[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Glad to hear the label bosses are happy with this.
    Hopefully more....Originals and Ivy Hunter would be my choice , presumably there are a number of unissued tracks. But the Originals albums would be ideal.

Thelma Houston anthology with unreleased tracks, please :-)

I've been playing this collection on a loop today. The music really gets under your skin. The versatility of Brenda in these recordings is astounding. The mastering is amazing. The sound is far superior to the digital downloads to my ears.
    Congratulations to everyone involved in this release.
    I'm sure the great reception this CD has received has made Brenda 'so very happy'

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Glad to hear the label bosses are happy with this.
    Hopefully more....Originals and Ivy Hunter would be my choice , presumably there are a number of unissued tracks. But the Originals albums would be ideal.
    With you on both counts. Fingers crossed that there is enough interest to warrant releases from these artists.

I would love just about anything... The Originals, Ivy Jo Hunter, Thelma Houston, it's all good...!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    With you on both counts. Fingers crossed that there is enough interest to warrant releases from these artists.
    Hopefully there is, boyfromxtown! I would certainly be interested

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    I'm sure the great reception this CD has received has made Brenda 'so very happy'
    The definitive quote!

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Then you must play it lots and quickly for there are at least a dozen tracks on there that hooked me from the first spin
    Well after a few spins I have to concur with the view that this is an amazing package. Most [[probably all) of the tracks are very commercial to my ears and several would have stood up as singles, maybe with hit potential. The arrangements and production are great throughout. There are some tremendous vocal performances and utterly outstanding is her vocal range on "Just Loving You".

We hear lots of different sides to Brenda's vocal capabilities, at times having a feel of Gladys or Martha and also one track, "Girl On The Run", shows that she would have been perfect as vocalist on one of the Bond themes [[still could be?). There's a rather sexy sound too at the start of "Lucky My Boy".

There's such a range of styles and dare I say eras because there are tracks that sound like they were prepared for Brenda's first album but then some that suggest she could have released a "Sophisticated Soul" type of album.

Some gritty soulful performances, interspersed with mellow sounds and dance cuts. The set has it all and more. Well done everyone involved. But I still can't pick a favourite - I like 'em all.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 09-07-2017 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Well after a few spins I have to concur with the view that this is an amazing package. Most [[probably all) of the tracks are very commercial to my ears and several would have stood up as singles, maybe with hit potential. The arrangements and production are great throughout. There are some tremendous vocal performances and utterly outstanding is her vocal range on "Just Loving You".

We hear lots of different sides to Brenda's vocal capabilities, at times having a feel of Gladys or Martha and also one track, "Girl On The Run", shows that she would have been perfect as vocalist on one of the Bond themes [[still could be?). There's a rather sexy sound too at the start of "Lucky My Boy".

There's such a range of styles and dare I say eras because there are tracks that sound like they were prepared for Brenda's first album but then some that suggest she could have released a "Sophisticated Soul" type of album.

Some gritty soulful performances, interspersed with mellow sounds and dance cuts. The set has it all and more. Well done everyone involved. But I still can't pick a favourite - I like 'em all.
    What amazing review I am making sure Cherry Red and Soul music Records see everyone of these as soon as they are posted who knows enough glowing reviews and sales and it could be the start of a beautiful friendship....

Hallelujah! My copy of Spellbound just arrived in New York City. Hopefully all the other USA people on backorder through Amazon will receive theirs. Cannot wait to get home to listen to this. After a mediocre to bad morning at work I now have light at the end of the tunnel!

Can't wait for my copy, ordered 2nd September from an Amazon trader.

Brenda is at Skegness and she's excited to be back in the UK.

Have a great time Brenda - we love you

Name:  Brenda Holloway 623.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  49.9 KB

Wayne and Brenda..about 5 minutes ago! lol

Awesome photo can you give us a run down on Brenda's set please
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend

Quote Originally Posted by dickiemint View Post
    Awesome photo can you give us a run down on Brenda's set please
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend
    Wayne will be back tomorrow. I think Brenda is performing this afternoon.

By eck! Things are looking up.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    By eck! Things are looking up.
    Lol

When I saved the image it kinda stretched out a bit

Try this

Name:  IMG_6654.JPG
Views: 749
Size:  48.1 KB
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 09-24-2017 at 06:53 PM.

Lol - I don't think either version is flattering to Ms. Holloway [[or her right nostril). She is a beautiful and friendly lady - I expect she performed something from her "new album" [[i.e. "Spellbound"). Also there are bound to be videos on YouTube.

My back-ordered copy finally arrived and it was worth the wait--the CD mastering sounds absolutely wonderful! I compared it to the Motown Unreleased downloads [[which were all in mono) and noticed 10 of the songs on the new Spellbound set are stereo mixes [[and most of them have longer extended endings too!) They did a great job on this.

I almost thought the stereo version of "I Feel Your Love Growin' On Me" had to be a different recording of the song cuz it sounds so different from the mono mix, but it's the same recording, it just sounds different cuz her voice is double-tracked on the stereo mix.

And "It's Going All The Way To True True Love" has the same music as The Supremes' song, but the lyrics are totally different. I wonder if it had a different working title...

Might as well add this list I made for anyone who's trying to collect all of the bonus unreleased Brenda Holloway Motown songs that have been officially released. If you have the new Spellbound 2CD set and her 2CD The Motown Anthology from 2005 [[I just noticed it's now available as a download, which is good since the physical CD version is now very rare and goes for so much money!) then here's every other Motown song available that's not on those 2 sets:

COMPILATION CD SONGS

THIS IS NORTHERN SOUL! THE MOTOWN SOUND

Lonely Boy

TAMLA MOTOWN CONNOISSEURS
    Tell Me Your Story

A CELLARFUL OF MOTOWN!

All Your Love
    How Can I
    My World Is Crumbling
    Who You Gonna Run To
    Trapped In A Love Affair

A CELLARFUL OF MOTOWN! VOL. 2

Crying Time

A CELLARFUL OF MOTOWN! VOL. 3
    You’re Walking Out With My Heart
    We’ll Keep On Rolling
    Going To A Go-Go

A CELLARFUL OF MOTOWN! VOL. 4
    My Baby Moves Me
    Little Miss Loser

MOTOWN SINGS MOTOWN TREASURES

Ooo Baby Baby

FINDERS KEEPERS: MOTOWN GIRLS 1961-67
    Don’t Turn Your Back On Me

THE ARTISTRY OF BRENDA HOLLOWAY
    Mr Lifeguard [[Come And Rescue Me)
    My Smile Is Just A Frown Turned Upside Down
    After All That You’ve Done
    The Love Line
    Can’t We Be Strangers Again
    Just Another Lonely Night
    Where There’s A Will There’s A Way
    It’s Love I Need

LOVE & AFFECTION: MORE MOTOWN GIRLS
    Reassure Me That You Love Me
    Lonely Teardrops

DOWNLOAD-ONLY SONGS

MOTOWN UNRELEASED 1963
    Each Little Teardrop

MOTOWN UNRELEASED 1966
    Baby I’ve Got It
    Keep Me
    Last edited by Buttered Popcorn and so forth; 10-07-2017 at 03:37 AM.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttered Popcorn and so forth View Post
    Might as well add this list I made for anyone who's trying to collect all of the bonus unreleased Brenda Holloway Motown songs that have been officially released. If you have the new Spellbound 2CD set and her 2CD The Motown Anthology from 2005 [[I just noticed it's now available as a download, which is good since the physical CD version is now very rare and goes for so much money!) then here's every other Motown song available that's not on those 2 sets:

COMPILATION CD SONGS

THIS IS NORTHERN SOUL! THE MOTOWN SOUND

Lonely Boy

TAMLA MOTOWN CONNOISSEURS
    Tell Me Your Story

A CELLARFUL OF MOTOWN!

All Your Love
    How Can I
    My World Is Crumbling
    Who You Gonna Run To
    Trapped In A Love Affair

A CELLARFUL OF MOTOWN! VOL. 2

Crying Time

A CELLARFUL OF MOTOWN! VOL. 3
    You’re Walking Out With My Heart
    We’ll Keep On Rolling
    Going To A Go-Go

A CELLARFUL OF MOTOWN! VOL. 4
    My Baby Moves Me
    Little Miss Loser

MOTOWN SINGS MOTOWN TREASURES

Ooo Baby Baby

FINDERS KEEPERS: MOTOWN GIRLS 1961-67
    Don’t Turn Your Back On Me

THE ARTISTRY OF BRENDA HOLLOWAY
    Mr Lifeguard [[Come And Rescue Me)
    My Smile Is Just A Frown Turned Upside Down
    After All That You’ve Done
    The Love Line
    Can’t We Be Strangers Again
    Just Another Lonely Night
    Where There’s A Will There’s A Way
    It’s Love I Need

LOVE & AFFECTION: MORE MOTOWN GIRLS
    Reassure Me That You Love Me
    Lonely Teardrops

DOWNLOAD-ONLY SONGS

MOTOWN UNRELEASED 1963
    Each Little Teardrop

MOTOWN UNRELEASED 1966
    Baby I’ve Got It
    Keep Me
    Thank You Sir, i just love info like this,i have everything mentioned above and it makes my life so easy to have a list like this,as im getting older im always trying to condense Motown Ultimate collections into fave cdr,this has helped so much,thank you once again.

Yeah it's great to have the info in one place. Thanks.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 10-07-2017 at 06:18 AM.

Great job!!! Many thanks for your efforts, Buttered Popcorn. This type of information sharing is what is best about SDF! Cheers! !!!

There is an alternative version of "Tell Me Your Story" which really needs to be released.

Well, now thanks to the surprise limited CD release of Motown Unreleased 1966 I can update the list. "Baby I've Got It" and "Keep Me" will finally be available on CD! And the following songs will be different mixes compared to the Spellbound CD [[they appear in stereo on Spellbound and mono on Motown Unreleased 1966):

Can’t You Hear Me Knocking
    Whenever You Need Me
    The Lonely Heart And Lonely Eyes Of Lonely Me
    What Good Am I Without You
    I Feel Your Love Growin’ On Me [[mono version has a single-track vocal compared to the double-tracked stereo vocal)
    Without Love You Lose A Good Feelin’
    You Got A Little Of Everything
    I’m Giving Up [[the end goes on longer on the mono version)
    Spellbound
    Can’t Hold The Feeling Back

"...I was just fed up with not having hits out, and everyone around me were having hits.

I just didn't have the foresight because I left the company in the middle of a Smokey Robinson session. I could have killed myself.

He was cutting all these songs on me and I wanted a hit, like everybody else did, but I didn't have any patience.

You know, there's so much that goes on along with the entertainment business backstage.

You see a lot other stuff that goes on, that other people don't see, and it kind of confuses you.

I was just a young kid."

- monkey-picks.blogspot.com - 'My Life Has Been Beautiful' interview, March 2014 -

June 26th: Happy Birthday to Brenda Holloway

Happy Birthday to Brenda Holloway!