[REMOVE ADS]

Stop In the Name of Love

Back in 2014, among the top finalists on America's Got Talent were a group of talented young men [[vocal, harp, cello, keyboard) who did amazing covers of what some would call middle of the road popular music. Sons of Serendip, since that time, continue to tour and release beautiful recordings with their latest project, "Life + Love" being released a few days ago.

Their latest project contains a quite different interpretation of "Stop In the Name of Love." Unless one appreciates reflective arrangements, as I do, one may deem this too "syrupy." I have purchased this latest cd via iTunes [[as I have their others), and I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3-JaULXS44
    Last edited by jobucats; 07-15-2017 at 07:11 PM.

The Supremes version of this song is my supreme favorite. It makes me tap my feet; I'd dance to it but I do not relish a trip to the hospital!

The above version sorta makes me wanna tear up; the arrangement emotionally affects me in a different way than the Supremes version. In short, I like the Sons of Serendip's version.

On their previous cd, they did a version of Whitney Houston's "How Will I Know" that was also very somber and could draw the tears.

Just lovely. Very moving interpretation. Thanks!

This just doesn't work for me. Kim Weston did a slow, bluesy rendition of this song. Much as I love Kim her version doesn't work either.

There is an urgency to the lyrics. It's kinda like STOP RIGHT NOW, therefore it works better uptempo

I think the Hollies covered this song back in the late 70s and gave it an uptempo rock feel. Theirs works a little better, but this, like Baby Love, is a Diana Ross song. Best to leave it that way.

I like new interpretations of classic songs. I would rather hear someone reconsider the song and reinterpret than do a straight up cover. I mean, what's the point when you have the original that usually cannot be bettered. That's on of the reasons I loved the reinterpreted first versions of
    Heatwave & It's The Same Old Song on the expanded Supremes A Go Go. Those versions fit them much better that the straight up covers did. I really enjoyed this Songs Of Serendip version, which is looking to achieve a very different emotional response than the original Supremes version. Good on them!

And, I would very much disagree that Kim Weston's version of this song doesn't work. I think it works on a different emotional level and is quite wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I like new interpretations of classic songs. I would rather hear someone reconsider the song and reinterpret than do a straight up cover. I mean, what's the point when you have the original that usually cannot be bettered. That's on of the reasons I loved the reinterpreted first versions of
    Heatwave & It's The Same Old Song on the expanded Supremes A Go Go. Those versions fit them much better that the straight up covers did. I really enjoyed this Songs Of Serendip version, which is looking to achieve a very different emotional response than the original Supremes version. Good on them!

And, I would very much disagree that Kim Weston's version of this song doesn't work. I think it works on a different emotional level and is quite wonderful.
    My sentiments exactly, thommg; the fellas did a lovely job with this re-thinking, IMHO.

The Sons Of Serendip's version of "Stop" seriously tugged at my heartstrings. It's romantic, fallin'-in-love music, for sure. I love it!