[REMOVE ADS]

Andantes as Supremes Background

Ok, so The Supremes / Diana Ross & The Supremes started using the Andantes as early as the Christmas album, with them substituting for Mary and Cindy pretty much as soon as Cindy came onboard and they had finished releasing all the Flo-backed singles. But when did they stop?

I know we've all had mini disagreements over which songs actually do and do not feature Flo because of the problems in the group at the time.

However, can anyone help me compile, or gather the information for either in whole or in pieces, a list of the songs the Andantes are present in, whether Mary/Cindy/Flo were there too or not? Most specifically post-Diana Ross. Because as I understand it, Andantes were often singing along WITH Mary and Cindy/Flo to beef up the harmonies.

I believe the Andantes were on the Christmas album, and were on "Forever Came Today" and on for DRATS singles [[excluding Temptations collaborations). The Waters sisters did Someday We'll Be Together [[and it is debated that they are on No Matter What Sign You Are, and whether or not Marlene Barrow featured in In and Out of Love, You Can't Hurry Love, and Reflections). I heard they are also on STONED LOVE.

Does anyone know how much of the post-Diana Ross singles material featured the Andantes? I think Up the Ladder, Stoned Love, and Everybody's Got the Right to Love all featured the Andantes. Am I wrong?

Were they in Bad Weather, or Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love, or Touch? Does anyone know if they joined in the sessions for the Scherrie Mary Cindy period, or the Scherrie Mary Susaye period?

It would be great if anyone could provide insight into this! I feel like many people think the Andantes left when Diana left but I don't really think that's true! And Wikipedia doesn't seem to be very reliable on this and everything is so hotly debated.

Thanks!!

The andantes left Motown when they moved west. So no andantes are on any if the msc or mss recordings. They aren't on bad weather or I guess ill miss the man. They were added on the floy joy album. Brad had mentioned that they aren't on up the ladder, stoned love everybody's got the right to love, river deep, Nathan Jones and you gotta have love in your heart. As far ad touch, I've heard the andantes were on it but I also heard the blackberries were singing. Now I know people would debate the andantes were on up the ladder, but everyone always forget that jean sang backup ad well, but who knows.

Dont believe they r on stoned love or everybody

Stoned love doesn't sound like just Mary and Cindy to me. I can hear Mary and Cindy specifically in parts but then it sounds like the andantes singing high pitched before Jean sings "can't you feel it." But who knows!

Thanks for the info. So they left around the Jean and Lynda era! Does anyone know the earliest work with the supremes they did !!???

Quote Originally Posted by imakicola View Post
    Stoned love doesn't sound like just Mary and Cindy to me. I can hear Mary and Cindy specifically in parts but then it sounds like the andantes singing high pitched before Jean sings "can't you feel it." But who knows!

Thanks for the info. So they left around the Jean and Lynda era! Does anyone know the earliest work with the supremes they did !!???
    Only Jean Terrell, Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong on "Stoned Love". They recorded all vocals in New York City and Jean sang background with Mary and Cindy. No Andantes are on that record.

The Andantes didn't leave. Motown left them in Detroit like so many others.

Does anyone know the earliest work with the supremes they did !!???
    I can't think of anything they appear on prior to the late 1964 sessions for the country western album. They appear to be completely absent from the group's first three albums and used sparingly throughout the Flo years. I think HDH really liked the Andantes sound, but they seemed to prefer Flo and Mary.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I can't think of anything they appear on prior to the late 1964 sessions for the country western album. They appear to be completely absent from the group's first three albums and used sparingly throughout the Flo years. I think HDH really liked the Andantes sound, but they seemed to prefer Flo and Mary.
    The country album was actually recorded early in 1963. On that album, I think the Andantes might be on BABY DOLL. I believe they are also on the bridge of that same year's STANDING AT THE CROSSROADS OF LOVE.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    The country album was actually recorded early in 1963. On that album, I think the Andantes might be on BABY DOLL. I believe they are also on the bridge of that same year's STANDING AT THE CROSSROADS OF LOVE.
    The initial sessions were in 1963. Aside from "My Heart" and "Banjo Band" those 1963 versions didn't come out until Lost and Found and Motown Unreleased 1963, and I don't hear anyone but the three Supremes on those 1963 cuts. Most of the stuff that ended up on the album were recorded for the second time or the first time, depending on the song, in late 1964 and a couple of those I think have the Andantes added but they don't replace Mary and Flo. "Baby Doll" would be one of the cuts that I'm pretty sure the Andantes are on.

I'm not convinced about "Crossroads". I do think there's another voice on the bridge with Mary and Flo though, but not a group of Andantes. The voice I hear sounds like a guy.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    The initial sessions were in 1963. Aside from "My Heart" and "Banjo Band" those 1963 versions didn't come out until Lost and Found and Motown Unreleased 1963, and I don't hear anyone but the three Supremes on those 1963 cuts. Most of the stuff that ended up on the album were recorded for the second time or the first time, depending on the song, in late 1964 and a couple of those I think have the Andantes added but they don't replace Mary and Flo. "Baby Doll" would be one of the cuts that I'm pretty sure the Andantes are on.
    Thanks for the info. I had no idea some selections were re-recorded later. Given the amount of recording and performing they've done over the years, it is great that Diana and Mary still sound good today.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Thanks for the info. I had no idea some selections were re-recorded later. Given the amount of recording and performing they've done over the years, it is great that Diana and Mary still sound good today.
    I didn't know that either until DFTMC. But it explained why "Baby Doll" always seemed to me to have more of a 1964/65 sound as opposed to 1963.

This is what I complied and what my ears hear. Please don't cite this as fact. I did not include the songs the Andantes provided additional vocals to that contained Mary, Flo & Cindy nor did I include songs that contained vocals by other session singers like the Blackberries, Ashford & Simpson, etc. I did not include the 70's recordings as that is opening a can of worms and there are many session vocalists on tracks that people assume are Andantes. This is a list of just the Andantes doing backgrounds on 60's recordings.

A Little Breeze - 1968
    Any Girl In Love [[Knows What I’m Going Through) - 1966
    Big City Babies Don’t Cry - 1965
    Born Of Mary - 1965
    Can’t Shake It Loose - 1968
    Children’s Christmas Song - 1965
    Discover Me [[And You’ll Discover Love) - 1969
    [[Don’t Break These) Chains Of Love - 1968
    Does Your Mama Know About Me - 1968
    Everyday People - 1969
    Forever Came Today - 1968
    Hey Jude - 1969
    Hey Western Union Man - 1969
    His Love Makes Me Beautiful - 1968
    Honey Bee [[Version 2) - 1968
    How Long Has That Evening Train Been Gone - 1968
    I Can’t Make It Alone - 1967
    I’m Livin’ In Shame [[Version 1) - 1968
    I’m Livin’ In Shame [[Version 2) - 1968
    I’m So Glad I Got Somebody [[Like You Around) - 1969
    If I Ruled The World - 1966
    In The Evening Of Our Love - 1968
    It’s The Same Old Song - 1966
    Joy To The World - 1965
    Just A Lonely Christmas - 1965
    Little Bright Star - 1965
    Little Miss Loser - 1965
    Love [[Makes Me Do Foolish Things) - 1966
    Love Child - 1968
    Loving You Is Better Than Ever - 1969
    MacArthur Park - 1968
    My Christmas Tree - 1965
    My Favorite Things - 1965
    O Little Town Of Bethlehem - 1965
    Our Day Will Come - 1965
    Put Yourself In My Place - 1966
    Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer - 1965
    Sadie, Sadie - 1968
    Santa Claus Is Coming To Town - 1965
    Shadows Of Society - 1969
    Silent Night - 1965
    Silver Bells - 1965
    Someday My Prince Will Come - 1968
    Something For My Heart - 1965
    Strangers In The Night - 1966
    Sweet Thing - 1968
    Tender Is The Night - 1966
    The Composer - 1969
    The Little Drummer Boy - 1965
    The Young Folks - 1969
    There’s No Stopping Us Now - 1966
    Till Johnny Comes - 1969
    Too Much A Little Too Soon - 1965
    Twinkle Twinkle Little Me - 1965
    Up, Up And Away - 1967
    When It’s To The Top [[Still I Won’t Stop Giving You Love) - 1968
    White Christmas - 1965
    Who Can I Turn To [[When Nobody Needs Me) - 1966
    Without A Song - 1965
    You Gave Me Love - 1969
    You’re Nobody Till Somebody Loves You - 1965
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 08-08-2017 at 07:41 PM.

I agree with most of what you wrote. But I heard does your mama know about me was Mary, Cindy and the andantes seeing that they're 2 sets of background vocals

Stoned Love most definitely has the Andantes [[or some session singers) on the song but it sounds very Andante-ish to me. Now don't get me wrong Cindy and Mary are also definitely on the song but it's not just the two of them alone on several parts of the song. Everybody's Got the Right to Love sounds like Mary, Cindy and Jean in the background to me. Up the Ladder sounds like the three of them along with session singers beefing it up even more. I read that Touch includes the Blackberries but I only hear their vocals towards the end of the song. The whole Floy Joy album contains the Andantes singing background with Mary, Cindy and Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I agree with most of what you wrote. But I heard does your mama know about me was Mary, Cindy and the andantes seeing that they're 2 sets of background vocals
    There's no Mary & Cindy on "Does Your Mama Know About Me." It's the Andantes.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I read that Touch includes the Blackberries but I only hear their vocals towards the end of the song.
    "Touch" is Jean, Mary & Cindy with the Andantes.

Stoned love doesn't sound like the andantes are on there. It just sounds like just the girls

Stoned love doesn't sound like the andantes are on there. It just sounds like just the girls
    It is only the Supremes on "Stoned Love".

Brad I find little fault with your list. I do disagree on two songs though. I'm not convinced of "There's No Stopping Us Now", though I do think it's possible. Also "Our Day Will Come" for some reason it has always sounded to me like the Andantes sing through most of it but at the end I hear Diana, whether she's singing with Flo or Mary or what's going on, it reminds me of "Stay In My Lonely Arms" and how Mary and Cindy suddenly appear at the end of the song.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Stoned Love most definitely has the Andantes [[or some session singers) on the song but it sounds very Andante-ish to me. Now don't get me wrong Cindy and Mary are also definitely on the song but it's not just the two of them alone on several parts of the song. Everybody's Got the Right to Love sounds like Mary, Cindy and Jean in the background to me. Up the Ladder sounds like the three of them along with session singers beefing it up even more. I read that Touch includes the Blackberries but I only hear their vocals towards the end of the song. The whole Floy Joy album contains the Andantes singing background with Mary, Cindy and Jean.
    I 100% agree with you! TO me, it is very very clear that the andantes are on the record too. Mary and Cindy sound NOTHING like the andantes.

Especially the part where they sing high pitched "oooOoooooohh!" Right before Jean sings "can't you feel it.....Stoned love"

I'm trying to figure out why to many on here never factor on here that jean sang backup as well.

I'm trying to figure out why to many on here never factor on here that jean sang backup as well.
    That's a good point. But is the Jean singing backup possibility conjecture or has there been talk from Jean, the other Supremes, the producers, etc that there were times when Jean would sing lead and then sing background with Mary and Cindy? This forum is the only place I've seen this mentioned, but I can believe there may have been times when Jean sang with them. Just wondering if there's confirmation of that.

Both Mary and jean mentioned it

That is Jean on background with Mary and Cindy on "Stoned Love". Mary has said so, Jean has said so and Frank Wilson said that he preferred only to use the voices of the Supremes on his productions. No Andantes were in New York when they recorded "Stoned Love".

Both Mary and jean mentioned it
    Thanks for the information BG. Now I have to go back and listen to some of those cuts and see if I can figure out which ones have Jean joining them in the back.

Complete And utter confusion!!!

Lol. I think Andy also mentioned Jean sang in the background.

Yeah but the part of the song I'm talking about sounds nothing like Mary, Cindy, or Jean, in any combination, and they can't replicate it live or ever since!