[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I'm Livin In shame live

I can hear Mary and this sure sounds better than the record! Mary, Cindy and Flo were also a big part of the SOUND of the Supremes!https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eZRBTBMfaJw

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I can hear Mary and this sure sounds better than the record! Mary, Cindy and Flo were also a big part of the SOUND of the Supremes!https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eZRBTBMfaJw
    I've often wondered why the second verse was omitted? It's a clean shot, so it hasn't been cut. Perhaps for timing?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I've often wondered why the second verse was omitted? It's a clean shot, so it hasn't been cut. Perhaps for timing?
    They sound have cut the "home made jam" verse, I always cringe when I hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post

Thanks for sharing Luke. And yes, you can hear Mary & Cindy's vocals on this since it's live on TV [[they're not on the studio version of the song like most DRATS recordings from the late '60s).

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    They sound have cut the "home made jam" verse, I always cringe when I hear that.
    It must have been edited for time [[perhaps to make room for other performances on the show & commercials). Anyway, it's good to see another clip of Diana Ross & the Supremes on TV from the '60s.

Great song, but whoever choreographed Mary and Cindy [[Cholly?) appears to have been as bored as Mary and Cindy look.

I agree. Perhaps having to sing ooos and ahhhs to Mama passed away while makin home made jam totally embarrassed them and they couldn't take it seriously!!

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    Great song, but whoever choreographed Mary and Cindy [[Cholly?) appears to have been as bored as Mary and Cindy look.
    That is how it was a lot towards the end of "Diana Ross & the Supremes". They were starting to look like a "mature" act. LOL!!! Remember this was the sixties.

I literally can not stand this song. It was a cheap attempt to "shock" and emulate the success of "Love Child", but "Love Child" was vastly superior.

Lord knows I also hated the live version of their hits with those overblown, brassy and annoying "Las Vegas" endings.

Their recorded versions were always vastly superior to the middle of the road/sped up and over orchestrated versions they sang live.

The gowns the ladies wore in this clip were recycled for The Supremes Right On album, but then again all their old gowns were recycled and re-worn all the way up to 1977.

Hmm... interesting perfomance. None of them look very happy which is appropriate I guess, lol. I still don't really know what to make of this song... and that cringy homemade jam line... Lol

Quote Originally Posted by LoveSupreme View Post
    I literally can not stand this song. It was a cheap attempt to "shock" and emulate the success of "Love Child", but "Love Child" was vastly superior.

Lord knows I also hated the live version of their hits with those overblown, brassy and annoying "Las Vegas" endings.

Their recorded versions were always vastly superior to the middle of the road/sped up and over orchestrated versions they sang live.

The gowns the ladies wore in this clip were recycled for The Supremes Right On album, but then again all their old gowns were recycled and re-worn all the way up to 1977.
    You're funny. I was around when that record was released and on the radio. No one around at the time had a real problem with it. I believe it went Top 10. It had nothing in common with "Love Child", but more so with "Runaway Child" or even "Cloud Nine"[[records about escaping your current situation). Both of which some believe were superior to "Love Child".

You sound like you are just repeating something you read somewhere.

How old were you in 1969? There was really nothing wrong with that appearance on the Hollywood Palace. The Supremes were the top of the line at the time. Who could have done it better? No one else as I recall.
    Last edited by marv2; 07-23-2017 at 03:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hmm... interesting perfomance. None of them look very happy which is appropriate I guess, lol. I still don't really know what to make of this song... and that cringy homemade jam line... Lol
    It was a popular song in America when it was released.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It was a popular song in America when it was released.
    I bel that damn song charted strong in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    I bel that damn song charted strong in the states.
    It charted very well in the U.S. DET It was #10 Billboard Hot 100 and #8 Billboard R&B Chart. Contrary to popular belief, it was not the sequel to "Love Child". It was just another social commentary type record that Motown release that was popular during the late 60s. I remember hearing the intro on the radio and liking it. It received quite a bit of airplay.

It charted very well in the U.S. DET It was #10 Billboard Hot 100 and #8 Billboard R&B Chart. Contrary to popular belief, it was not the sequel to "Love Child". It was just another social commentary type record that Motown release that was popular during the late 60s. I remember hearing the intro on the radio and liking it. It received quite a bit of airplay.
    How is it you say that with such certainty Marv?

wiki , for one, disagrees with you:

wiki:

Inspired by the plot of Douglas Sirk's 1959 film Imitation of Life,[3] The Clan composed "I'm Livin' in Shame" as a sequel to the Supremes' number-one hit single, "Love Child." The song explores the quest of the 'love child' to shun both her impoverished childhood and her mother, and pass herself off to her friends and new husband as the daughter of a rich family. The woman's mother ends up dying without ever seeing her daughter as an adult, or ever meeting her two-year-old grandson, to the child's regret and chagrin.
    Put me down as liking it as well then and now . It's quirky .

According to the notes to TCMS-1969, Diana Ross was never fond of the lyrics to "I'm Livin' In Shame" [[since she stayed close to her Mom unlike the protagonist of "Shame"). Also they said that The Supremes never did the song in the their stage show [[so I guess it was only performed on TV).

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    According to the notes to TCMS-1969, Diana Ross was never fond of the lyrics to "I'm Livin' In Shame" [[since she stayed close to her Mom unlike the protagonist of "Shame"). Also they said that The Supremes never did the song in the their stage show [[so I guess it was only performed on TV).
    I've heard them doing the song during a Chicago show. But I ask heard they did only a few times and took it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    How is it you say that with such certainty Marv?

wiki , for one, disagrees with you:

Put me down as liking it as well then and now . It's quirky .

Boogiedown. God nor Moses wrote what you saw on "Wiki". Whoever wrote it probably meant to say that it [["I Livin In Shame") was the follow up to "Love Child". It doesn't mean the same thing. All anyone needs to do is listen to the lyrics of both songs. They do not relate! The person who wrote that in wiki was really stretching it to make it fit! LOL! He read somewhere that the song "I'm Living in Shame" was suppose to be a continuation of the song "Love Child", but it is not if you go by lyrical content.

Oh I am sure you could make "Home made jam" in a " tenement slum", but it is highly unlikely if you've ever been in one. Too small, stove,etc,etc. The jam thing is something you usually find in rural areas, especially in the Southern U.S. Tenement slums were a feature of urban America in the 1960s and beyond. In "Living in Shame", the writer even says that she lived in a HOUSE! LOL! I digress. My point is the songs have nothing to do with one another. "Love Child" is basically about teen pregnancy and a girl begging her boyfriend to let's wait before we go all the way and suffer the consequences. "I'm Living in Shame" is about a young woman ashamed of her poor background" that she's trying to run away and hide from.

Explain to me this. Is the young woman in "Love Child" the mother or the daughter in "I'm Living in Shame"? Think hard now. LOL!~

Motown Eddie, I also like to add that neither she or Mary ever do the song in their concerts. It would seem that if it were the "sequel" to Love Child, they would do the song.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I've heard them doing the song during a Chicago show. But I ask heard they did only a few times and took it out.
    I can remember one of my father's cousin's from Chicago playing the record a lot at the time.

It was in their live shows for a short time before it was taken out. Diana didn't like singing it so it was removed.

I always liked this song. The "homemade jam" lyric is corny, but some of the other lyrics are pretty deep. The track is solid and has a good melody. I like to think of this as their forgotten hit. A top 10 hit that never gets played on the radio anymore and hardly ever mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I always liked this song. The "homemade jam" lyric is corny, but some of the other lyrics are pretty deep. The track is solid and has a good melody. I like to think of this as their forgotten hit. A top 10 hit that never gets played on the radio anymore and hardly ever mentioned.
    It would fit nicely in our "Rarely Heard Tracks by Motown Artists " thread.

Whether or not "Shame" was the continuation of the "Love Child" story can only be addressed by the people who wrote it. [[For the record one can make jam anywhere. It is not a difficult thing to do, nor a difficult image to conjure up of a woman living in an inner city neighborhood doing so in the 1960s.) But it doesn't take a genius to know that Motown was hoping to repeat the success of "Love Child" with another "social commentary" song. The two songs are linked. Where "Quicksand" is the "Son of 'Heat Wave'" [[as it had been nicknamed), "Shame" is most certainly the daughter of "Love Child".

My opinion of the song is that it's not a bad song, but I hate it. Probably the one Supremes A side of a single that I really can't stand to hear. I'm not surprised that it didn't equal "Love Child"'s success, but I am surprised it did as well as it did. A couple of those DRATS "flop" singles were much better than "Shame" to my ears. Surprisingly I can listen to the original unreleased [[at the time) version and think that "Shame" might have inched a little further if the label had gone with it instead of the eventual single version.

All record companies try to follow up a hit with a sound alike or something similar to the hit. It's called chasing a formula. Those songs to do not have anything in common with one another even though they were written by the same people! Enough people liked "I'm Living In Shame" [[including Berry Gordy) to drive it into the Top 10.

PS, You can spit anywhere too, but you would have been hard press to find a woman making jam in a tenement apartment. You would have to grow your own food, fruits etc to can them and that was not possible in tenement slums! Hence, NO HOMEMADE JAM! LOL!!! There is just no physical room/space for that. Must have been a luxury tenement slum. LOL!!!
    Last edited by marv2; 07-23-2017 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    ...[[For the record one can make jam anywhere. It is not a difficult thing to do, nor a difficult image to conjure up of a woman living in an inner city neighborhood doing so in the 1960s.)
    True. In our family of six, my mom made home made jam in the small four room apartment that we lived in. When my parents were able to buy their own home [[thanks to my dad working two jobs) my mom continued to make home made jam and lots of other things from scratch.

Today, moms work outside the home and everyone does take out

PS, You can spit anywhere too, but you would have been hard press to find a woman making jam in a tenement apartment. You would have to grow your own food, fruits etc to can them and that was not possible in tenement slums! Hence, NO HOMEMADE JAM! LOL!!! There is just no physical room/space for that. Must have been a luxury tenement slum. LOL!!!
    You do not have to grow your own food and fruits in order to can or make jam. That's not even up for debate.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    True. In our family of six, my mom made home made jam in the small four room apartment that we lived in. When my parents were able to buy their own home [[thanks to my dad working two jobs) my mom continued to make home made jam and lots of other things from scratch.

Thanks Milven. This is what I know.

Enough people liked "I'm Living In Shame" [[including Berry Gordy) to drive it into the Top 10.
    There's no accounting for taste.

You do not have to grow your own food and fruits in order to can or make jam. That's not even up for debate.
    Um, where do you get the stuff to go in the jar if you are poor and live in an low income neighborhood?

A bunch of grown ups argueing over where and how and what space you need to make homemade jam. LOLOLOL.

There's no accounting for taste.
    I hate doing this, but you just said:

"Everyone is entitled to their preference. No one can dictate what another person hears or feels when listening to any given singer"....

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post

You guys had 4 separate rooms? In the Bronx that would be considered a mini-mansion. LOL!
    Last edited by marv2; 07-23-2017 at 11:28 PM.

Um, where do you get the stuff to go in the jar if you are poor and live in an low income neighborhood?
    The stuff to go in the jar? You mean like fruits and veggies? That stuff? Marv I can't with you on this Sunday evening. Stop. Just stop. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    A bunch of grown ups argueing over where and how and what space you need to make homemade jam. LOLOLOL.
    Hey Roberta, this is a more mature argument than "my Supreme is better than your Supreme", which seems to dominate "adult" conversations around here.

I hate doing this, but you just said:

"Everyone is entitled to their preference. No one can dictate what another person hears or feels when listening to any given singer"....
    Mmm hmmm. And the emoji at the end of my statement with the tongue sticking out was supposed to convey to the overly sensitive that I was joking. Although to be fair, the term "there's no accounting for taste" simply means that one can not explain why one person digs something while someone else can't stand it. I'm surprised the song was a hit and you countered with a lot of people liking it, including Berry Gordy. In actuality my comment about preferences that you reposted works in conjunction with my "no accounting for taste" comment, not against it. So in the end I'm glad that you brought it up. There is no accounting for why you apparently like this crappy song, while I abhor it.

Hey Roberta, this is a more mature argument than "my Supreme is better than your Supreme", which seems to dominate "adult" conversations around here.
    Oh disagreing about where ya'll make jam sure beats Diane is vile and Mary walks on water or Mary is horrible and Diane is a Saint. LOL

Mmm hmmm. And the emoji at the end of my statement with the tongue sticking out was supposed to convey to the overly sensitive that I was joking. Although to be fair, the term "there's no accounting for taste" simply means that one can not explain why one person digs something while someone else can't stand it. I'm surprised the song was a hit and you countered with a lot of people liking it, including Berry Gordy. In actuality my comment about preferences that you reposted works in conjunction with my "no accounting for taste" comment, not against it. So in the end I'm glad that you brought it up. There is no accounting for why you apparently like this crappy song, while I abhor it.
    You were joking? I'm sorry. I did not notice the emoji. Never mind........LOL!!!
    Last edited by marv2; 07-23-2017 at 08:38 PM. Reason: not

The stuff to go in the jar? You mean like fruits and veggies? That stuff? Marv I can't with you on this Sunday evening. Stop. Just stop. LOL
    Oh you know what I'm sayin......... My mother's mother was big into canning and making homemade things like cakes and pies. My mother could not be bothered even though she had a considerably larger house and kitchen. She was a 70s mom LOL!!!!

Oh my... wow... this thread...

I didn't realise the process of making homemade jam could be so controversial... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Oh my... wow... this thread...

I didn't realise the process of making homemade jam could be so controversial... LOL
    It is when you try to take it from the rural areas to an urban tenement. LOL! You see if you are going to try making homemade jam in the city, you have to go buy the fruits, the stuff that jells it, the jars, tops etc. If you have money to spend on all of that, you might as well by jar of Smuckers! LOL!!!!! Y'all kill me! LOL!

My mom use to can and in the 60's to be exact. Use old jars from food already purchased and canning fruit and jams would last all winter into the next summer whereas one jar from the grocery would be gone in about a week. Fresh fruit was cheap then and still is today, just bought a bushel of bananas for $1.21 and they will probably be have rotten by the middle of the week. If I canned them they could last until next summer. Those are short lessons from the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    my mom use to can and in the 60's to be exact. Use old jars from food already purchased and canning fruit and jams would last all winter into the next summer whereas one jar from the grocery would be gone in about a week. Fresh fruit was cheap then and still is today, just bought a bushel of bananas for $1.21 and they will probably be have rotten by the middle of the week. If i canned them they could last until next summer. Those are short lessons from the hood.
    lol!!!!!!!!!!!

I may be in the minority but i always liked ILIS and it does still get the occasional play on UK radio. I heard it on Ken Bruce's radio 2 show a few months back.
    Whoever said that Diana did not like the song is correct. I asked her to consider it for inclusion in the Return To Love tour. Her response was short and to the point!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I may be in the minority but i always liked ILIS and it does still get the occasional play on UK radio. I heard it on Ken Bruce's radio 2 show a few months back.
    Whoever said that Diana did not like the song is correct. I asked her to consider it for inclusion in the Return To Love tour. Her response was short and to the point!!
    I like the song and the old gold dress to. I love the way she phrases.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Oh disagreing about where ya'll make jam sure beats Diane is vile and Mary walks on water or Mary is horrible and Diane is a Saint. LOL
    I could not agree more!!! Next, the debate should turn to “dirty raggedy old scarves” and whether or not they should be worn “around the head”.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    I like the song and the old gold dress to. I love the way she phrases.
    Yeah, looks like the same gowns that were worn on the cover of "Right On". I have seen solo shots from 1970 with Diana wearing the same gown. Always, wondered if an extra gown was cut or not.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Yeah, looks like the same gowns that were worn on the cover of "Right On". I have seen solo shots from 1970 with Diana wearing the same gown. Always, wondered if an extra gown was cut or not.
    I think the solo shots of her wearing Supremes gowns were from photo sessions done before she left the group.

You may be right but the photos I have say they were shot in 1970.

Marv, you are correct: ILIS was a follow-up that Berry wanted to be similar - not a sequel - which it cannot be since the characters are not the same.

Marv, you are wrong: Most people who can and make jam do not grow their own.

ILIS, was a weak top ten being there just one week. It was released with two platinum singles on the charts by DR&TS, so, naturally radio was all over it. Once sales did not meet airplay, it died a quick death.

All record companies try to follow up a hit with a sound alike or something similar to the hit. It's called chasing a formula. Those songs to do not have anything in common with one another even though they were written by the same people! Enough people liked "I'm Living In Shame" [[including Berry Gordy) to drive it into the Top 10, but I liked it enough.

I SAW them sing it at Keil Opera House in Feb 1969 and Diana said it was the story based on Imitation Of Life - "but not MY life.... not MY mother!!!"