[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    ILIS, was a weak top ten being there just one week. It was released with two platinum singles on the charts by DR&TS, so, naturally radio was all over it. Once sales did not meet airplay, it died a quick death.
    Is there a website that contains chart information for Motown songs and albums, such as length of time on chart?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Marv, you are correct: ILIS was a follow-up that Berry wanted to be similar - not a sequel - which it cannot be since the characters are not the same.

Marv, you are wrong: Most people who can and make jam do not grow their own.

ILIS, was a weak top ten being there just one week. It was released with two platinum singles on the charts by DR&TS, so, naturally radio was all over it. Once sales did not meet airplay, it died a quick death.
    There are many artists that would kill for a Top Ten hit.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Oh you know what I'm sayin......... My mother's mother was big into canning and making homemade things like cakes and pies. My mother could not be bothered even though she had a considerably larger house and kitchen. She was a 70s mom LOL!!!!
    Mine was 70's mom too Marv! She went on strike at home and said enough of this and got a job! No more homemade jam. In Detroit, in Indian Village we had big gardens and they did can a lot food.

I loved this song. I was not bothered by home made jam. Diana's vocals were superb, and she sold the tragic lyrics. I remember crying when I first heard it.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Mine was 70's mom too Marv! She went on strike at home and said enough of this and got a job! No more homemade jam. In Detroit, in Indian Village we had big gardens and they did can a lot food.
    DET! Yeah! My Mom went to work in 1970 and never looked back. This is when we began becoming accustom to things like Fish sticks and Tater Tots during the week for dinner LOL!!!

I know Indian Village, yes.

I too was around when 'I'm Living In Shame' was first released and I initially liked it a lot, as it was a sound alike to 'Love Child'[[never considered it a sequel). However, I tired of ILIS rather quickly and today while I don't hate it, it's not one of my favourite Supremes recordings.

I think that 'Love Child' was such a big hit because the record buying public [[especially young women) could relate to the lyrics and empathise with the dilemma that the character Diana Ross sang about was facing. However, to me 'I'm Living In Shame' was pure soap opera. I don't think too many people could identify with someone who lied about their mother dying on a weekend trip to Spain!!

I can totally understand why Diana and Mary don't choose to perform this song as both had close relationships with their very supportive mothers and would not relate to the song's lyrics.

Ozmo

However, to me 'I'm Living In Shame' was pure soap opera. I don't think too many people could identify with someone who lied about their mother dying on a weekend trip to Spain!!
    I think its even worse than that Ozmo !

Boogiedown. God nor Moses wrote what you saw on "Wiki". Whoever wrote it probably meant to say that it [["I Livin In Shame") was the follow up to "Love Child". It doesn't mean the same thing. All anyone needs to do is listen to the lyrics of both songs. They do not relate! lyrical content. "Love Child" is basically about teen pregnancy and a girl begging her boyfriend to let's wait before we go all the way and suffer the consequences. "I'm Living in Shame" is about a young woman ashamed of her poor background" that she's trying to run away and hide from.
    Yes guilty as charged !
    I should have reviewed what SHAME was about instead of depending on a very vague memory . I agree the two songs have nothing to do with each other , that SHAME is not somehow a sequel to LOVE CHILD , in fact even calling it a follow-up can be misleading, even though it was the next release by them , but story wise it was more of a one-off or a variation of a theme.

I like the song a lot less now that I've actually paid attention to the lyrics:

Mom was cooking bread,
    she wore a dirty raggety scarf around her head.
    Always had her stockings low,
    rolled to her feet, she just didn't know.
    She wore a sloppy dress,
    No matter how she tried, she always looked a mess.
    Out of the pot she ate, never used a fork or a dinner plate.
    I was always so ashamed for my uptown friends to see her,
    Afraid one day when I was grown that I would be her.

In a college town, away from home, a new identity I found.

Mom was cooking bread,
    She wore a sloppy dress,

Said I was born elite, with maids and servants at my feet.
    I must have been insane,
    I lied and said my mom died on a weekend trip to Spain.
    She never got out of the house, never even boarded a train.
    I married a guy, was livin' high,
    I didn't want him to know her,
    She had a grandson, two years old,
    I never even showed her.

I'm Livin' In Shame, Momma, I miss you.

Came the telegram,
    mom passed away while making homemade jam.
    Before she died, she cried to see me by her side.
    She always did her best, Ah! cookin', cleanin',
    always in the same old dress.
    Workin' hard down on her knees,
    always try'n to please.
    Momma! Momma! Do you hear me, Momma!

The narrator's mother is more than just poor, she seems to be a bit "touched " and not in a Mary Wilson way . Even the poorest of people have the capacity to use a plate and silverware when eating . Or to pull up their socks !!

Either just dirt poor, or loony as a loon , for 'Diana' to just run off and never check up on her , not once, even three years into a successful marriage of living well , to never contemplate rescuing her own hard working mother !

I'm proud of Diana for distancing herself from such a despicably selfish narrative !
    Who stuck us with that turkey from the HDH camp ? I bet it was Lamont! lol!

BTW
    I make homemade jam almost every morning . Mash my fresh fruit , usually strawberries in a sauce pan, boil it up with a bit of sugar, then spoon it on toast or oatmeal or pancakes. I'm fancy though,
    I call it compote!! lol!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 07-25-2017 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I think its even worse than that Ozmo !

Yes guilty as charged !
    I should have reviewed what SHAME was about instead of depending on a very vague memory . I agree the two songs have nothing to do with each other , that SHAME is not somehow a sequel to LOVE CHILD , in fact even calling it a follow-up can be misleading, even though it was the next release by them , but story wise it was more of a one-off or a variation of a theme.

I like the song a lot less now that I've actually paid attention to the lyrics:

Mom was cooking bread,
    She wore a sloppy dress,

Mom was cooking bread,
    She wore a sloppy dress,

Said I was born elite, with maids and servants at my feet.
    I must have been insane,
    I lied and said my mom died on a weekend trip to Spain.
    She never got out of the house, never even boarded a train.
    I married a guy, was livin' high,
    I didn't want him to know her,
    She had a grandson, two years old,
    I never even showed her.

Came the telegram,
    mom passed away while making homemade jam.
    Before she died, she cried to see me by her side.
    She always did her best, Ah! cookin', cleanin',
    always in the same old dress.
    Workin' hard down on her knees,
    always try'n to please.

The narrator's mother is more than just poor, she seems to be a bit "touched " and not in a Mary Wilson way . Even the poorest of people have the capacity to use a plate and silverware when eating . Or to pull up their socks !!

Either just dirt poor, or loony as a loon , for 'Diana' to just run off and never check up on her , not once, even three years into a successful marriage of living well , to never contemplate rescuing her own hard working mother !

I'm proud of Diana for distancing herself from such a despicably selfish narrative !
    Who stuck us with that turkey from the HDH camp ? I bet it was Lamont! lol!

BTW
    I make homemade jam almost every morning . Mash my fresh fruit , usually strawberries in a sauce pan, boil it up with a bit of sugar, then spoon it on toast or oatmeal or pancakes. I'm fancy though,
    I call it compote!! lol!
    Boogiedown..................Exactly! Do you remember a hit song by Helen Reddy in the 70s called "Angie Baby"? It was another one of those very narrative songs that became popular in the U.S.

Boogiedown..................Exactly! Do you remember a hit song by Helen Reddy in the 70s called "Angie Baby"? It was another one of those very narrative songs that became popular in the U.S.
    Sure do. I was a fan.
    Another example of being a bit "touched" and not in a Mary Wilson way!

Sure do. I was a fan.
    Another example of being a bit "touched" and not in a Mary Wilson way!

That was a great song. Back at the time,1974 I had to listen to it a few times to understand it. It received a lot of airplay in Detroit Metro.

I've got another one for you

Back to SHAME : Maybe 'Diana' was worried she was a bit like mom ... in the middle of the song she references her own lack of sanity. Or the word usage was just a roundabout way for HDH to work the insanity notion into the song .

Back to SHAME : Maybe 'Diana' was worried she was a bit like mom ... in the middle of the song she references her own lack of sanity. Or the word usage was just a roundabout way for HDH to work the insanity notion into the song .

Oh yeah I remember that one too! LOL!!!!

Hey boogiedown, I believe the song was actually written by 'The Clan' [[R. Dean Taylor, Frank Wilson, Pam Sawyer, Deke Richards, Henry Cosby) with Berry Gordy. I'm pretty sure HDH had left Motown by 1969!

That could be. One thing though. HDH did not write this one.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hey boogiedown, I believe the song was actually written by 'The Clan' [[R. Dean Taylor, Frank Wilson, Pam Sawyer, Deke Richards, Henry Cosby) with Berry Gordy. I'm pretty sure HDH had left Motown by 1969!
    thanks for the gentle correction TT ! It doesn't sound like them at all does it. And I'm glad it isn't!

Marv, ever heard the "B" side?

I actually bought this record as a kid! And i remember the b side being very creepy to me.

ANY other 45s that had as their flip , the song in reverse??

thanks for the gentle correction TT ! It doesn't sound like them at all does it. And I'm glad it isn't!

Marv, ever heard the "B" side?

I actually bought this record as a kid! And i remember the b side being very creepy to me.

ANY other 45s that had as their flip , the song in reverse??
    Uh, that is too much. LOL

I have a hard time Believing that Diane Ross wouldn't say to her Mama "pull them stockings up or I'm gonna ______________!" And why couldn't she just mail her a new dress in 3 years???

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I have a hard time Believing that Diane Ross wouldn't say to her Mama "pull them stockings up or I'm gonna ______________!" And why couldn't she just mail her a new dress in 3 years???

lol! lol! lol!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post

I am trying to get Pam Sawyer to come to the forum. She and R. Dean Taylor are the only remaining survivors of that group of writers. Dean use to post year a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    You are killing me! LOL!!!!