[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I'll just leave this here. They've moved on. So should we.
    Name:  supremes reunion.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  41.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I'll just leave this here. They've moved on. So should we.
    I second that emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    VG always has good posts. I'm glad s/he hangs on here. And the Ross colour vinyls - I swoon. Just gorgeous.
    Thanks PeaceNHarmoney. I appreciate the comment.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    What?!?!?!? How did I miss Baby Its Me?????. Off to Amazon I go. Damn, just when I thought this thread had no redeeming qualities. Thanks, Vgalindo!!!!
    Your welcome Thanxal. It's really beautiful.

Trust me that picture is not what it seems. A few people here know what really happened that day but Im glad we have a nice pic! I find it interesting the people who speak up for Mary are told to shut up and move on but not others. Now don't y'all forget we can talk about the Andantes and Other topics endlessly but NOT RTL! LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Trust me that picture is not what it seems. A few people here know what really happened that day but Im glad we have a nice pic! I find it interesting the people who speak up for Mary are told to shut up and move on but not others. Now don't y'all forget we can talk about the Andantes and Other topics endlessly but NOT RTL! LMAO
    We can talk about RTL as much as we want and no other member has the right to tell anyone to shut up. Blow it out your ear if you think you can!
    Last edited by marv2; 08-10-2017 at 10:51 PM.

Mary looks great doesn't she? Every 70 year old woman should look that good.

Damn! What happened here? Lol

Ahhh, sorry for being negative but it's this kinda stuff that makes me dislike The Supremes, all of 'em. I know it's bad, but it just puts me off. I mean, if I start forming an opinion about them, I feel like it'll just cause arguments. Ahhhh, sigh

Oh well. Great picture of the two ladies by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Mary looks great doesn't she? Every 70 year old woman should look that good.
    A lot of Mary's beauty comes from within- she is a wonderful human being.

What you mean that pic isn't what it seems? They look happy and that is good enough for me as far as those two are concerned.

That's why I said it's good to have a nice pic!

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    What you mean that pic isn't what it seems? They look happy and that is good enough for me as far as those two are concerned.
    Here's what happened. They were all onstage at the end. Mary placed a kiss on Diana's cheek. There's a photo of it. Diana is smiling at her. They talked privately for a bit backstage after the show. They took photos with the cast and creative team. Mary joined Berry and Diana at the After Party for photos and an interview. Mary went on in to the party. Diana left shortly after. That's what happened.

Marv and Luke. I like the way you voice your opinion but,unless you were there next to Mary and Diana and was privy to their conversation, don't try to start something where there is nothing to rant about. The same for the Ross fans who were thinking the same.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Marv and Luke. I like the way you voice your opinion but,unless you were there next to Mary and Diana and was privy to their conversation, don't try to start something where there is nothing to rant about. The same for the Ross fans who were thinking the same.
    i didn't anything about that picture other than Mary looked hot. I saw and spoke to her after that event and everything was fine. I don't do what some one here do....pretend to read minds. I just ask the person directly if I have question.

That's why I said it's good to have a nice pic!
    They should have put Mary more out front in that pic.....hehehehehehe! She sure has what's up front that counts! LOL!!!

uh OK
    I'm gonna try and get this thread back on track , but I have to back up a bit first with some unfinished business

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    As has been mentioned on this site before...there are Beatles songs that only feature 1 Beatle but theres never any questioning why or how...why is it such a drama with the Supremes...i dont get it.

My new answer would be this is a Motown site . If Beatles fans were lucky enough to have a board of their own like this, you can bet there'd be plenty of ongoing drama on it
    about who recorded what and why .

Jimi LaLumia:
    who cares why? It's done, a million years ago and its not going to be undun[[that was a Guess Who song)

I , for one, care , that's why I started a thread about it . All the Motown stuff being discussed around here can't be undun... so, now what???

and The Beatles were NOT a creative collective, not according to George Harrison or Ringo Starr[[George was the combative ,put upon Ballard of The Beatles,
    Ringo was Mary Wilson) and they have all agreed that Paul was Miss Ross with all those 'Yesterday" "Michelle" solo singles that said Beatles on em; the other three ultimately banded together against Paul towards the end, watch the movie "Let it Be"..

My point here would still be as a creative collective of sorts , no matter the process therein , that collective group has the right to decide how they want to present their resulting works. The Supremes just showed up as singers to be directed by others as such. Now had any of them written material for the group , let's pick Diana, had Diana written a song of any caliper, much less ones as good as MICHELE and YESTERDAY, she, like Paul , should indeed have the primary say as to how that song should be presented and by whom.
    Marv 2:
    Just a singing group? I would have loved to see the Beatles try to "perform" all of that specific choreography and harmonies for all of those songs the Supremes recorded!

Well first of all, each Beatle was a little busy when on stage being a musician , and as far as choreography ?? You mean the swinging of arms and trading places occasionally? Or have I missed something? And yes "just a singing group" and not a very distinctive one at that it seems , with what is it, maybe a dozen interchangeable participants that even now -all these years later- no one seems to know absolutely for sure who it is singing what!!

--------------

Originally Posted by Boogiedown
    Now that you've brought it up mowsville , you've got me curious, did other Motown groups feature solo songs where the other members were totally absent?

reese:
    Off the top of my head, I can think of some Gladys Knight and the Pips recordings that do not feature the Pips, like their versions of VALLEY OF THE DOLLS, FOR ONCE IN MY LIFE, and HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT, which became a hit single.

Martha's version of DIDN'T WE has no Vandellas.

Ah yes - Gladys Knight , I had posted HELP ME MAKE IT on another thread recently and clearly she is by herself. That group seems to have been the exception by design : it was always GLADYS KNIGHT and the Pips ... wasn't it??

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post

Ahhh, sorry for being negative but it's this kinda stuff that makes me dislike The Supremes, all of 'em. I know it's bad, but it just puts me off. I mean, if I start forming an opinion about them, I feel like it'll just cause arguments. Ahhhh, sigh

Tom if you don't like the Supremes because they aren't your cup of tea, it's cool. But if you dig the Supremes, keep diggin them. But don't let the dumb shit you read on here put you off such a great group. It's the people making the comments, not the Supremes themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Here's what happened. They were all onstage at the end. Mary placed a kiss on Diana's cheek. There's a photo of it. Diana is smiling at her. They talked privately for a bit backstage after the show. They took photos with the cast and creative team. Mary joined Berry and Diana at the After Party for photos and an interview. Mary went on in to the party. Diana left shortly after. That's what happened.
    Whether that's what happened or not, this thread has just highlighted the fact that there are indeed certain weirdos...I mean fans...who are invested in the Mary and Diana feud nonsense. I for one hope it was indeed a beautiful reunion for the ladies and that they someday soon come together again for a happy occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    unless you were there next to Mary and Diana and was privy to their conversation
    You mean they weren't? Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    And yes "just a singing group" and not a very distinctive one at that it seems , with what is it, maybe a dozen interchangeable participants that even now -all these years later- no one seems to know absolutely for sure who it is singing what!!
    Oh Boogie, you were on a roll until you messed up. Lol The Supremes not distinctive? Bullshit. There are really only a handful of songs during Florence's tenure that there is any real question about because she was so distinctive as a vocalist and when she isn't clearly present the questions arise.

well yes --- 'during Florence's tenure'....

Same as always, Tom, but this time a little more fun! I know how you feel, though. Remember it has nothing to do with the performers - it's the audience. Countdown to Undisputed Truth new cd set!!

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Tom if you don't like the Supremes because they aren't your cup of tea, it's cool. But if you dig the Supremes, keep diggin them. But don't let the dumb shit you read on here put you off such a great group. It's the people making the comments, not the Supremes themselves.
    Hey RanRan, I do like The Supremes -- but I like The Supremes' music. I don't like all the gossipy nonsense and arguments that seem to come with them. You're right, it is dumb, and it's not The Supremes themselves doing it, but I just get fed up with it all. Also, I feel like there are other groups out there that don't get the attention they deserve, while The Supremes get so much! And half of it is negative attention if you know what I mean

Anyway, I shall try and wade through the bullshit and enjoy The Supremes for the great group they are. LOL

Same as always, Tom, but this time a little more fun! I know how you feel, though. Remember it has nothing to do with the performers - it's the audience. Countdown to Undisputed Truth new cd set!!
    A little more fun, lol. Yea, it grates, even though as you say it's not The Supremes themselves doing it.

And HELL YEAH, PNH, UNDISPUTED TRUTH CD IN 2 WEEKS, WOOOOO! Lol, you made my day by mentioning it, thanks PNH

A little more fun, lol. Yea, it grates, even though as you say it's not The Supremes themselves doing it.

And HELL YEAH, PNH, UNDISPUTED TRUTH CD IN 2 WEEKS, WOOOOO! Lol, you made my day by mentioning it, thanks PNH
    ... I've been on moratorium / withdrawal from not listening to my French label CD of 'Face To Face' since you alerted us to this new release so it can be 'fresher' when I get my copy. We can have a transcontinental, virtual listening party!

... I've been on moratorium / withdrawal from not listening to my French label CD of 'Face To Face' since you alerted us to this new release so it can be 'fresher' when I get my copy. We can have a transcontinental, virtual listening party!
    Haaa, me too. I'm trying not to listen to any Undisputed Truth so I'll love the CD that little bit more when I get it. Actually, PNH, have you pre-ordered? I want to but haven't really pre-ordered anything before so don't know... also I need to pick the best place to get it from.

And transcontinental virtual listening parties, they're my favourite! Lol

well yes --- 'during Florence's tenure'....
    LOL Boogie you crazy. But to be fair, there really is very little question during the DRATS years too. No one hardly ever mistakes Mary and Cindy together for the Andantes. Its usually pretty clear which singers are doing what, so I think that might work in their favor in regards to being distinctive. IMO the Supremes with Flo, and the Andantes had a similar sound, although the Andantes sound to my ears more technically polished. But I think that's why there's some controversy on certain songs. Well that and the fact that some folks like to make a controversy in order to feed the narrative that Diana Ross was the Supremes and Flo and Mary weren't actually needed. Anything to start to some shit, is apparently the motto of some folks.

Hey RanRan, I do like The Supremes -- but I like The Supremes' music. I don't like all the gossipy nonsense and arguments that seem to come with them. You're right, it is dumb, and it's not The Supremes themselves doing it, but I just get fed up with it all. Also, I feel like there are other groups out there that don't get the attention they deserve, while The Supremes get so much! And half of it is negative attention if you know what I mean

Anyway, I shall try and wade through the bullshit and enjoy The Supremes for the great group they are. LOL
    Tom the gossip discussions wouldn't be so bad if they didn't always devolve into arguments. I would argue that the Supremes are interesting for their music as well as their story and so we should be able to discuss them both. The problem is when people can't even state how they disagree without being nasty about it. Or how some folks like to pretend they were present for things they know damn well they weren't around for. There are two groups of people that grate on my nerves around here and they have a lot in common: they want everyone to believe that Diana Ross and Mary Wilson were the daughters of God and were crucified for our sins. I still believe some of them have rooms in their homes where they go specifically to pray to statues or photos of Diana and Mary. It's scary really.

As for other groups, there are groups out there that don't get the attention they deserve, but that aint on the Supremes or their fans. It's up to fans of groups and artists who feel like they aren't being discussed much to start those conversations. The Supremes were the biggest American group in the world during Diana's tenure so the Supremes will obviously get a lot of attention on a Motown forum. If this were an Atlantic Records forum you can probably bet that Aretha would get more threads than say Doris Troy. It is what it is.

LOL Boogie you crazy. But to be fair, there really is very little question during the DRATS years too. No one hardly ever mistakes Mary and Cindy together for the Andantes. Its usually pretty clear which singers are doing what, so I think that might work in their favor in regards to being distinctive. IMO the Supremes with Flo, and the Andantes had a similar sound, although the Andantes sound to my ears more technically polished. But I think that's why there's some controversy on certain songs. Well that and the fact that some folks like to make a controversy in order to feed the narrative that Diana Ross was the Supremes and Flo and Mary weren't actually needed. Anything to start to some shit, is apparently the motto of some folks.
    But at the time of the release everybody thought it was the Supremes. Many people were shocked when they found out that Flo, Mary, or Cindy were not on some of the records. So it wasn't really pretty clear at the time. I always thought "Someday Well be together" sounded like Mary and Cindy until it was later revealed they were not on the record.
    Last edited by vgalindo; 08-11-2017 at 01:15 PM.

I still believe some of them have rooms in their homes where they go specifically to pray to statues or photos of Diana and Mary. It's scary really.
    I literally lol'd. That is hilarious [[and sadly true).

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    But at the time of the release everybody thought it was the Supremes. Many people were shocked when they found out that Flo, Mary, or Cindy were not on some of the records. So it wasn't really pretty clear at the time. I always thought "Someday Well be together" sounded like Mary and Cindy until it was later revealed they were not on the record.
    That's understandable though. I imagine it wasn't common knowledge in regards to any musical group, that the singers could be replaced with random people. So who would've heard those songs and assumed it wasn't Mary and Cindy? Especially considering that the Andantes became pseudo Supremes on record when Cindy came into the group, someone who's voice wasn't familiar to the general public like Florence's was. But today we know what we know, and what we know is that, as good as Mary and Cindy were, they sound nothing like the Andantes.

I literally lol'd. That is hilarious [[and sadly true).
    Lol It's scary though, isn't it? I love both women for the great music they've brought into my life, but gee whiz, I can't remember the last check either one sent me. I can't remember the time either woman saved my life. I have no reason to attack my fellow SD peers over these women, so I don't understand when others do it. I'll never understand that. [[And they never answer the question when it's posed.)

so I don't understand when others do it. I'll never understand that. [[And they never answer the question when it's posed.)
    Look to your left. See that wall? Beat your head against it. You'll get the same effect as trying to get through to them. I just wish we'd focus more on the music and less on the meta. But at the same time, I'm not going to sit around and let them turn this into a hate filled site, so its about balance, I suppose.

Tom the gossip discussions wouldn't be so bad if they didn't always devolve into arguments. I would argue that the Supremes are interesting for their music as well as their story and so we should be able to discuss them both. The problem is when people can't even state how they disagree without being nasty about it. Or how some folks like to pretend they were present for things they know damn well they weren't around for. There are two groups of people that grate on my nerves around here and they have a lot in common: they want everyone to believe that Diana Ross and Mary Wilson were the daughters of God and were crucified for our sins. I still believe some of them have rooms in their homes where they go specifically to pray to statues or photos of Diana and Mary. It's scary really.

As for other groups, there are groups out there that don't get the attention they deserve, but that aint on the Supremes or their fans. It's up to fans of groups and artists who feel like they aren't being discussed much to start those conversations. The Supremes were the biggest American group in the world during Diana's tenure so the Supremes will obviously get a lot of attention on a Motown forum. If this were an Atlantic Records forum you can probably bet that Aretha would get more threads than say Doris Troy. It is what it is.
    Damn, RanRan, you're right again.

It has to be about the music for me but the story behind the artists and everything is fascinating too. But, as you say, it can't be discussed without arguments and bitterness [[et cetera) so it puts me off. And those two groups... I feel like you either have to be a Mary fanatic or a Diana fanatic... you can't possibly like both Diana and Mary. That's why sometimes I feel like it's easier to like neither. Sorry for being so negative, phew

And that last point I made was probably me just being bitter, lol. Of course The Supremes were Motown's most famous and successful group, so what can you expect on a Motown forum? Hella Supremes threads, lol

Originally Posted by RanRan79

yes vg, that would be my point

Now back to the thread!!!

Paul wrote it and then sang it solo . Diana Ross followed suit:

I have to agree with you about Some Day We'll Be together. I heard the song yesterday morning and whoever the backing singers were sound was very close to Mary and Cindy.
    Flo had and very distinct sound especially in live performance but when there is a producer in charge of vocals looking for a certain sound they will have singers switch parts, sing softer or in the case of Where Did Our Love Go have them stand far away from the mic.
    The Supremes were versatile and could sing anything. Their catalog of songs is proof of that.

Look to your left. See that wall? Beat your head against it. You'll get the same effect as trying to get through to them. I just wish we'd focus more on the music and less on the meta. But at the same time, I'm not going to sit around and let them turn this into a hate filled site, so its about balance, I suppose.
    Lol I know what you mean. I'll try to avoid the biggest offenders though. No good getting sucked into their nonsense. It would just be nice if one of them decided to let us into why they go so hard for these two women. But perhaps their silence in wake of the question says all that needs to be said anyway.

And that last point I made was probably me just being bitter, lol. Of course The Supremes were Motown's most famous and successful group, so what can you expect on a Motown forum? Hella Supremes threads, lol
    I get it Tom. But there are others who make the same complaint but aren't as cool as you when they do it. There was a Marvin Gaye thread not too long ago and a couple of people came in saying how glad they were for a non Diana Ross thread [[although I don't think they used her name, and the whole thing was a little strange to me because I notice nearly, if not an equal amount of Mary Wilson threads, but I guess depending on which side of the stage you stand on will determine which former Supreme thread is offensive) and how seeing her name makes them not want to come to the forum and what not. But what I don't understand is that if you want to talk about someone other than Diana Ross, why yo ass aint create a thread to talk about someone else? I guess it's easier to bitch and moan than it is to take a moment and create the thread you want to see. Tom you've created threads about a variety of Motown subjects, so my criticism doesn't apply to you.

Paul wrote it and then sang it solo . Diana Ross followed suit:

I'm not a Beatles fan. They were incredible songwriters, but as singers they do absolutely nothing for me. There's not really one song they recorded themselves that I like. But again, their songwriting skills were on point. Lyrically and melodically "Yesterday" as presented here is a nice one. Diana does a nice job with it. But it's one of the two songs on the Symphony album that I tend to skip over, especially back in the day. I like it a little more now than I did when I first got this album in the 90s. [[The other song I skip is "Without a Song".)

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    I have to agree with you about Some Day We'll Be together. I heard the song yesterday morning and whoever the backing singers were sound was very close to Mary and Cindy.
    Flo had and very distinct sound especially in live performance but when there is a producer in charge of vocals looking for a certain sound they will have singers switch parts, sing softer or in the case of Where Did Our Love Go have them stand far away from the mic.
    The Supremes were versatile and could sing anything. Their catalog of songs is proof of that.
    I still don't know how anyone could mistake Mary and Cindy for the Waters. But agree with everything else you've said. They were a very versatile group. I think that's part of why I love them so.

I still don't know how anyone could mistake Mary and Cindy for the Waters. But agree with everything else you've said. They were a very versatile group. I think that's part of why I love them so.
    So when "Somday" was released back in 1969 you knew it wasn't Mary or Cindy?

I get it Tom. But there are others who make the same complaint but aren't as cool as you when they do it.
    Ha, thanks RanRan

There was a Marvin Gaye thread not too long ago and a couple of people came in saying how glad they were for a non Diana Ross thread [[although I don't think they used her name, and the whole thing was a little strange to me because I notice nearly, if not an equal amount of Mary Wilson threads, but I guess depending on which side of the stage you stand on will determine which former Supreme thread is offensive) and how seeing her name makes them not want to come to the forum and what not. But what I don't understand is that if you want to talk about someone other than Diana Ross, why yo ass aint create a thread to talk about someone else? I guess it's easier to bitch and moan than it is to take a moment and create the thread you want to see. Tom you've created threads about a variety of Motown subjects, so my criticism doesn't apply to you.
    Hey thanks again RanRan, I try and do threads about anything and everything [[interestingly I don't think I've done a Supremes one yet...) for a bit of variety. I remember that too about the Marvin thread. I do understand the frustration however, when Supremes threads that just cause arguments get more replies than threads about the music of a lesser known Motown act, for example. But if my non-Supremes thread ain't gettin' no replies, heck I start replin' myself. Lol

Heck, I thought Johnny Bristol was Mary singing

I had no idea that the Andantes were being used ever and especially when it turned out it was as early as Run Run Run

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

I had no idea that the Andantes were being used ever and especially when it turned out it was as early as Run Run Run
    I did too. Lol....

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

Didn't know his name , but I could certainly tell that there was a man singing on that Supremes record : it didn't strike me as odd at the time though , probably it should have !! Ha!

As for The Andantes singing along, its apparently amazing they were on so few Supremes songs . It seems their added vocal help was a common practice at Hitsville :

from wiki:
    The Supremes

They appeared as backing vocalists on seven singles for The Supremes. These releases include:

Martha & the Vandellas

They appeared as backing vocalists on twelve singles for Martha & the Vandellas. These releases include:

The Marvelettes

They appeared as backing vocalists on 14 singles for the Marvelettes. These releases include:

and I just noticed something . The word "singles" is being applied here. Doesn't say anything about album cuts.

Lyrically and melodically "Yesterday" as presented here is a nice one. Diana does a nice job with it.
    Yes its nice. I think the dancy harpsicord or whatever that is, throws off the somber mood somewhat and Diana's repeated pronunciation of 'something' as 'somethin' is an irritant, but it's OK.
    I still don't know why she has to sing it alone , unless Diana insisted "that's the way PAUL sang it!" especially considering that when they go on to perform it live as a group they are going to have to arrange it to include the other two anyway ....???

My parents were 11 & 10 years old when "Someday" was released, so short answer: no, I did not know this or anything else. Perhaps there's some confusion about where I'm coming from on this issue and I didn't do a good job of explaining myself before. My apologies. In 1969 I don't expect for anyone to assume that there is anyone else other than actual factual Supremes, Vandellas, Marvelettes, Four Tops, Temptations on those records. The music world was still many years away from Mary Wilson's Andantes revelations in "Dreamgirl", the Millie Vanilli farce, and the Mary Jane Girl [[can't remember which one) suit claiming she was either the voice on Paula Abdul's Forever Your Girl album or she was singing along with her [[can't remember all of the particulars). So while I do think that if anyone paid close attention to DRATS live television performances back in the day and compared them to the records, especially "Someday", one would hear a big difference, I don't expect for anyone in 1969 to think otherwise. But today is a different story. I don't see how anyone can listen to "Someday" and think the Waters sound anything like Mary and Cindy. To my ears those two sets of singers have an extremely different sound. Hopefully my point is a little more clearer now. Sometimes I think something gets lost from my brain to my fingers when I type. Lol

Ha, thanks RanRan

Hey thanks again RanRan, I try and do threads about anything and everything [[interestingly I don't think I've done a Supremes one yet...) for a bit of variety. I remember that too about the Marvin thread. I do understand the frustration however, when Supremes threads that just cause arguments get more replies than threads about the music of a lesser known Motown act, for example. But if my non-Supremes thread ain't gettin' no replies, heck I start replin' myself. Lol
    One of the funniest things about the Marvin Gaye thread was that He Who Shall Not Be Named, one of the biggest shit starters in Diana Ross and Mary Wilson threads was in the MG thread talking shit like he don't be all up and through these threads. Lol I was going to comment about everything but I knew it would derail the thread into nonsense and I wanted to keep the subject Marvin. But I think I ended up being turned off by the comments that I didn't even bother to comment on my favorite male singer, Mr. Marvin Gaye.

Anyway, I enjoy your variety posts. Keep 'em coming. I think a lot of us appreciate them.

As for The Andantes singing along, its apparently amazing they were on so few Supremes songs . It seems their added vocal help was a common practice at Hitsville :
    I don't think it's amazing at all. I think I said in this thread [[or maybe another thread) that the use of the Andantes seemed to be at the preference of the producer. Most of the Supremes stuff when Flo was in the group was produced by HDH and it seems like they preferred Flo and Mary. HDH weren't consistent producers for Martha and the Vandellas or Marvelettes, and look how many singles are being attributed to the Andantes. [[I'm HEAVILY disputing "I'm Ready For Love" being the Andantes. Has this been confirmed or is this the opinion of a random person?) I think Smokey preferred the Andantes on his productions. To me the use of the Andantes as faux members of Motown's girl groups is weird. Some argue that using them was a time saver, but why no standins for the male groups? Makes no sense.