[REMOVE ADS]

I Wish it Would Rain vs In the Rain...Coincidence??

Hi all,
    Having just watched the Unsung episode on the Dramatics and hearing "In the Rain", I began to notice the similarity between "In the Rain" and "I Wish it Would Rain". To those of you who were old enough to remember when "In the Rain" was released, was there a discussion amongst listeners at the time between the 2 songs being similar thematically?

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Hi all,
    Having just watched the Unsung episode on the Dramatics and hearing "In the Rain", I began to notice the similarity between "In the Rain" and "I Wish it Would Rain". To those of you who were old enough to remember when "In the Rain" was released, was there a discussion amongst listeners at the time between the 2 songs being similar thematically?
    Not at all, at least not in Detroit or Toledo. I remember we, and many others would sing "In the Rain" a lot! Anytime it came on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Not at all, at least not in Detroit or Toledo. I remember we, and many others would sing "In the Rain" a lot! Anytime it came on the radio.
    It is a fantastic song. Production reminds me of Norman Whitfield...yet another similarity.

Hi all,
    While both "I Wish It Would Rain" and "In The Rain" both share a similar subject [[a man wanting to use rain to hide his teardrops), I don't remember any serious discussions about it. If the internet [[and forums like this one) were around at the time, I'm sure there would've been chatter about the songs.

It is a fantastic song. Production reminds me of Norman Whitfield...yet another similarity.
    It was a brilliant song. It was perfect for all of that teen love angst going on during that time! LOL!!!

Some thematic difference I believe. The Tempts felt so blue so hoping for rain. The Dramatics could hide their tears in the rain! Yes both brilliant!

Another difference is with "In the Rain", the person has definite hope that things will get better after the rain. Not so with "I Wish It Would Rain", in fact the person is begging the Sun to go away.

Any truth to the rumor or story that the guy that wrote the song,Roger Penzabene, committed suicide?

Ok I just found the answer to my question:

On New Year's Eve 1967, a week after the release of "I Wish It Would Rain", Penzabene committed suicide by gunshot at the age of 23

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    On New Year's Eve 1967, a week after the release of "I Wish It Would Rain", Penzabene committed suicide by gunshot at the age of 23
    He's well mentionned in Stuart Cosgrove's book "Detroit '67".

He was a childhood friend of guitarist Cornelius Grant and a depressive guy writing about his own problems. From the book : "Recently married, his wife had started a love affair with another man, and wracked byself-doubt, he turned his broading sadness into his songs"
    He also wrote "You're My Everything", "I could never love another[[After Loving You), "The End Of Our Road" and more...

Well "I Wish It Would Rain" was 1967 and "In The Rain" 1972, 5 years later. That's a long time when you're much younger. I suspect there would have been more discussion had they been released at a similar time.

However, The Everly Brothers pre-empted both with "Crying In The Rain" and there would have been others. Some folks rejoice with the rain - The Ronettes, for example, "Walking In The Rain" and Love Unlimited "Walking In The Rain With The One I Love" [[that one was 1972 too).

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    He's well mentionned in Stuart Cosgrove's book "Detroit '67".

He was a childhood friend of guitarist Cornelius Grant and a depressive guy writing about his own problems. From the book : "Recently married, his wife had started a love affair with another man, and wracked byself-doubt, he turned his broading sadness into his songs"
    He also wrote "You're My Everything", "I could never love another[[After Loving You), "The End Of Our Road" and more...
    Yes. His wife, Helga is now writing a book about Rodger[[Roger). It turns out that she too had some involvement in the music business via Stax Records.

I guess songwriters used rain as a synonym for depression and heartbreak. It seems people have been going outside in the rain , wishing it would rain, and Walking In The Rain since, at least, the fifties

David Ruffin once had a miserable night in the rain

[[almost five minutes in length but not put on vinyl at the time)

..... while his good buddy Eddie Kendricks put walkin' in the rain to good use

love this video . How did these four young guys come to know and appreciate this song!!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-06-2017 at 12:21 AM.

Great songs; both of them. But "Wish It Would Rain" started the trend with rain songs. So many came after.

Well there were quite a few rain songs before The Temptations of course. Their version of "I Wish It Would Rain" is at number 7 on this list of rain songs. http://westpalmbeat.blog.palmbeachpo...s-of-all-time/

The Temptations were to the Dramatics what MJ was to Usher. The latters looked upon the formers as musical genres rather than artists. It's only natural that The Dramatics would build on the whole rain concept themselves. Eventually, the got better at carving their own niche. Especially after they left Stax.

check out the lyrics to this "rain song":