[REMOVE ADS]

RARE 1968 THROWBACK: "Diana Ross & The Supremes ENDORSE Hubert H. Humphrey For PRESID

Here's something rare and special:

First the commemoration of the 67' Detroit Riots to this endorsement. So many childhood memories coming now......

Here's an interesting bit of trivia. Diane, Mary and Cindy endorsed Humphrey but Nixon won. Florence Ballard performed at one of Nixon's Inauguration Balls.

Didn't Berry get upset and feel that Diana bungled this and would do no more endorsements or I may be thinking of another occasion but I remember reading something like that. Like yea she spent hours with HH discussing his policy!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Didn't Berry get upset and feel that Diana bungled this and would do no more endorsements or I may be thinking of another occasion but I remember reading something like that. Like yea she spent hours with HH discussing his policy!
    Yes it was this situation that prompted Mr. Gordy to react that way. If you watch closely you will noticed Senator Humphrey cover for Diana in a most gracious way. The reporters then were almost as rude as they are today.

Ironically, it would be Mary Wilson that ended up getting knee deep in American politics from her work getting legislation passed in multiple States on behalf of the Truth in Music initiative, endorsing and campaigning for Hilary Clinton, involvement with the Congress Black Caucus and Women's League of Voters to performing for the Senate!

O wow, never saw the actual footage. Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    O wow, never saw the actual footage. Thanks for posting!
    You are most welcome Jaap. What I remember most about that time was that most of the college kids seemed to be pulling for Eugene McCarthy. When the Supremes endorsed Humphrey, I remember that got a lot of flack for it for some reason. I was a kid and can't remember exactly what they problem was with this endorsement.

Diana's hat does not match her outfit.

I also wonder what was promised Gordy, or what went under the table to secure this endorsement. Nothing is free in the political world.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 07-29-2017 at 06:49 PM.

I think Diana was in over her head, and was put in this position - along with the other Supremes - because of an edict from Motown. Even though she professes to have talked to the Vice President for hours about his policy, she had trouble anwering questions from the press. She was asked what else they talked about during their hour and a half conference besides his "stop the killing and talk later" policy, and she replied, "that's about it."

Berry should not have put the ladies in this position unless they really were involved in politics and informed on the issues.

They obviously were not. When I saw this almost fifty years ago on TV, I felt embarrassed for them. Watching it now, I feel the same

This was probably the most cringe-worthy moment of Diane's career. I cannot fathom why she was not coached, but merely given a prepared statement and then just thrown under the bus when it was time for extemporaneous comments. How could her handlers have been so unaware of how reporters operate, how things would play out? She came off looking entirely unprepared and the whole débacle ended up doing more harm than good, both to her and to Humphrey.