[REMOVE ADS]

Aretha, the remake queen

I've been having an Aretha moment lately [[translation playing a lot of her old music on a very regular basis) Over the past few weeks I've had these moments with Miki Howard and The Emotions. I've noticed that she has remade a lot of songs. Not only the Dinah Washington tribute album [[all remakes), several blues and jazz classics during her Columbia years and gospel standards on "Amazing Grace" and previous gospel recordings. Here are some of the songs that I can think of that she has remade but she's always managed to Aretharize them [[translation, put her own stank on them...lol...Here are some that I can think of:

Respect
    Eleanor Rigby
    96 Tears
    Going Down Slow
    You're All I Need To Get By
    You Keep Me Hanging On
    Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing
    Wholly Holy
    A Song For You
    I'm In Love
    Bridge Over Troubled Water
    You Are My Sunshine
    Never Let Me Go
    Let Me In Your Life
    Satisfaction
    Hold On I'm Comin
    It's My Turn
    You Can't Always Get What You Want
    I Wish It Would Rain
    It's Your Thing

Can you think of others

One of my favorites first recorded by Bobby Blue Bland and written by the late great Al "TNT" Braggs

Share Your Love With Me

T.L. Harris

That's the only thing that's kept me from really enjoying Aretha's entire catalogue. In my opinion, there are too many remakes and not enough original material.

Now don't get me wrong, she's the Queen of Soul for sure, but I just wish she had better songwriters [[or more time with the guys from Muscle Shoals).

It's late, so my brain isn't working at full speed, but two more that come to mind are You Send Me and Spanish Harlem. I'm sure I'll think of more later.

Skylark
    People Get Ready
    Soul Seranade
    A Change Is Gonna Come
    Good Times
    Drown In my Own Tears
    My Way
    Night Time Is The Right Time
    See Saw
    Taking Up Another Man's Place
    Walk On By
    Every Little Bit Hurts
    A Brand New Me [[doesn't sound anything like Philly Soul, lol)
    Make It With You
    I Say A Little Prayer
    That's The Way I Feel About Cha
    Let It Be
    Young, Gifted & Black
    Break It To Me Gently
    Mockingbird

...and many more

You'll Lose A Good Thing
    The Weight

This Girl's In Love With You
    Dark End Of The Street
    Didn't I [[Blow Your Mind This Time)
    It's Just A Matter Of Time
    I Apologize
    Last edited by sunshineonacloudyday; 01-24-2011 at 03:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spinningsoul View Post
    That's the only thing that's kept me from really enjoying Aretha's entire catalogue. In my opinion, there are too many remakes and not enough original material.

Now don't get me wrong, she's the Queen of Soul for sure, but I just wish she had better songwriters [[or more time with the guys from Muscle Shoals).

It's late, so my brain isn't working at full speed, but two more that come to mind are You Send Me and Spanish Harlem. I'm sure I'll think of more later.
    I can agree with you to a degree on the remake issue ,but that [[the Arethaterpertations ,rather than calling them remakes) is part of the mystique that is Aretha. I would have also liked to see more of her doing original songs ,not only written by her ,but also more collaborations such as the Curtis Mayfield production of Sparkle and her work with Luther.
    Her "Spirit In The Dark" track with Ray Charles, especially the unedited version is a masterpiece. I often wonder how she would sound if she had other collaborations with Curtis ,Ray ,Smokey and Sam Cooke. "Mary Don't You Weep" is the gospel track of hers that stands out for me.

Ray & Aretha were a great match. My dream duet with Aretha would have been her label mate at Atlantic, Ben E. King. For some reason I always thought their voices would have complimented one another nicely.

I have always wanted to hear a duet with Aretha and Dennis Edwards. I think they would be a perfect match.

I have a similar problem with so many remakes by Aretha. However, she does tend to put her own stamp on them..on most occasions.

There was another Delfonics track that I seem to recall..was it "When You Get Right Down To It".....I think it was on the flip side of one of her UK 45's. If I recall correctly it has a most beautiful string arangement.
    Last edited by theboyfromxtown; 01-24-2011 at 04:55 AM.

uptight Guest
    Also "The House That Jack Built" and "Everchanging Times."

Uptight

Who did "The House That Jack Built" before Aretha?

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Uptight

Who did "The House That Jack Built" before Aretha?
    Thelma Jones
    http://www.soulwalking.co.uk/Thelma%20Jones.html

smark21 Guest
    I'll add Jumpin Jack Flash and Pride [[A Deeper Love) to the list.

I've always liked Aretha's version of Stevie Wonders' "Until You Come Back to Me".

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    I have always wanted to hear a duet with Aretha and Dennis Edwards. I think they would be a perfect match.

I have a similar problem with so many remakes by Aretha. However, she does tend to put her own stamp on them..on most occasions.

There was another Delfonics track that I seem to recall..was it "When You Get Right Down To It".....I think it was on the flip side of one of her UK 45's. If I recall correctly it has a most beautiful string arangement.
    We would surely be blessed to have Rere and Dennis record together - I say do a whole album.

I never had a problem with Aretha doing so many remakes. Once she tackles a song, it becomes such a personal interpretation that its almost as if she wrote the song anyway. In all honesty, I never knew many of the songs were indeed remakes because I never heard the original. It was many years before I realized she wasn't the first to do THE HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT or SON OF A PREACHER MAN among many others. But up until probably the mid-70s, most of her albums were full of remakes. In most cases, more remakes than originals.

More Aretha covers - Everyday People
    The Long And Winding Road
    The Christmas Song
    My Guy
    Gentle On My Mind
    My Cup Runneth Over
    Talk To Me
    The Shoop Shoop Song
    God Bless the Child
    The SHA-LA Bandit
    How Glad I Am
    Night Life
    Bring It On Home
    Elusive Butterfly
    If You Gotta Make A Fool Of Somebody
    River's Invitation
    Someday We'll All Be Free
    Crazy He Calls Me
    Oh Me Oh My [[I'm A Fool For You)
    Somewhere
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 01-24-2011 at 01:57 PM.

Thanks Nabob

Once Aretha covers a song it's her's forever lol that's the case with many she did cover.

Two of my favorite covers she did in the last 20 years were "Someday We'll All Be Free" [[I think even Donny would've been proud of her interpretation since she took that song to CHURCH in the beginning and the end) and "Ever Changing Times" with Michael McDonald [[originally done by Siedah Garrett but wasn't even a big hit for Siedah).

RossHolloway Guest
    I personally don't mind all the remakes, I think it was fairly common practice back in the '60s and early 1970's by many artists. One of my favorites is her version of Tracks of My Tears. She really does make it her own.

smark21 Guest
    In certain respects Aretha is in the tradition and comes from the same approach to songs that Sinatra, Ella, Billie Holliday and others--they did remakes, but their artistry came from how they interpreted the song and made the songs their own.

Rossi, agreed on common practice. The "singer-songwriter" thing really got going in the 70s. Up until that point, singers covered songs written by others. Let me ask the people who are disappointed that she didn't write more this: Do you dislike Frank Sinatra, Booby Bland, Johnnie Taylor, Johnny Adams,...? I could go on and on. My favorite singers are just that:singers. Just give them a good song and let them go with it. I'd rather hear someone sing a good song that someone else wrote than a shit song that they wrote.

Nobody ever did remakes like the queen,she takes a song and makes it her own while being totally respectful to the original...these so-called singers today could learn something from her majesty the queen.