[REMOVE ADS]

Standing On The Top!

Isn't this just AWESOME!?

I just love hearing all those amazing voices on one cracking tune... David Ruffin, Eddie, Dennis, Richard, Melvin, Glenn [[sorry Otis) and even Rick James and The Mary Jane Girls! Oh, and the dancing, the choreography, the sharing and throwing about of the mics... oh how I love this...
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 07-30-2017 at 09:16 PM.

It really is a fantastic song Tom. If I'm being truthful though, it's the Rick James element that really makes it a classic. But the video itself is awesome on it's own. All those legends doing their thing. Terrific.

You're hitting me where I LIVE now, Tom! This is one of my all-time "desert island" jams.

Rick was awesome but those 7 Tempts were outstanding.
    RIP David, Eddie, Melvin, Richard and Rick. We still want the funk.

that is some good stuff. good for Rick James to offer that up.

What did Eddie eat ??? air??

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    that is some good stuff. good for Rick James to offer that up.

What did Eddie eat ??? air??
    I believe he was already poorly at this point and that's why his voice was weak also.

Ivor

Hey RanRan, sans, james, and Boogiedown, I'm so glad y'all like it so much too!!! It's just so fantastic to see and hear. I could watch that video over and over... oh my

Quote Originally Posted by Laserdk View Post
    I believe he was already poorly at this point and that's why his voice was weak also.

Ivor
    Mmm, poor Eddie, although I don't think he sounds that bad at all here. I like the little sassy lines he contributes, lol

I don't believe Eddie got a full lead on The Tempts' Reunion album which I would have loved to hear. I know this might have been because of his weakened voice but he did get a lead [[and did much more singing) on the Ruffin & Kendrick album 6 years later so...

Didn't Eddie have a lung removed by this point? And this is one of my favorite later Tempts songs!

Tom, great video, great track, great voices, some lovely moves. What more can could we ask for.

Quote Originally Posted by McMotown View Post
    Tom, great video, great track, great voices, some lovely moves. What more can could we ask for.
    MMM-HMM, exactly Paul, it is just perfect.

I also found this video on YouTube... the same clip interspersed with footage of the actual recording, oh and with Stevie Wonder introducing the song!!!! Anyone know where this is from?

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I also found this video on YouTube... the same clip interspersed with footage of the actual recording, oh and with Stevie Wonder introducing the song!!!! Anyone know where this is from?

It comes from the Temps and Tops Showtime broadcast. I used to have a copy on VHS and transferred it to DVD before the tape broke.

Not to hijack this thread but here is another gem from the Reunion album:

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Not to hijack this thread but here is another gem from the Reunion album:
    OHH, gary, feel free to hijack, I'm sure I would have posted that in a bit anyway, I ABSOLUTELY ADORE "You Better Beware"...!!!! Utterly fantastic throwback to the Motown sound written and produced by Barrett Strong I believe. Wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    It comes from the Temps and Tops Showtime broadcast. I used to have a copy on VHS and transferred it to DVD before the tape broke.
    Ah, thanks gary.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    OHH, gary, feel free to hijack, I'm sure I would have posted that in a bit anyway, I ABSOLUTELY ADORE "You Better Beware"...!!!! Utterly fantastic throwback to the Motown sound written and produced by Barrett Strong I believe. Wonderful.
    Tom this is actually my favorite from that album. It is constantly in my music shuffle rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Tom this is actually my favorite from that album. It is constantly in my music shuffle rotation.
    Oooh, don't blame you, RanRan. I think I have to go for "Standing On The Top" as my favourite, simply because of all the legendary voices singing it, but "You Better Beware" is as close as close seconds can be

I love watching that clip from the top of the thread. I've a soft spot for Backstage from the Reunion album.

About "You Better Beware"... I know the song was written and produced by Barrett Strong... but I have read that Barrett actually took The Tempts' 1969 song "Running Away [[Ain't Gonna Help You" and reworked it into "You Better Beware"... I can hear some similarities but that's it. What do you think? Can anyone confirm this?

Here's the wonderful "Running Away [[Ain't Gonna Help You)" for y'all to compare...