[REMOVE ADS]

Glen Campbell died

[[CNN) — Glen Campbell, the upbeat guitarist from Delight, Arkansas, whose smooth vocals and down-home manner made him a mainstay of music and television for decades, has died, his family announced on Facebook on Tuesday. He was 81.

He was a favourite of my late first wife, Nancy.

edafan
    Last edited by edafan; 08-08-2017 at 04:59 PM.

I loved his music and his TV show. Rest in peace Glen. Thanks!

This was my favorite Glen Campbell record:

A massive loss. RIP to one of the giants of pop and country and yet another major icon of my childhood years.

RIP Glenn. I admired his openness about his Alzheimer's and saw the excellent documentary made about his battle with it. It helped destigmatize it.

RIP music giant Glen Campbell

At the end of October 1968 the Supremes would debut LOVE CHILD on the Hot 100. The following week Glen Campbell would join them on that chart with:

RIP Glen. Loved your music.

Music will never sound this good again. I thank God that I lived through these times......

Interesting pairing. I had never seen this before. Thanks so much for sharing it.

Of course the main link between Glen Campbell and Motown would be song creator Jimmy Webb who made Glen a star with songs like GALVESTON, BY THE TIME I GET TO PHOENIX ,WICHITA LINEMAN, EVERYDAY HOUSEWIFE, amongst others .
    But it was Motown that gave Webb his first break, and while still in his teens the Supremos recorded his first ever commercial release n 1965:

His MACARTHUR PARK would then be a popular tune in the Motown studios and eventually Webb would align himself again with The Supremes commandeering an entire album with them [[with shared billing) in 1972 as currently being discussed here:

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...-Jimmy-Webb-LP

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Of course the main link between Glen Campbell and Motown would be song creator Jimmy Webb who made Glen a star with songs like GALVESTON, BY THE TIME I GET TO PHOENIX ,WICHITA LINEMAN, EVERYDAY HOUSEWIFE, amongst others .
    But it was Motown that gave Webb his first break, and while still in his teens the Supremos recorded his first ever commercial release n 1965:

His MACARTHUR PARK would then be a popular tune in the Motown studios and eventually Webb would align himself again with The Supremes commandeering an entire album with them [[with shared billing) in 1972 as currently being discussed here:

Huh? This is a Glen Campbell Memorial thread. I do not want to focus on Jimmy Webb or the Supremes. Why are you doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Interesting pairing. I had never seen this before. Thanks so much for sharing it.
    You are most welcome David. Glen and Dionne performed together several times over the years.

Here is another one of Glens classic hits, "Galveston" from early 1969:

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Huh? This is a Glen Campbell Memorial thread. I do not want to focus on Jimmy Webb or the Supremes. Why are you doing this?
    Memorial? Actually its a thread [[and not yours BTW ) announcing Glen's passing and I'm simply extrapolating on it . Glen Campbell doesn't really tie in to "Soulful Detroit", but I noticed this angle.
    But hey if not interested , just skip my post dude!

[[and if others find my post out of place I will delete it.)

I always liked this version by him

Memorial? Actually its a thread [[and not yours BTW ) announcing Glen's passing and I'm simply extrapolating on it . Glen Campbell doesn't really tie in to "Soulful Detroit", but I noticed this angle.
    But hey if not interested , just skip my post dude!

[[and if others find my post out of place I will delete it.)

I always liked this version by him
    You don't have to bring up the damned Supremes in every thread either dude! If you were going to do that, why didn't you just start a Glen Campbell thread in the Motown Forum since you are so much into them that you can't give them a rest and discuss Glen Campbell upon his death! Alright dude?

You don't have to bring up the damned Supremes in every thread either dude! If you were going to do that, why didn't you just start a Glen Campbell thread in the Motown Forum since you are so much into them that you can't give them a rest and discuss Glen Campbell upon his death! Alright dude?
    Woah, Marv, relax. I think Boogiedown was just trying to make the connection between Glen and Detroit Soul Music [[Motown) 'cause this is the Soulful Detroit Forum. I thought it was an interesting point to make... the connection a little tenuous though, lol. I don't think he intended to bring this thread into disrepute by mentioning The Supremes. Forgive me for putting words in your mouth Boogiedown, and I'm not having a go at you Marv

honest man Guest

Boogiedown love your clips and Motown related info and it's all true,unlike some arrogant A--- H--- who posts on here,he knows who he is,could you post Honey Come Back love this song by Glen and yes it was recorded by Dorsey Burnette on Motown 64-65 as Chuck Jackson 69 -70 Motown,great posts keep them coming.cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Woah, Marv, relax. I think Boogiedown was just trying to make the connection between Glen and Detroit Soul Music [[Motown) 'cause this is the Soulful Detroit Forum. I thought it was an interesting point to make... the connection a little tenuous though, lol. I don't think he intended to bring this thread into disrepute by mentioning The Supremes. Forgive me for putting words in your mouth Boogiedown, and I'm not having a go at you Marv
    Stay out of my conversation and mind your own business! You know exactly what I am saying here!

Stay out of my conversation and mind your own business! You know exactly what I am saying here!
    Woah, Marv, sorry, I didn't mean to have a go at you. And, yea, I get what you're saying, Boogiedown's post was a bit irrelevant, but I don't think it was intentionally designed to ruin the thread. I was just trying to say things as I saw them. Soz

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Boogiedown love your clips and Motown related info and it's all true,unlike some arrogant A--- H--- who posts on here,he knows who he is,could you post Honey Come Back love this song by Glen and yes it was recorded by Dorsey Burnette on Motown 64-65 as Chuck Jackson 69 -70 Motown,great posts keep them coming.cheers.
    I appreciate your positive feedback honest man, and here's the clip you are seeking :

Of course not all musical roads lead to Motown,
    but it's kind of interesting to take note when they do , as in the case of Glen Campbell.

Jimmy Webb was just an aspiring unknown when Motown took a chance with him, signing him to his very first songwriting contract. Once accepted into the business, his songwriting quickly blossomed , and the songs that unfolded would provide the essential tunes that would unleash Glen Campbell's career .

An amazing aspect to this as reported in wiki:

The first 45 Jimmy Webb ever bought , at the age of 14, was Glen Campbell's premiere charting single: TURN AROUND LOOK AT ME , because he liked the sound of Glen's voice. How at that age , while living in Oklahoma , Webb even became aware of the recording provides an additional twist , as the song was not a notable hit , fizzling at a measly #62 on the Hot 100.

And likely, never in his wildest dreams, would this young boy upon listening to this stalled record , imagine that one day it would be he that would be responsible for carrying this artist into the top 40 and on to super stardom.

No matter though , the two's paths had now crossed and unbeknownst to either, their fate had now been cast!

Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-13-2017 at 03:36 AM.

This was my favorite Glen Campbell record:

I agree.
    Whenever I play this song/video it stays in my brain for a long time.

"I love you more than want you, and I want you for all time"
    very powerful lyrics
    edafan
    Last edited by edafan; 08-13-2017 at 04:21 PM.

Beginning in January 1969, CBS provided Glenn Campbell a weekly slot of airtime to do a variety show titled THE GLEN CAMPBELL GOOD TIME HOUR of which GENTLE ON MY MIND was the theme.
    As his very first performance on the very first episode of his show though, Glen chose this Motown written song performing it in the uptempo Stevie Wonder style :

from what I can tell, FOR ONCE IN MY LIFE, was the only Motown song to be recorded by Glen on any of his albums

honest man Guest
    I appreciate your positive feedback honest man, and here's the clip you are seeking :

Thank you love this song also Jimmy Ruffin recorded it as well as Chuck.Dorsey.on Motown,love 'em all .cheers.

one of the guests appearing on Glen's THE GLEN CAMPBELL GOOD TIME HOUR was The Supremes :

Glen joins in with them at 5:00 to sing HOMEWARD BOUND

An interesting point about Honey Came Back, Jobete litigated claiming that the song was written when Jimmy Webb was a staff writer at Motown. I believe Jobete/Motown were successful with their litigation.