[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    "I Guess I'll Miss the Man" is syrupy?! It's almost jaded [["Some men are simple good men / This man wasn't one"). And the production is much more understated than Webb's work on the album.
    I agree with you, there is a world weary tone to the lyrics as Jean lists all her man's shortcomings but finally admits that 'he was the best to come along'. I like this track but don't think that it is really a 'group' song and would be more suited to a solo singer. Perhaps Diana or Thelma with a Michael Masser production.

As for the album as a whole, I would class it as a heroic failure and give the group kudos for at least trying something different. I can understand that the group felt that they were being left behind by Motown, what with Diana breaking into movies and Stevie, Marvin and Smokey concentrating on their own productions.

I suspect that The Supremes and their manager were expecting an album along the lines of Thelma's 'Sunshower' or the Fifth Dimension's 'Up Up and Away' or' Magic Garden' albums. What they got was something quite different of course.

Jimmy Webb stated in his book that Motown basically left him alone during the recording process. Perhaps if Motown had been less indifferent, the resulting album may have reflected more of the Supremes and less of Jimmy Webb. We can only ponder!

Nice record, very nice arrangement . Not Supremes though imo. More like Dionne Warwick ? [[Did the Supremes ever chart a ballad?)

Very odd , the final word on this, when Jean sings "while" its obviously been edited , replacing the way she originally sang it , perhaps on a higher note ..... which I think , imo, would've sounded much better, shoulda left it alone.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-14-2017 at 03:46 AM.

this is one of the many "what if's" with the 70s Sups.

What if - more Jimmy Webb original songs
    What if - just the Sups on vocals and more shared leads
    What if - the tracks were produced in Jean's range, eliminating some of the strained and shrill vocals
    What if - lead single was 5:30 Plane
    What if - better album cover graphic

on and on

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    this is one of the many "what if's" with the 70s Sups.

What if - more Jimmy Webb original songs
    What if - just the Sups on vocals and more shared leads
    What if - the tracks were produced in Jean's range, eliminating some of the strained and shrill vocals
    What if - lead single was 5:30 Plane
    What if - better album cover graphic

on and on
    Especially your last 3 points