Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jbpintus View Post
    Fantastic set!
    This a set nobody here should pass on.
    Thanks Paul and everyone involved!

It's great to know it sells well too!

Keep 'em coming!

JB
    Thank you JB will pass your thoughts onto the team I'm sure they will be thrilled took a long time to get there with what is my first for SoulMusic Records but glad it's being received so well.

I was in HMV, Bond Street, today and to my surprise they had a copy in stock.

I just got my shipping confirmation from www.wowhd.us to verify that my CD was shipped today from Shepherdsville, KY. It is being shipped 2 days before the release date. If I get mine by Monday 8/28 I will be very happy. I think I got the lowest possible price with free shipping.
    This is the first I heard of wowhd and based upon this, I probably will be using them in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I just got my shipping confirmation from www.wowhd.us to verify that my CD was shipped today from Shepherdsville, KY. It is being shipped 2 days before the release date. If I get mine by Monday 8/28 I will be very happy. I think I got the lowest possible price with free shipping.
    This is the first I heard of wowhd and based upon this, I probably will be using them in the future.
    Wow that's great service - I gather Brenda is getting a copy delivered herself this coming week - I'm hoping she's gonna approve - let us know what you think of the set

Wow, Bill, I just checked out that website and the prices are crazy [[good)! And free delivery!!! I wish I had checked the website before I ordered The Undisputed Truth CD [[Nothing But The Truth) but oh well. Thanks for the post though!! Like you I will probably be using them in the future...!

I hear Brenda is going to be on the radio on the Bonnie Sher Show live on line on the 31st to talk about the new CD and her upcoming trip to the UK. For us fans here in the UK anyone know if it's available on catch up and what the station name is.

I pre-ordered this from Amazon US. It should be arriving today, but I just checked the website since I hadn't heard anything. It says "Not yet shipped" and then "Arriving by 8PM today". I'm guessing it hasn't shipped and won't be arriving. That would truly bum me out.

Well, Amazon US just changed the delivery date on my copy of Spellbound to September 13 - September 29. Not happy about this at all.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Well, Amazon US just changed the delivery date on my copy of Spellbound to September 13 - September 29. Not happy about this at all.

I got the same message. Totally disappointed! Then went online and looked to get a copy from elsewhere. Several places say "out of stock." The average delivery date from those who do have the disc is mid-September. What is going on? Did they just not print enough???

OK so swayed by the great prices [[and free delivery) on WOW HD, I pre-ordered "Spellbound" along with the Willie Hutch 2'fer and the upcoming Undisputed Truth set [[in early July).

I have been informed that Brenda and Willie are on their way but have been growing just a little impatient - so much so that yesterday I ordered another copy of "Spellbound" from Amazon and it arrived today. Yippee. Incidentally I also saw a copy of it in HMV in Golden Square, Warrington today so HMV have stocks. First looks are everything I hoped for and I'm looking to forward to my first listen later. Gonna be a great weekend! Enjoy your weekend too folks.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    OK so swayed by the great prices [[and free delivery) on WOW HD, I pre-ordered "Spellbound" along with the Willie Hutch 2'fer and the upcoming Undisputed Truth set [[in early July).

I have been informed that Brenda and Willie are on their way but have been growing just a little impatient - so much so that yesterday I ordered another copy of "Spellbound" from Amazon and it arrived today. Yippee. Incidentally I also saw a copy of it in HMV in Golden Square, Warrington today so HMV have stocks. First looks are everything I hoped for and I'm looking to forward to my first listen later. Gonna be a great weekend! Enjoy your weekend too folks.

So what's with Amazon? I ordered my Brenda CD six weeks ago and up until yesterday it was stating that it would be delivered today. So today I suddenly get an email saying it will not arrive until mid September!!!!

And now I see that Mysterysinger ordered from Amazon just yesterday and received it today. Good for Mysterysinger but BOO to Amazon. I cancelled my Amazon order.
    Last edited by longtimefan; 08-25-2017 at 05:04 PM.

I'm really sorry to hear you are having difficulties getting hold of the new Brenda Holloway CD it must have sold very well and perhaps demand exceeded supply in this case, I am sure they will be on the case as soon as possible in order to fulfil outstanding orders in the meantime look at these chart positions

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts...reakers-chart/

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts...-albums-chart/

Thanks to Copsey over on Motown Treasures for supplying them

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    I'm really sorry to hear you are having difficulties getting hold of the new Brenda Holloway CD it must have sold very well and perhaps demand exceeded supply in this case, I am sure they will be on the case as soon as possible in order to fulfil outstanding orders in the meantime look at these chart positions

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts...reakers-chart/

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts...-albums-chart/

Thanks to Copsey over on Motown Treasures for supplying them
    Oh wow, that's so cool to see!!!! Brenda's album hitting the charts! Love it

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    So what's with Amazon? I ordered my Brenda CD six weeks ago and up until yesterday it was stating that it would be delivered today. So today I suddenly get an email saying it will not arrive until mid September!!!!

And now I see that Mysterysinger ordered from Amazon just yesterday and received it today. Good for Mysterysinger but BOO to Amazon. I cancelled my Amazon order.
    I, too, am one who ordered from Amazon US back in July and [[like ThomMG) got the messages that it was "shipping today" [[Friday) and then became delayed until mid-September. I chalk it up to there not having been enough stock made of the item that it made it to the US from the UK. BUT! It's WONDERFUL that it has already been exceeding sales expectations! Brenda deserves any and all recognition that could come from this CD doing so well!

Oh--and I think Mysterysinger received theirs so quickly after ordering because they're in the UK and ordering from Amazon UK. I have occasionally experienced this kind of delay with newly-released Ace/Kent product, too, that I order from Amazon US. While it's highly annoying, the only thing I can think to make myself feel better is that the item[[s) are selling well.

Another general observation: perhaps all Motown-related releases are finally starting to sell better than they had in the past? I hope it helps more Motown to be released in the future!
    Last edited by danman869; 08-26-2017 at 10:47 AM. Reason: clarification about Ace/Kent release shipping delays

I just received via the USPS [[U S Postal System) tracking system that my CD has arrived Saturday at 1:48 PM at the local post office. That means that without fail, it will be delivered to my box on Monday the 28th. Not bad considering it was only to be released yesterday. I anxiously look forward to receiving and listening to it.
    I bought it from wowhd.
    Last edited by woodward; 08-26-2017 at 03:34 PM. Reason: add sentence.

I just received via the USPS [[U S Postal System) tracking system that my CD has arrived Saturday at 1:48 PM at the local post office. That means that without fail, it will be delivered to my box on Monday the 28th. Not bad considering it was only to be released yesterday. I anxiously look forward to receiving and listening to it.
    I bought it from wowhd.
    Brilliant news will look forward to hearing what you think about it next week.....your purchase help put Brenda back in the British Charts again well done.

Am eagerly awaiting my copy from wowhd.co.uk.

'...back in the British charts again...'

I was just thinking. Did any of Brenda's solo releases [[excluding various artist compilations) ever reach the British charts?

I can't recall that they did..or maybe one or two perhaps had a brief showing, lower in the top 50?

If they didn't, then this is Brenda's very first British chart entry, fifty years down the line..which makes 'Spellbound' all the more remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Am eagerly awaiting my copy from wowhd.co.uk.

'...back in the British charts again...'

I was just thinking. Did any of Brenda's solo releases [[excluding various artist compilations) ever reach the British charts?

I can't recall that they did..or maybe one or two perhaps had a brief showing, lower in the top 50?

If they didn't, then this is Brenda's very first British chart entry, fifty years down the line..which makes 'Spellbound' all the more remarkable.
    Anyone know the answers to this?

Anyone know the answers to this?
    Hmm, I'm pretty sure that Brenda never had any hit singles here in the UK [[yea, I know) so her albums, I don't know. Here's a list of Brenda's hits: http://www.musicvf.com/Brenda+Holloway.art

Maybe Brenda's Motown Anthology would have made the charts like Spellbound has... I remember reading a very positive review of it by the BBC... yes, here it is: http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/pqjw/

The UK Charts website, however, has 'no results' for Brenda, which I believe means she had no charting singles or albums on the main UK charts, but I'm not sure. Here it is: http://www.officialcharts.com/search...da%20holloway/

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hmm, I'm pretty sure that Brenda never had any hit singles here in the UK [[yea, I know) so her albums, I don't know. Here's a list of Brenda's hits: http://www.musicvf.com/Brenda+Holloway.art

Maybe Brenda's Motown Anthology would have made the charts like Spellbound has... I remember reading a very positive review of it by the BBC... yes, here it is: http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/pqjw/

The UK Charts website, however, has 'no results' for Brenda, which I believe means she had no charting singles or albums on the main UK charts, but I'm not sure. Here it is: http://www.officialcharts.com/search...da%20holloway/
    I had a good look at the chart history as well and \I couldn't find one entry in the 60's so this album is a record breaker for Brenda - I've just sent her a congratulatory message - i bet she's chuffed

I had a good look at the chart history as well and \I couldn't find one entry in the 60's so this album is a record breaker for Brenda - I've just sent her a congratulatory message - i bet she's chuffed
    Oh, that's so great! Thanks Paul. So cool to see her album hitting the charts in the present day! I'm so happy for her!!!!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 08-30-2017 at 05:32 AM.

Hi All, as a 'Newbie' this is my first post. I've now heard both CDs, twice. I can't thank Paul Nixon enough for his hard work, you've surpassed your own high standards mate! To John Lester for supplying the beautiful picture on P5, to Sharon Davis for her, as always, comprehensive liner notes, again, Paul, for your lines of thought, Cherry Red for running with this vision and, so obviously, the wonderful Brenda herself. A true recognition at last! So great to hear the previously unreleased stuff but also tracks such as Can't Hold The Feeling Back which seems to have a new life. My favourite disc is Disc 2, altogether more up tempo, something I associate Ms Holloway with BUT my favourite tune? Just has to be I Still Get Butterflies, so redolent of the angst and unfulfilled love that we often get from our first ever true love. Thank you, thank you, thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastleighsoulboy View Post
    Hi All, as a 'Newbie' this is my first post. I've now heard both CDs, twice. I can't thank Paul Nixon enough for his hard work, you've surpassed your own high standards mate! To John Lester for supplying the beautiful picture on P5, to Sharon Davis for her, as always, comprehensive liner notes, again, Paul, for your lines of thought, Cherry Red for running with this vision and, so obviously, the wonderful Brenda herself. A true recognition at last! So great to hear the previously unreleased stuff but also tracks such as Can't Hold The Feeling Back which seems to have a new life. My favourite disc is Disc 2, altogether more up tempo, something I associate Ms Holloway with BUT my favourite tune? Just has to be I Still Get Butterflies, so redolent of the angst and unfulfilled love that we often get from our first ever true love. Thank you, thank you, thank you so much!
    Wow great review Eastleighsoulboy and welcome to Souldful Detroit and your first post, you'll find a great bunch of Motown fans over here who I'm sure will make you very welcome. If it's OK I'm going tp pass on your thoughts to Cherry Red and SoulMusic Records who've asked to see any 'reviews' or mentions of it on fan sites - I am sure they'll be delighted - I know I am and like you I Still Get Butterflies.

Brenda never had any UK chart entries, until now that is

I distinctly remember Tony Blackburn playing the reissue of " Just look what you've done" on his breakfast show...he had a habit of playing a Motown track in the last few minutes before 9.00 am...I know because I waited to hear the last few minutes before setting off for school....often getting there late as Assembly started.

Brenda has asked me to remind you all that she is on the radio today 2PM California time 10pm UK promoting the new CD Name:  21284330_1679311028777956_470692779_o.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  77.2 KB

Also she would like to share her official Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/theebrendaholloway/

Thank you, Jack020, for posting the review from The Second Disc. I contacted Amazon and they said they are out of stock and would inform me when it becomes available again.

Quote Originally Posted by zani57 View Post
    Thank you, Jack020, for posting the review from The Second Disc. I contacted Amazon and they said they are out of stock and would inform me when it becomes available again.
    Amazon sold out as well - that's crazy is that on the US or UK site?

Amazon sold out as well - that's crazy is that on the US or UK site?
    US Paul, still in stock in UK. I think that Amazon US only had a limited supply as the sales position is very low.
    Last edited by copley; 08-31-2017 at 07:38 AM.

Got mine today by way of WOW.HD. Someone said they shipped from Germany. Not sure...mine seemed to come from somewhere in the US but it did seem to come a few days [[or even a week maybe?) after others said they got it.

Great set, though. Wow, she wails "Today I Sing the Blues" and almost sounds like Aretha. And I love her version of the Kim Weston song "Just Loving You" which is great as well. Sound is very good too. So glad this came out!

So glad Brenda's tracks are all being mined in the vaults. Finally after all this time, she's been well served. But wouldn't it be great to finally get some Blinky out of there? I hope this label keeps it up!

Name:  21268737_1680741025301623_207599005_n.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  33.5 KB

Our Brenda has her copy and looks as pleased as punch and doesnt she look wonderful? Photo courtesy Rudy Calvo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWJ8IMUO-VI

For those who missed the show

[QUOTE=paul_nixon;

Our Brenda has her copy and looks as pleased as punch and doesnt she look wonderful? Photo courtesy Rudy Calvo[/QUOTE]

Pleased...and gorgeous indeed!

I put up a review on Amazon. Guys, please be sure to do that. Here, we're preaching to the choir. Let's make sure Brenda sells a lot of these!

Having ordered "Spellbound" in early July from Wow HD along with the Willie Hutch and Undisputed Truth CDs, I can tell you that shipping on the first 2 was 22nd August and receipt was not until today - 1st September. That's quite a wait [[and in between I bought another "Spellbound" from Amazon but Disc 1 was scratched and the whole CD returned for a refund).

Have to say that my Wow copy of "Spellbound" is also damaged as the case is cracked [[!) as is the case on the Wow Willie Hutch CD, but I think I'll keep them - shall have to obtain some suitable [[more robust?) jewel cases. Still waiting for the Undisputed Truth but that was released later than the other 2 - wonder what condition that will arrive in.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 09-01-2017 at 04:05 PM.

@mysterysinger, I'm almost surprised when CDs in the double slim line packs arrive undamaged. Mine was okay but the hubs on the liner made the CD really hard to get out - I was sure I was going to break the CDs.

Let us know what you thought of the music after you have a listen. I'm loving it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWJ8IMUO-VI

For those who missed the show
    Thank you for posting the link.
    I don't wish to be critical but the interviewer's style & questions left a lot to be desired [[imho). Brenda however was lovely, charming, and honest.

Wasn't she amazing - considering the poor girl had only had her copy of the CD a few hours it was amazing she was able to talk a little about it - we have to remember these tracks were laid down over 50 years ago - and she was churning out classics day and night. Remembering what I did last week is bad enough LOL.....

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    @mysterysinger, I'm almost surprised when CDs in the double slim line packs arrive undamaged. Mine was okay but the hubs on the liner made the CD really hard to get out - I was sure I was going to break the CDs.

Let us know what you thought of the music after you have a listen. I'm loving it.
    I've had the same trouble getting the CD out of the case - hope Brenda managed to prize hers off lol. Wonder if she has copies of all her CDs [[and albums for that matter). I think it is going to take a couple more playings before any favourites emerge for me on "Spellbound". However, congratulations to all involved on the CD set and for the chart placing. I expect there'll be more to come?

I've had the same trouble getting the CD out of the case - hope Brenda managed to prize hers off lol. Wonder if she has copies of all her CDs [[and albums for that matter). I think it is going to take a couple more playings before any favourites emerge for me on "Spellbound". However, congratulations to all involved on the CD set and for the chart placing. I expect there'll be more to come?
    Then you must play it lots and quickly for there are at least a dozen tracks on there that hooked me from the first spin

I love her versions of "Just Loving You," "What Good Am I Without You," and especially her version of "Today I Sing the Blues." I've always thought of Holloway as a very gifted singer, but one who often relied on her usual sultry style to put over a song. "Blues" is nothing like anything you've ever heard her done before and proves she could belt with the best of 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post

I agree about the music. The first disc I would rate at a 3 star and the second disc I would rate at a 5 star [[highest).

I do agree about the difficulty of getting the CDs out of the case. It's a problem they have not mastered yet.

Brenda Holloway - The Queen of Northern Soul

Quote Originally Posted by jbpintus View Post
    Fantastic set!
    This a set nobody here should pass on.
    Thanks Paul and everyone involved!

It's great to know it sells well too!

Keep 'em coming!

JB
    Congrats to ALL involved with this new album. How old is she? what a new album? VERY WELL DONE MA'MA

Quote Originally Posted by lester View Post
    Congrats to ALL involved with this new album. How old is she? what a new album? VERY WELL DONE MA'MA
    You never ask a lady her age LOL - I'll pass on your remarks to the label who are so far over the moon with the reception this release has had - here's hoping there maybe some more in the pipeline you never know

Probably a useless post from me. But I can't help but saying once again how fantastic this set is.

A few points come to mind anyway :

- Brenda Holloway can still surprise us with 33 classic tracks. There is not a single bad or even so-so track in there. She's fabulous. So much soul and 'presence' in her singing. She's one of the greatest voices ever imho. I don't think she knows she's that much admired by people all over the world, that maybe somewhere a 13 year old kid may be spinning this last cd to death - at that age I was playing the newly released "Greatest Hits and Rare Classics" which I had bought as an import from the US and whose selections ended being played to death in the middle of nowhere in France...

- I didn't fully appreciate the tracks when released as downloads. So we do need more physical releases of everything available as downloads only. Else we'll miss something.

- DRATS are great. And I long for the next expanded release of Sing HDH. But : money can be also made with the likes of Brenda Holloway, Undisputed Truth or Willie Hutch, so please Mr and Mrs the powers-that-be, please give the green lights to people knowing what we are going to buy, even artists that didn't sell that much in the past. Bring on Jr Walker, Jermaine Jackson, the Originals... and Blinky of course !

JB

Maybe it's just me. But everytime I get to the last track, Brenda's quote from The Motown Story [[lp & cd) "that being at Motown was just like being at Disneyland" comes to mind. And reading that she recorded demos for most of what was to be the Supremes Disney album was intriguing. It also sent me to DFTMC.
    I can't find any info for The Land Of Make Believe other than by DR&TS.
    Was Brenda's interview conducted during the time she was cutting those demos? And what other songs from that project did she demo?

I really hope we'll hear them someday. A "Motown Sings Disney Classic" 2 CDs set would be fantastic...
    Cd 1 : Brenda Holloway's demos
    Cd 2 : The Supremes sing Disney Classics complete works

It would surely sell well; and get mixed reviews as well probably.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    Maybe it's just me. But everytime I get to the last track, Brenda's quote from The Motown Story [[lp & cd) "that being at Motown was just like being at Disneyland" comes to mind. And reading that she recorded demos for most of what was to be the Supremes Disney album was intriguing. It also sent me to DFTMC.
    I can't find any info for The Land Of Make Believe other than by DR&TS.
    Was Brenda's interview conducted during the time she was cutting those demos? And what other songs from that project did she demo?

Most of them have a demo JB

"When You Wish Upon A Star" Brenda style?