[REMOVE ADS]

Why on earth do I like this Tony Martin Motown song?!

Please could someone help me to understand why I like this Tony Martin Motown recording so damn much..... lol...

I'm not a fan of Tony's voice, the song is quite cringeworthy and weird... yet I find it incredibly catchy and like it way more than I feel I should.....!

What do you think of it? Is it awful? Is it good? Help me decide! Lol

Well, I just read the song's review on the Motown Junkies website [[it's an awesome site, pity it hasn't been updated in years), and the reviewer gave it a 1/10. I guess that speaks for itself, really.

Sadly [[or possibly happily), I tried playing the video clip but get a "video is not available" message. On Motown Junkies, I notice that the A-side of that single is Tony's cover of the Supremes' "Ask Any Girl", and I do recall it was a track on the Motown Sings Motown Treasures CD set over a decade ago. It's awful awful awful, and I have an online memory years ago, on some Motown board [[I don't think it was this one, though), someone mentioned that Tony's voice on "Ask Any Man" sounded like Cher doing an impression of Mr. Ed.

That description has stayed with me for over a decade.
    Last edited by DJMoch; 08-03-2017 at 10:34 PM.

huntergettingcaptured Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Please could someone help me to understand why I like this Tony Martin Motown recording so damn much..... lol...

I'm not a fan of Tony's voice, the song is quite cringeworthy and weird... yet I find it incredibly catchy and like it way more than I feel I should.....!

Some songs are like that and I have quite a few of 'em. I really don't expect that I'll like it, and then I find I can't get it out of my head. Then that final straw: OMG, I like the darn thing even though it's awful! [[I actually found myself enjoying a Justin Beiber song once and just wanted to stone myself!) Now, this Tony Martin song actually isn't all that bad. It's certainly better than "Just Talking To Your Picture" and "Just Ask Any Man."

Now you got me wondering about my tastes, because it doesn't sound cringeworthy or weird at all to me. It sounds like a very well-produced piece of Adult Contemporary pop. Not The Detroit Sound but it is a rather catchy tune all the same. It has a nice bouncy quality to it, great strings and I like the sing-along chorus. This really should have been the A side.
    Last edited by huntergettingcaptured; 08-04-2017 at 02:30 AM.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  21.1 KB
    I get the same "not available in your country" message here in Germany. I'll have to test it in 4 weeks, when I return to The Netherlands. But, it seems that someone is trying to sell it in a new physical offering [[CD?) Worldwide, and is claiming his rights.

I almost wet my pants laughing [[even though I'm alone) at the description "It sounds like Cher doing an impression of Mr. Ed trying to sing!" That sounds very like a description Stephane might use in his 45 song reviews on "Motown Junkies". By the way, although he hasn't reviewed a new 45 side since The Isley Brothers' "This Old Heart of Mine [[Is Weak For You), a few years ago, The Website's review comments by visiting posters, including myself and fans, as well as people in the music industry from that time [[including some of the artists and production people, themselves), has continued as usual on the already posted song reviews. So, there is a reason to visit the website despite no new reviews being uploaded.

I always considered Tony Martin to be just another lounge lizard, most famous for having been married to Cyd Charisse, and this song has done nothing to divest me of that perception. I have to wonder whose idea it was to sign him to Motown, and why.

I'm not a fan of Tony's voice, but the song itself isn't bad IMO. If you like it, keep on liking it.

Quote Originally Posted by DJMoch View Post
    I have an online memory years ago, on some Motown board [[I don't think it was this one, though), someone mentioned that Tony's voice on "Ask Any Man" sounded like Cher doing an impression of Mr. Ed.

That's hilarious!! Even on this song I can see how the description would apply.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    I always considered Tony Martin to be just another lounge lizard, most famous for having been married to Cyd Charisse, and this song has done nothing to divest me of that perception. I have to wonder whose idea it was to sign him to Motown, and why.
    All a part of Gordy's conquering of the white world of music, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    All a part of Gordy's conquering of the white world of music, my friend.
    Well, that much I understand, but Tony freaking Martin? Even in the mainstream easy listening world he wasn't much more than a footnote. I suppose the bigger crooners must have had sweet enough deals with their labels that they wouldn't hop over to Hitsville. It just seems like such a long shot for Motown that I can't imagine they thought the plan would pay off.

John G. Stumpf Guest
    Tony Martin placed 62 songs in the top 40 with numerous gold records fom 1936 to 1956, equal or almost to Diana Ross and the Supremes combined. He had a popular tv show in the 50s and was also a major movie star. By the mid 60s his career was headed to oblivion. Motown attempted to establish legitimacy by signing superstars of another era, such as Tony Martin. If they had revived his career, it would have added to their lustre.

Last edited by John G. Stumpf; 08-04-2017 at 07:20 PM.

John G. Stumpf Guest

Tony Martin also made 40 movies and was a top live act in his prime. He had a popular radio in the 40s.
    Last edited by John G. Stumpf; 08-04-2017 at 03:59 PM.

John G. Stumpf Guest

He had a mild hit with this song.

I gave this record "0/10" when visiting the Motown Junkies Website and have had no reason to change my mind since then.

Well, I just read the song's review on the Motown Junkies website [[it's an awesome site, pity it hasn't been updated in years), and the reviewer gave it a 1/10. I guess that speaks for itself, really.

Sadly [[or possibly happily), I tried playing the video clip but get a "video is not available" message. On Motown Junkies, I notice that the A-side of that single is Tony's cover of the Supremes' "Ask Any Girl", and I do recall it was a track on the Motown Sings Motown Treasures CD set over a decade ago. It's awful awful awful, and I have an online memory years ago, on some Motown board [[I don't think it was this one, though), someone mentioned that Tony's voice on "Ask Any Man" sounded like Cher doing an impression of Mr. Ed.

Hey Emile, I've read that review too... it wasn't very, erm, kind to the song, but I find it very listenable and just can't give it a 1/10.

Oops, yea, the video has been uploaded by Universal I believe which is why it doesn't work... always annoying!

When I was checking out Tony's Motown recordings "Spanish Rose" was the only one I remembered and liked. "Ask Any Man" is a good song but not Tony's song. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by huntergettingcaptured View Post
    Some songs are like that and I have quite a few of 'em. I really don't expect that I'll like it, and then I find I can't get it out of my head. Then that final straw: OMG, I like the darn thing even though it's awful! [[I actually found myself enjoying a Justin Beiber song once and just wanted to stone myself!) Now, this Tony Martin song actually isn't all that bad. It's certainly better than "Just Talking To Your Picture" and "Just Ask Any Man."
    Noooo, hunter, not Justin Bieber!!! Lol

But you're right, sometimes you like a song when you really don't expect to. It's weird... I really don't want to like this track, but I just kinda do.

Now you got me wondering about my tastes, because it doesn't sound cringeworthy or weird at all to me. It sounds like a very well-produced piece of Adult Contemporary pop. Not The Detroit Sound but it is a rather catchy tune all the same. It has a nice bouncy quality to it, great strings and I like the sing-along chorus. This really should have been the A side.
    Oh, now, this is exactly why I might like it. It's very catchy and has a strong chorus. Upbeat too.

Mmm, hunter, its sort of like the Motown Sound mixed with traditional adult contemporary pop... strange... but not bad

Ok tomato. You are not alone. I loved Afternoon Delight by Starland Vocal Band. Hows that for vulnerability and support!!

Thank you John G Stump for giving us a Career overview of Tony, he was one of the best live performers I have ever seen. His style was incompatible with the Motown sound for some reason.

I couldn't listen to a whole album of Tony Martin - like a few more people I don't care for the voice [[which sounds a little like an extreme Andy Williams). That said, a record is about more than the voice- there's the song writing, the production, the melody, the beat etc. and in the case of Motown, the collectability factor. That Motown label is enough to secure an interest.

Sounds, though, as if folks feel guilty for not following the general trend of dismissing a Tony Martin record [[e.g. because a web site gives it a low score). Peer pressure gone mad.

You like what you like [[and probably you like different things at different stages in your life). There are worse Motown acts than Tony Martin but that's still only an opinion.

Interesting thread, particularly since I recently discovered a Tony Martin Motown song that I like: "Our Rhapsody", which is the flip to "Talking To Your Picture" released in December 1964, Motown 1071.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZroHuOmOvVo

I totally overlooked it when I got TCMS 1964 in 2006 but it got my attention about a year ago when I played that collection again. I recently sent the link to a friend who likes old movies and singers from that era, as well as Motown and Diana Ross, for his opinion.

I think had Motown looked into their own catalogue a little deeper this may have been a nice addition for The Supremes I Hear A Symphony album. It has the tempo and drama of some of the standards on that album. I think I would have preferred this song over "Without A Song", for example, even though that song is pleasant enough.

I once read that the Symphony album was to have had a musical theme. I think Side 1 would have been nice with "With A Song In My Heart", "I Hear A Symphony", "Lover's Concerto", "Unchained Melody", "Our Rhapsody" and "Let The Music Play" [[the track for LTMP was recorded at the time but not the vocals, according to IHAS Expanded Edition notes).

Back to Tony Martin. I think it would have been interesting if Motown had released an album on him. I think the only Motown song by him that is unlistenable is "Ask Any Man", so my mother might have enjoyed the album.

Here's the Motown Junkies review and verdict for "Our Rhapsody":

https://motownjunkies.co.uk/2012/08/13/516/

John G. Stumpf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Ok tomato. You are not alone. I loved Afternoon Delight by Starland Vocal Band. Hows that for vulnerability and support!!
    Lol, luke, I get you. I have an embarrassing soft spot for that song too. So darn catchy.

ya TomTom why on earth do you?? razz !!

now, this one however---:

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    Interesting thread, particularly since I recently discovered a Tony Martin Motown song that I like: "Our Rhapsody", which is the flip to "Talking To Your Picture" released in December 1964, Motown 1071.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZroHuOmOvVo

/

A string lovers delight and what a crescendoing thirty second finale! Sort of Elvis meets Roy Orbinson , in fact had Orbinson done this , and ended it by hitting his trademark high note , it'd probably be regarded as genius !!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-06-2017 at 02:37 AM.

Noooo, hunter, not Justin Bieber!!! Lol

But you're right, sometimes you like a song when you really don't expect to. It's weird... I really don't want to like this track, but I just kinda do.

Oh, now, this is exactly why I might like it. It's very catchy and has a strong chorus. Upbeat too.

Mmm, hunter, its sort of like the Motown Sound mixed with traditional adult contemporary pop... strange... but not bad
    Well, Tom, I WAS actually going say something along the lines of this having a sort of Motown Sound to it, but thought it might be a stretch! I guess I wasn't too far off because you're heard it too!

[[and as far as Justin...I think I was REALLY in the liquor that week!)

Well, Tom, I WAS actually going say something along the lines of this having a sort of Motown Sound to it, but thought it might be a stretch! I guess I wasn't too far off because you're heard it too!

[[and as far as Justin...I think I was REALLY in the liquor that week!)
    Ooh, yea, you could very nearly say that it does... it was written by Motown legends Hal Davis and Frank Wilson...

And, dare I ask, can you remember which justin Bieber song it was?

[[Like it matters, LOL, they're all awful)

As a Canadian on this board, I humbly apologize on our country's behalf for subjecting the U.S., and indeed the world, to the horror that is Justin Bieber.

Y'all need to stop clowning Justin Bieber. For the most part his stuff doesn't appeal to me, but he released some cuts off his last album that I was surprised were dope. Song quality aside, the boy can flat out sing. There's nothing to apologize for DJMoch.

John G. Stumpf Guest
    As a Canadian on this board, I humbly apologize on our country's behalf for subjecting the U.S., and indeed the world, to the horror that is Justin Bieber.

Thanks. Apology accepted. Lionel Richie blamed Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus for the mediocrity that prevails in today's music and I 100% agree with Lionel - Justin is a horror!
    Last edited by John G. Stumpf; 08-08-2017 at 10:37 AM.

Ooh, yea, you could very nearly say that it does... it was written by Motown legends Hal Davis and Frank Wilson...

Hi Tom, it's "Baby." and actually, it really isn't bad. The funny thing is [[and PLEASE don't start breaking out the stones and rocks!) when I heard the chorus, it made me think of "Where Did Our Love Go" with its "Baby, Baby" backgrounds. I know the two songs couldn't be more different, but it was the repetition of the word "Baby", just like in "Where Did Our Love Go" that just caught me and struck me as being catchy.

I went back just now and gave "Baby" a listen, and yes, I have to admit, I still like it!

Y'all need to stop clowning Justin Bieber. For the most part his stuff doesn't appeal to me, but he released some cuts off his last album that I was surprised were dope. Song quality aside, the boy can flat out sing. There's nothing to apologize for DJMoch.
    RanRan, I'm like your taking the high road. I guess sometimes it's easy to just jump on a bandwagon and totally dismiss someone's music because everyone else does it. I have to say, the song I found myself hooked on is "Baby" and it really is pretty good. No, it isn't going to appeal to the ears if you're looking for more of a classic 60's or 70's song, but for what it is, I have to say, I can't fault it. It is catchy and enjoyable.

RanRan, I'm like your taking the high road. I guess sometimes it's easy to just jump on a bandwagon and totally dismiss someone's music because everyone else does it. I have to say, the song I found myself hooked on is "Baby" and it really is pretty good. No, it isn't going to appeal to the ears if you're looking for more of a classic 60's or 70's song, but for what it is, I have to say, I can't fault it. It is catchy and enjoyable.
    I'm not a fan of "Baby" [[though I definitely understand the chorus being reminiscent of "Where Did Our Love Go"). I actually didn't care for anything Bieber until his Purpose album back in 2015. "Love Yourself" was one of my favorite songs from that year. Everyone has their personal tastes. And let's be honest, there's a heavy "senior" presence on a forum like SD so I wouldn't expect to see much positivity regarding the Beeb. He is a part of today's pop music world. It is what it is. I took the apology thing as the joke I'm sure it was intended to be. Had Justin been signed to Motown in 1965 I'll bet my life some of his detractors here would speak about him differently. Go figure.

John G. Stumpf Guest
    I think the difference between my generation and previous ones is that we acknowledge there isn't much going on with us musically compared to other generations for various reasons. Justin Bieber's sales were primarily to preteen and tween girls. Time will tell if he can survive the curse of rising to fame on that type of audience. When Lionel Richie says you are mediocre....

Hey RanRan, in all honesty, Justin Bieber isn't really that bad, but I think it's the thought of all those screaming teenage fangirls that makes it unacceptable to say you like one of his songs, lol

And I heard quite a few of the tracks from his last album on the radio and yea, not bad. But I heard them way too much and am now sick of them, heehee
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 08-09-2017 at 08:22 PM.

Hi Tom, it's "Baby." and actually, it really isn't bad. The funny thing is [[and PLEASE don't start breaking out the stones and rocks!) when I heard the chorus, it made me think of "Where Did Our Love Go" with its "Baby, Baby" backgrounds. I know the two songs couldn't be more different, but it was the repetition of the word "Baby", just like in "Where Did Our Love Go" that just caught me and struck me as being catchy.

I went back just now and gave "Baby" a listen, and yes, I have to admit, I still like it!
    OH NO, NOT "Baby", noooooooo!!! LOL

But you're right, hunter, it's really not that bad. I'm listening now and it's decent. Unfortunately, however, I cannot bring myself to like a song that has a chorus which starts by with the line "and I was like"... lol

Ok, I didn't know there was a rap mid-way through the track, not bad at all.

I also didn't think of the "Where Did Our Love Go?" connection, which is interesting, but also utterly disgusting, lololol

Mmm, hunter, it is really easy to dismiss music, just because of who it's by, even before you've heard it. And, yep, it is quite catchy and easy to like.

Hey RanRan, in all honesty, Justin Bieber isn't really that bad, but I think it's the thought of all those screaming teenage fangirls that makes it unacceptable to say you like one of his songs, lol

And I heard quite a few of the tracks from his last album and yea, not bad. But I heard them loads and am now sick of them, lol
    Lol Tom it's cool. Justin catered to the crowd that made him a star, which is probably why I never cared for his music until that 2015 album. At that point his music had matured some and I could dig it. But it's not for everyone.

I'm not a fan of "Baby" [[though I definitely understand the chorus being reminiscent of "Where Did Our Love Go"). I actually didn't care for anything Bieber until his Purpose album back in 2015. "Love Yourself" was one of my favorite songs from that year. Everyone has their personal tastes. And let's be honest, there's a heavy "senior" presence on a forum like SD so I wouldn't expect to see much positivity regarding the Beeb. He is a part of today's pop music world. It is what it is. I took the apology thing as the joke I'm sure it was intended to be. Had Justin been signed to Motown in 1965 I'll bet my life some of his detractors here would speak about him differently. Go figure.
    Mmmm, very interesting point, RanRan. A sort of Paul Petersen-type signing?

"Love Yourself" I thought was a good song actually. Listening again and, yea, I quite like it. Thought I was sick of it but meh

As a 'non-senior' here I'd like to say that Justin Bieber is not really that bad at all. After all, there is definitely worse music out there than that from the Beeb! Just listen to this Tony Martin song, haaaaa
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 08-09-2017 at 08:41 PM.

John G. Stumpf Guest
    LA Reid developed a marketing strategy specifically to girls 8 - 14 for Justin. This turned off those outside that focus group off.

Quote Originally Posted by John G. Stumpf View Post
    LA Reid developed a marketing strategy specifically to girls 8 - 14 for Justin. This turned off those outside that focus group off.
    Which is sad, because I remember a similar time in the sixties: the "Bubble Gum" period where the music of certain groups seemed to be tailored for the same crowd- girls 8-14. I'm sure a lot of people kind of dismissed those songs on a sort of Auto-Pilot mentality, but going back now, I'm finding some oddly astonishing music from that period. Lou Christie's "I'm Gonna Make You Mine" is basically the same couple of phrases repeated over and over, but man, that thing catches fire and rocks pretty well. Also, some of those so-called Bubble Gum songs had some surprisingly frank and suggestive lyrics beneath all the cutesy-ootsy words.

This thread has certainly taken a very interesting turn.

\ Had Justin been signed to Motown in 1965 I'll bet my life some of his detractors here would speak about him differently. Go figure.
    You might have a point, but even then, there are some detractors of Paul Petersen, Tommy Good, Debbie Dean, Connie Haines and some of the other White artists who were signed to the company. R. Dean Taylor seems to not get much flack, though and Chris Clark seems to be much more appreciated today than she was back then, so it's always a toss up...but you do have a point.

I love to read about all sorts of singers from nearly every genre and era of music and it's really eye-opening to find out every generation had its music it enjoyed and thought the next generation's music was the Supreme Threat to Life and Liberty. The most surprising example is that I've been reading about 40's, 50's, 60's pop singer, Peggy Lee, and I find out Jazz, Swing and Big Band music was seen as a threat at one point. Wow! Even Frank Sinatra in the beginning wasn't liked by the parents of the teeny boppers who loved him. So I try to keep that in mind and not just automatically reject something that may be a few generations removed from my tastes. So it's nice that we're talking about this here, if only to try to broaden the musical horizon.

John G. Stumpf Guest
    LA Reid discussed how the Justin Bieber phenomenon was implemented to specifically exploit girls aged 8-14. It was a well thought out and calculated plan that generated close to a billion dollars in revenue.

John G. Stumpf Guest
    Tony Martin was a favorite singer of my grandmother. When she died she gave me her record collection. I have about 200 78 rpm singles by him 45 rpm extended play albums and lps. I hate his motown era records 0 out of ten for me. What i find interesting is how his superstardom is not remembered and the complete lack of interest in his vocal technique in this forum. My grandfather lectured me on how segments of music history are treated as if they did not exist and this post really opened my eyes to that.

LA Reid discussed how the Justin Bieber phenomenon was implemented to specifically exploit girls aged 8-14. It was a well thought out and calculated plan that generated close to a billion dollars in revenue.
    I can't really fault anyone for accomplishing something like this. And really, there has to be something enjoyable with the artist himself to begin with, or even the most intense promotion won't work. There have been many attempts to manufacture sensations, but the public, even the under-15 crowd knows when someone has it or is completely phony. [[I'm recalling a really bad attempt someone made in the 80s to re-create a New Monkees- it didn't go anywhere...at all.)

John G. Stumpf Guest
    You might have a point, but even then, there are some detractors of Paul Petersen, Tommy Good, Debbie Dean, Connie Haines and some of the other White artists who were signed to the company. R. Dean Taylor seems to not get much flack, though and Chris Clark seems to be much more appreciated today than she was back then, so it's always a toss up...but you do have a point.

I love to read about all sorts of singers from nearly every genre and era of music and it's really eye-opening to find out every generation had its music it enjoyed and thought the next generation's music was the Supreme Threat to Life and Liberty. The most surprising example is that I've been reading about 40's, 50's, 60's pop singer, Peggy Lee, and I find out Jazz, Swing and Big Band music was seen as a threat at one point. Wow! Even Frank Sinatra in the beginning wasn't liked by the parents of the teeny boppers who loved him. So I try to keep that in mind and not just automatically reject something that may be a few generations removed from my tastes. So it's nice that we're talking about this here, if only to try to broaden the musical horizon.
    Hannah Montanna was directed to the same audience. Girls 8 to 14 are the biggest consumers according to Wall Street. if you can reach that audience you will have exponential sales. LA Reid discussed how he wanted to tap into that market and the unique strategies he used to reach it via Justin Bieber.

Tony Martin was a favorite singer of my grandmother. When she died she gave me her record collection. I have about 200 78 rpm singles by him 45 rpm extended play albums and lps. I hate his motown era records 0 out of ten for me. What i find interesting is how his superstardom is not remembered and the complete lack of interest in his vocal technique in this forum. My grandfather lectured me on how segments of music history are treated as if they did not exist and this post really opened my eyes to that.
    Those lectures were very wise and on the mark. I've been reading about Peggy Lee and James Brown and while the two are very different artists, the story is essentially the same. They both had periods where they ruled their respective eras, but as tastes changed, their artistry and contributions to music history became less and less appreciated and remembered.

It is especially noteworthy to read those comments on vocal technique. The book about James Brown makes the observation that even though artists will give James his due respect and play his music, nobody is paying attention to the technique and contributing influences that went into what James did. Yes, they can cop the riffs, but there is no understanding as to where those riffs came from.

From the Peggy Lee book, I've started realizing why Motown's attempts to further the careers of it's artists like Tony and Billy Eckstine, Connie Haines and Barbara McNair would never work. Their core audiences had grown older, had families that curtailed their free time for going out to see these singers perform live and in general, had just more or less moved on to other concerns. I'm learning quite a bit about what happens to an artist once his era has been replaced by the new. Some fight to keep up and change, others try to stay true to what their faithful fans want, but in the end, if the sales aren't there, it become a losing battle. I'd like to know how Tony felt about his time at Motown. Connie Haines had a very good attitude about her time there. She realized the music had changed from her Big Band era to Rock and Roll. Her friends told her not to have anything to do with singing such garbage, but Connie viewed it in the way of, here it is, I'm going to give it a try and have fun with it. If it doesn't work, so be it. I really gained a lot of respect and interest in her after reading that.

Now you have me wanting to learn more about Tony Martin and his career.
    Last edited by huntergettingcaptured; 08-10-2017 at 03:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    I couldn't listen to a whole album of Tony Martin - like a few more people I don't care for the voice [[which sounds a little like an extreme Andy Williams). That said, a record is about more than the voice- there's the song writing, the production, the melody, the beat etc. and in the case of Motown, the collectability factor. That Motown label is enough to secure an interest.

Sounds, though, as if folks feel guilty for not following the general trend of dismissing a Tony Martin record [[e.g. because a web site gives it a low score). Peer pressure gone mad.

You like what you like [[and probably you like different things at different stages in your life). There are worse Motown acts than Tony Martin but that's still only an opinion.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  21.1 KB
    Posters said that Tony Martin was only a footnote among the major crooners. But that wasn't so. He was one of the stars in the 1940s and 1950s. He scored lots of big hits. I didn't like his singing much. And his acting was terrible. But, The Major Studios "made" starts of loads of so-called actors who couldn't act. There were also a lot of Pop singers whose singing wasn't very good.

As far as Tony Martin sounding like a bit like Andy Williams, I see very little resemblance. Tony Martin's singing had no "believeability" to it. He just didn't sound sincere, and worse, he didn't give me the feeling that he enjoyed singing. His songs have little emotion. Andy Williams had a lot of "warmth" in his voice and expressed joy when singing. I'm no fan of Pop music, and Andy Williams songs are not my style at all. But, I could listen to him all day long, and have no problem. He was a good singer. Listening to Tony Martin's songs all day would drive me batty.

Hi DJ Moch. I'm glad to see there's another Canadian on this forum who's embarrassed about Justin Bieber. I don't think Jobete Rob is "proud" of Bieber, but don't know if he wishes the guy would fade out of the public eye.

John G. Stumpf Guest
    Tony Martin made an album in1958 of Gigi with Gogi Grant on RCA Victor and an Ep of Songs from Cinderella that were major influences on my musical taste. Tony Martin conveyed a sense of humor and a romantic playboy attitude in his songs. However, he can also sing opera because he recorded a few arias. The problem with Tony Martin is his music is "old hollywood". Whereas Frank Sinatra reinvented himself, Tony never did. He did place 60 songs in the top twenty. I have carefully studied his records and i utilize aspects of his singing style in mine and i directly base my musical personality on him. It works at piano bars very well. Poor Tony...at least i still like you if noone else does lol

My 88 year-old mother always liked Tony Martin but I don't recall that we ever had any records by him just some by Frank, Dean, Andy, Johnny, Nat, and several others.

Last week I sent her links to a couple of Tony's Motown singles and she couldn't even make it through one whole song [[Our Rhapsody) and refused to listen to the others. When I listed some of Tony's hits from a list on wikipedia she recalled many of them fondly.

I, too, am amazed when I read forum members dismissing the achievements, talents and appearance of singers from another decade. We want people to appreciate our Motown favorites but often fail to fully appreciate and respect singers from another time whose music, songs and vocal styles are different from what we like. Many of these singers may not have been A-listers but had impressive stats on the charts and in popular culture during their prime.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    I, too, am amazed when I read forum members dismissing the achievements, talents and appearance of singers from another decade. We want people to appreciate our Motown favorites but often fail to fully appreciate and respect singers from another time whose music, songs and vocal styles are different from what we like. Many of these singers may not have been A-listers but had impressive stats on the charts and in popular culture during their prime.
    Agree 100 percent.

I barely know anything about Tony Martin and have listened to practically none of his music [[apart from his Motown recordings) so can't really judge, lol. But IMO Tony was a good singer, he's just not for me. And it's good to know that he was successful and famous in his day, I acknowledge and respect that. I mean, Berry Gordy wanted him, which is good enough for me!

"Ask Any Girl" is my favourite Supremes' record, so I was never going to like the b-side of the disaster that was "Ask Any Man".