[REMOVE ADS]

John G. Stumpf Guest

3 Times Cindy Birdsong Got Her Chance

Cindy was arguably the most glamorous Supreme and her voice was adequate for her role within the group. It was similar in timbre to Diane's, actually, and if memory serves me, I believe she would sing the lead on "Where Did Our Love Go" during the MSC period. However, her voice, though pleasant, wasn't particularly distinctive and I would not have been able to pick it "out of a lineup." It's too bad she and Pedro couldn't get things settled because she was a good vocal "buffer" between Mary and Scherrie. As we know, once Susaye came aboard it became sort of a matter of "every woman for herself," which made for very strange performances, with voices going all over the place, over, under and around each other.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Cindy was arguably the most glamorous Supreme and her voice was adequate for her role within the group. It was similar in timbre to Diane's, actually, and if memory serves me, I believe she would sing the lead on "Where Did Our Love Go" during the MSC period. However, her voice, though pleasant, wasn't particularly distinctive and I would not have been able to pick it "out of a lineup." It's too bad she and Pedro couldn't get things settled because she was a good vocal "buffer" between Mary and Scherrie. As we know, once Susaye came aboard it became sort of a matter of "every woman for herself," which made for very strange performances, with voices going all over the place, over, under and around each other.
    She did get "Where Did Our Love Go" in the 60's hits medley, although I think her voice would have been better suited to "Baby Love". She also shares lead with Mary on "Floy Joy" in the Discover Japan concert. Of course we all know about the odd yet entertaining "dream sequence" where she dressed as Marilyn Monroe and sang "I Never Kissed a Man".

As much as I like Lynda and Susaye, the 70's Supremes always seemed at their best when Cindy was with the group.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Agreed in every way!!
    Except I think that while she does disappear when singing with others, her voice is very distinctly her when she sings solo. And it shocks me every time because I always forget that she sounds the way she sounds because she also pronounces things a bit funny sometimes. Look at her performance with Kelly Rowland. "Leaving me alone and heeerrrtt." She talks like that too if you watch her interviews long enough. I actually find it really endearing.

She is my favorite Supreme after Mary Wilson. As for being in the background, her and Mary glow and shine with their bright big smiles. I loved flo, but Mary and Cindy just looked so great together.
    Last edited by imakicola; 08-01-2017 at 01:16 PM.

I would never say that Cindy was the most glamorous in the group but her presence along with Mary helps personify that glamour image the girls had. And when Scherrie joined, that was pure glamour from top to bottom. Vocally I thought her best was her part in Love The One You With. Very soulful.

Quote Originally Posted by imakicola View Post
    Agreed in every way!!
    Except I think that while she does disappear when singing with others, her voice is very distinctly her when she sings solo. And it shocks me every time because I always forget that she sounds the way she sounds because she also pronounces things a bit funny sometimes. Look at her performance with Kelly Rowland. "Leaving me alone and heeerrrtt." She talks like that too if you watch her interviews long enough. I actually find it really endearing.

She is my favorite Supreme after Mary Wilson. As for being in the background, her and Mary glow and shine with their bright big smiles. I loved flo, but Mary and Cindy just looked so great together.
    She's a Joisey girl from Camden and Mount Holly.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I would never say that Cindy was the most glamorous in the group but her presence along with Mary helps personify that glamour image the girls had. And when Scherrie joined, that was pure glamour from top to bottom. Vocally I thought her best was her part in Love The One You With. Very soulful.
    I liked her when they sang "Baby You Got What It Takes" with the Four Tops!

John G. Stumpf Guest

John G. Stumpf Guest

Rare version of till the boat sails away by cindy birdsong. The version which was issued for the market is sung by mary wilson because at the time Cindy had left the supremes in 1976

Quote Originally Posted by John G. Stumpf View Post

Rare version of till the boat sails away by cindy birdsong. The version which was issued for the market is sung by mary wilson because at the time Cindy had left the supremes in 1976
    thanks so much for posting this it has been many years since I've heard it thanks again

Diana and Cindy were so pretty and so supreme.

Quote Originally Posted by John G. Stumpf View Post
    Need some dancing room?

Well
    if you play this clunker that ought to clear the floor for ya!

John G. Stumpf Guest

John G. Stumpf Guest

I am aware that some of these videos have been posted in other threads.
    Last edited by John G. Stumpf; 08-02-2017 at 03:10 AM.

John G. Stumpf Guest

Supremes Cindy Birdsong singing solo lines in Floy Joy
    Last edited by John G. Stumpf; 08-02-2017 at 03:14 AM.

John G. Stumpf Guest

CINDY BIRDSONG - 'God Gave The Song' & Interview.avi

John G. Stumpf Guest

Remember Cindy's guest appearance on the Regis Philbin Show where she sang the lead on the Supremes Medley of Hits?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Remember Cindy's guest appearance on the Regis Philbin Show where she sang the lead on the Supremes Medley of Hits?
    Yes she also sang "Ready For You" which I'm surprised hasn't showed up oh youtube.