[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Personal Mixes: What are your favorite "home mixes"?

I thought Sunday morning would be a good time for a light topic.

Since I really got into Motown [[particularly The Supremes) in high school about 15 years ago, I've liked making mixes, and re-mixing albums. I think we all have our ideal versions of albums where a favorite track was left off, or a different mix/vocal would have been preferred. I recently made my own mix of the 70's Supremes for a friend, and was reminded how much fun it is to choose tracks.

Anyway, I'd love to read about any re-mixes you've done of your favorite Motown albums. Here's mine for The Supremes 1975 album:

Side A:
    1. He's My Man [[extended version)
    2. Early Morning Love
    3. Dance Fever
    4. This Is Why I Believe In You
    5. I Can Never Recover
    Side B:
    6. Seed of Love
    7. Color My World Blue
    8. Where Do I Go from Here
    9. Bend a Little [[extended version)
    10. Can We Love Again

I love every track MSC recorded for this album, and chose these songs to make it more of a dance album in line with what was being released in the mid-70's.

Thornton I had a mix I made that I appear to have deleted at some point because I can't find it. Anyway it was a mix of Marvin Gaye outtakes from the What's Going On and Lets Get It On sessions to create an album that I might would call Symphony Suite. It's a mix of vocal and instrumental cuts.

Head Title [[aka Distant Lover demo)
    My Love Is Growing
    I Love the Ground You Walk On [[Instrumental)
    Symphony [[Undubbed version)
    I'd Give My Life for You
    Song #3 [[Instrumental)
    I'm Gonna Give You Respect
    Try It, You'll Like It
    Cakes [[Instrumental)
    You Are That Special One
    We Can Make It Baby
    Running From Love [[version 2-Instrumental)

Quote Originally Posted by Thornton View Post
    Here's mine for The Supremes 1975 album:

Side A:
    1. He's My Man [[extended version)
    2. Early Morning Love
    3. Dance Fever
    4. This Is Why I Believe In You
    5. I Can Never Recover
    Side B:
    6. Seed of Love
    7. Color My World Blue
    8. Where Do I Go from Here
    9. Bend a Little [[extended version)
    10. Can We Love Again

I love every track MSC recorded for this album, and chose these songs to make it more of a dance album in line with what was being released in the mid-70's.
    Good lineup. Only one I would remove for sure is "This Is Why I Believe In You". Never cared for it. Glad to see you include "Seed of Love". I can't imagine the silly reason they came up with to leave this song off the final album.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Good lineup. Only one I would remove for sure is "This Is Why I Believe In You". Never cared for it. Glad to see you include "Seed of Love". I can't imagine the silly reason they came up with to leave this song off the final album.
    Thanks! "Seed of Love" has really grown on me, and it wonderfully showcases Cindy's voice. "This Is Why I Believe In You" really doesn't make sense in terms of lyrics, but I love the beat, and the first time I ever saw an MSC clip was them performing this song on Soul Train, so I have a soft spot for it.

Really cool to see other mixes by other artists. Thanks for sharing!

I have one for Diana Ross' Last Time I Saw Him also.

Last Time I Saw Him
    Sleepin
    When Will I Come Home to You
    I Heard a Love Song
    Stone Liberty
    Behind Closed Doors
    I'll Be Here When You Get Home
    Why Play Games
    Get It All Together
    Let Me Be the One

I know some fans are very critical of the original album. I think it was decent but admit most of the tracks are extremely weak. And including "Turn Around" was the dumbest decision of all.

I loved "Seed of Love" from the first moment I heard it. I think it's a great showcase of Mary's voice too. I would have to rank it high on my list of favorite Supremes background vocals. I also think it's a great showcase for Scherrie. She so often hits you full blast with her instrument that it's a nice change up to hear her hold back and still give a stellar performance.