[REMOVE ADS]

Favourite Temptations Era

I was thinking about this the other day... that is, the incredibly hard task of picking a favourite Temptations era and/or lineup...

Would it just have to be the 'classic five' era for you: David, Eddie, Paul, Melvin and Otis? Or maybe the late '60s Dennis Edwards-led psychedelic period? The "Papa"-era with Richard Street and Damon Harris? Or perhaps your favourite Tempts line-up has to have Ali Ollie Woodson out front?

I really can't decide so would be fascinated to get your opinions on this... go for it!!!

If I could only choose one era, it would be the classic five. Those recordings made during those years are my favorites by them.

I'm with Reese. I have to go by which lineup created my favorite music and it would have to be the classic five. I love the El Bryant lineup and the post Ruffin lineup as second and third [[or maybe a tie). For me all the lineups run together after Eddie leaves so I couldn't and wouldn't even begin to rank them, but because I'm absolutely crazy about Ali Woodson I would have to put his lineups at fourth.

My favorite Temptations Era was from 1962-67 followed closely by the 1968-73 Era.

I would have to go with the classic five lineup as my favourite. I received in the mail yesterday the cd set '5 Classic Albums of the Temptations' which includes 'Sing Smokey, Temptin' Temptations, Gettin' Ready, With A Lot O' Soul and Diana Ross and the Supremes Join The Temptations'. I played 2 of cds last night and am loviing them all over again!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    My favorite Temptations Era was from 1962-67 followed closely by the 1968-73 Era.
    I'm with you on that Marv2. The Temptations had great lineups [[despite the changes) and great songs during both of those eras.

It has to be the classic five, then the initial Dennis Edwards period up to Papa was a rolling stone

I find this question to be a difficult one to answer. Sort of like, which of your children do you like the best? I like all the recording/ appearing eras, but for different reasons. One has to give Otis his due for keeping the flame alive for all these years. I have met Otis, Ron, Bo, and Terry in 2002. I have been 3 feet from Dennis, but didn't get to talk to him. My only care is one should listen to their 80's - 90's stuff more often. Some is really good. But the era then was changing that we didn't get to hear that real good stuff as much as we did in the 60's 70's. In the 60's 70's their sound was everywhere. Also I believe that Richard Street is not given the proper accolades for his long 1971 - 1993 tenure in the group. nuf said. I put on their later stuff a lot. It is good.
    edafan

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I basically feel the same way as Marv on this. Though I have to say
    I've always felt that Otis never should have fired Damon Harris.
    Yes, he was young, got cocky, head swollen up a bit but he was their
    best replacement for the talent that was Eddie Kendricks. For the
    award watchers he also got them their only Grammy. The song on
    their 1990 album Heavenly, with Damon tagging Richard's leads
    with that voice of his remains one of my personal favorites recordings
    of them in any era. That said I stopped following the Tempts after
    Damon was gone for the most part. Treat Her Like A Lady was nice
    to hear in the clubs but my attention went completely elsewhere....

Just been listening to "With A Lot Of Soul", and have to say that not only is this my favourite Temptations line-up,it's also my favourite Temptations album, and my favourite track if indeed any one stands out, has to be "Now That You've Won Me". Davids' version eclipses Marvins in my opinion, and I think I detect a bit of subtle influence from Otis Redding here as well

Just my opinion of course!

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I basically feel the same way as Marv on this. Though I have to say
    I've always felt that Otis never should have fired Damon Harris.
    Yes, he was young, got cocky, head swollen up a bit but he was their
    best replacement for the talent that was Eddie Kendricks. For the
    award watchers he also got them their only Grammy. The song on
    their 1990 album Heavenly, with Damon tagging Richard's leads
    with that voice of his remains one of my personal favorites recordings
    of them in any era. That said I stopped following the Tempts after
    Damon was gone for the most part. Treat Her Like A Lady was nice
    to hear in the clubs but my attention went completely elsewhere....
    They won Grammys for Cloud Nine and Papa was a Rolling Stone.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    They won Grammys for Cloud Nine and Papa was a Rolling Stone.
    Yea, I should have clearer, I meant for that [[the Damon, Richard group)
    line up...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Yea, I should have clearer, I meant for that [[the Damon, Richard group)
    line up...
    Splanky, "Heavenly" and "Hey Girl" were two the Temptations finest records!

My favourite era was the 1970-73 Norman Whitfield psychedelic funk/soul era.

God it’s so hard to choose one day I’m thinking the classic 5 then on will come a Dennis lead track and it will be that line up. Now Edfan has reminded me of the 80s albums the Truly for you and Together Again album.
    Darn at this moment in time I still can’t choose, but I’m sure as can be for the next hour Heavenly and Stay from the Phoenix Rising album [[oh god I love that album too) are my personal favourite Temps tracks.
    And Edfan you’re so right about Richard Street too.
    This is so hard, but great question Tom. I think I’ll have to revisit this thread later.

I would say the Classic 5 era. That line-up was what I call their definitive line-up. No offense to any other members or eras, but the Classic 5 era members etched into history forever the initial legacy of The Temptations. Remaining members in their respective eras were carefully chosen by Otis and all done remarkable jobs upholding torch and banner as a member of The Temptations. Just my opinion.