uploading the video
    The lp ended up quite good despite Gaye's unprofessionalism. Gotta say I find it kinda creepy that the guys think it's such a hoot that a pregnant woman would be upset about someone nearby smoking pot. Anyway Gaye sang well, Diana superbly, and Russ did a great job piecing the vocals together; he deserves big credit for the outcome of another hit Motown LP.

Thanks for posting the video, guys. I was about to go looking for it.

To me, 'Love Twins' sounds the most likely track to have been recorded together, particularly with the vocal ad-limbs, they sound as if they are in the same studio. That aside, 'Just Say, Just Say' is the stand out track of the album, fantastic vocals and harmonies from both Diana and Marvin and superb orchestration. Love it.

I thought Love Twins was the standout cut

They ended up choosing a weak cut for the first single which is always troublesome when they do that

I thought Love Twins was the standout cut

They ended up choosing a weak cut for the first single which is always troublesome when they do that
    Hey jrob, do you mean "You're A Special Part Of Me"...? I believe it was released as the lead single from the LP. IMO the song is very good!!!

I always found it strange that the two UK hits from the album, 'You Are Everything' and 'Stop, Look, Listen' were covers from Motown rivals Philadelphia International. The album certainly lacked original material which is a shame when releasing an album by the companies biggest artist. It should have been a massive album.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    I always found it strange that the two UK hits from the album, 'You Are Everything' and 'Stop, Look, Listen' were covers from Motown rivals Philadelphia International. The album certainly lacked original material which is a shame when releasing an album by the companies biggest artist. It should have been a massive album.
    THIS! Right? I said as much last week. Hard to believe there weren't great Motown staff-writer songs that would have been more dynamic. Would be interesting to know who made the song selections and why. And just so ... ironic ... that those covers were from a major competitor.

I also wonder why Marvin Gaye didn't contribute a song or two that he had written. This pairing of artists was so special that I can't believe he wouldn't have been able to write suitable songs with his vast talent.

I also wonder why Marvin Gaye didn't contribute a song or two that he had written. This pairing of artists was so special that I can't believe he wouldn't have been able to write suitable songs with his vast talent.
    Perhaps because he wouldn't have creative control. According to the net: "Since the album was not under Gaye's Tamla contract where Gaye had become the first Motown-established artist to have full autonomous creative control, the album was instead issued under the Motown imprint, which Ross recorded with."

Yes, that's what was said in the video, that the songs were recorded as solos for both. I assumed the reissue with bonus tracks was definitive until this information came to light. I would think with both Diana and Marvin's solo albums getting the deluxe expanded treatment that it has to be a given that the album they did together will receive the same thing. Hopefully someone in the know will soon address this.
    According to the liner notes to LAST TIME I SAW HIM: EXPANDED EDITION, one such track intended to be a Diana/Marvin duet was "Since I Don't Have You."

Good question, rovereab. I had never really thought about that before. I feel like the duet album was more like a Motown-directed thing [[like Marvin's duets with Mary, Kim and Tammi) with staff writers writing and producing the songs, and all Marvin had to do was sing them.

It makes sense now, to learn that these two were not even in the studio at the same and therefore were not singing these tunes together . I wasn't compelled to buy the album , but hearing the singles on the radio back then , I always felt there was a lack of chemistry in these "duets". Rather than singing off each other , they seem to be vocally competing, especially in this one where they sing only back and forth AT each other: not WITH each other---

There's a piercing element to each of their delivery , made all the worse by the equally piercing harmonica. imo.

[[Also does Marvin have trouble enunciating 'mistake'?)

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Those two tracks were actually US hits for The Stylistics on Avco not long before the album was recorded. That's my understanding of how they got onto the album in the first place. [[Very traditional Motown album tracks in that respect.)

Moreover, despite the quality of the Stylistics originals, they never hit big in the UK. This, therefore, left the UK market wide open for cover versions to be hits. That says something about the quality of the songs.

According to the liner notes to LAST TIME I SAW HIM: EXPANDED EDITION, one such track intended to be a Diana/Marvin duet was "Since I Don't Have You."
    I haven't read the liner notes of the expanded edition in years. Didn't remember reading that, but I'm not surprised. Thanks for the info Sans.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    It makes sense now, to learn that these two were not even in the studio at the same and therefore were not singing these tunes together . I wasn't compelled to buy the album , but hearing the singles on the radio back then , I always felt there was a lack of chemistry in these "duets". Rather than singing off each other , they seem to be vocally competing, especially in this one where they sing only back and forth AT each other: not WITH each other---

There's a piercing element to each of their delivery , made all the worse by the equally piercing harmonica. imo.

[[Also does Marvin have trouble enunciating 'mistake'?)
    "My Mistake" is probably the one mistake on the album for me. It's not a bad song but it doesn't really do much for me and I'm not sure why that was the second single. As for the chemistry, I think on a couple cuts it may have served the two better to actually record together. I don't think the problem was a sound of competition. If nearly every song was recorded as a solo, you have two different artists approaching the song in two different ways, and then a producer splicing those vocals together to create something. For me it didn't produce a sound of two competing singers. If anything negative to be said it may have produced moments where each singer seems to be doing his and her own thing out of sync. For the most part it worked. They sound together on most of the songs.

Oddly enough I read something the other day that said Marvin and Tammi rarely- if ever- went into the studio together. Don't know how true that is, but if true it's certainly testimony that two people don't need to be in the same studio at the same time to create beautiful music together.

Oddly enough I read something the other day that said Marvin and Tammi rarely- if ever- went into the studio together. Don't know how true that is, but if true it's certainly testimony that two people don't need to be in the same studio at the same time to create beautiful music together.
    Quite a few songs on the first two Marvin and Tammi albums were originally Tammi solo recordings that Marvin added his vocals to, including their first hit AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH. Even their last album, EASY, had two solo Tammi recordings that Marvin added his vocals to. But most, if not all of the hits, aside from their first, were recorded together.

Re DIANA AND MARVIN, I have to admit that until I read about it, I had no idea that the vocals were recorded separately. Ditto for some of the Supremes/Tempts duets, William Bell and Judy Clay, and loads of others. Most seem to be compiled so well that it doesn't seem so apparent, at least not to me.
    Last edited by reese; 08-27-2017 at 08:25 PM.

Thanks Reese for the additional information.

I haven't read the liner notes of the expanded edition in years. Didn't remember reading that, but I'm not surprised. Thanks for the info Sans.
    Sure thing, Ran. I've always felt that Diana's rendition was...missing something. Makes perfect sense now.

Sure thing, Ran. I've always felt that Diana's rendition was...missing something. Makes perfect sense now.
    Yes, I agree.