[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Miss Laura Lee!

Miss Laura Lee!

Can't hear this one enough -

She never recorded for Motown and this is not a Motown song.

Laura's a certified beast! Thanks for this favorite of mine as well.

[[To be fair, Marv, Laura did record for Ric-Tic, which, since it was acquired by Motown, makes her a suitable inclusion herein IMHO.)
    Last edited by sansradio; 07-13-2017 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post

[[To be fair, Marv, Laura did record for Ric-Tic, which, since it was acquired by Motown, makes her a suitable inclusion herein IMHO.)
    Well of course! And remember she's produced by HDH. I love LL's cover of 'Every Little Bit Hurts'

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post

I know she recorded for Ric-Tic, which is still not Motown. Mr. Gordy paid $1 million for the signature of many of the label's artists, but Laura was not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Well of course! And remember she's produced by HDH. I love LL's cover of 'Every Little Bit Hurts'
    She is not a Motown artist.

The Detroit Emeralds recorded for Ric-Tic also, but they were never Motown artists.

"I Need It Just As Bad As You" is irresistible. She merits legendary status just based on that one track.

https://youtu.be/ZpBN7OfqUOI

Has it been discussed on here that Scherrie Payne has released a cover version of Laura's "Crumbs off the Table?" I heard a few seconds and it sounded pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Has it been discussed on here that Scherrie Payne has released a cover version of Laura's "Crumbs off the Table?" I heard a few seconds and it sounded pretty good.
    It has, and it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    "I Need It Just As Bad As You" is irresistible. She merits legendary status just based on that one track.

https://youtu.be/ZpBN7OfqUOI
    Agreed. Lee was an early pioneer of the women's lib movement, which I think may have cost her a bit of airplay.

Miss Scherrie Payne WROTE "Crumbs Off The Table" and recorded it with Glass House before Lee. Payne's version is the original not a cover. Laura sings the hell out of it but it is Scherrie's song.

Miss Scherrie Payne WROTE "Crumbs Off The Table" and recorded it with Glass House before Lee. Payne's version is the original not a cover. Laura sings the hell out of it but it is Scherrie's song.
    Certainly is! But I think the cover being referred to is a more recent one, and I believe that recent Scherrie solo version has also been posted here.

In fact there are 2 versions of Crumbs Off The Table by Laura Lee.

Miss Scherrie Payne WROTE "Crumbs Off The Table"...
    Checking the label on the Glass House single, I see that it's credited only to Dunbar & Wayne [[HDH's pseudonym to avoid lawsuits from Motown, as I understood it). If Scherrie, in fact, was also a writer, why was she not credited on that version?

Last edited by BigAl; 07-14-2017 at 06:47 PM.

She's credited as writer on Laura Lee's single. Ms. Payne has also said that she wrote the song. Music industry politics being what they were back in those days it is certainly possible that the young black girl singer was not initially credited as the songwriter.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Guy; 07-14-2017 at 07:50 PM.

Other than the information any of us can find on the interweb does anyone know anything about Lee's life after HDH?

As always I learn so much from you guys! I had no idea that Scherrie had any prior connection to the song and I therefore assumed that the memo I just saw was about a brand new remake. Great song any way you slice it.

As always I learn so much from you guys! I had no idea that Scherrie had any prior connection to the song and I therefore assumed that the memo I just saw was about a brand new remake. Great song any way you slice it.
    It has been stated in a number of interviews/articles over the years that Scherrie Payne was indeed co-writer of 'Crumbs Off The Table'. The original version by Glass House was on the album 'Inside The Glass House' and Scherrie also co-wrote two other tracks on the album, namely 'Hotel' and 'Heaven Is There To Guide Us'.

The dance remake can be found on Scherrie's most recent cd 'Vintage Scherrie'.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I know she recorded for Ric-Tic, which is still not Motown. Mr. Gordy paid $1 million for the signature of many of the label's artists, but Laura was not one of them.
    Laura Lee's Ric Tic recording of "To Win Your Heart" was only ever issued in the UK on Tamla Motown; so as far as the UK is concerned, she was a Motown artist.

Personally, I'm quite relaxed about Ric Tic/ Golden World, HDH's Invictus/ Hot Wax, and maybe even the Whitfield label being discussed in the Motown Forum. Maybe SDF members should have a vote on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Laura Lee's Ric Tic recording of "To Win Your Heart" was only ever issued in the UK on Tamla Motown; so as far as the UK is concerned, she was a Motown artist.

Personally, I'm quite relaxed about Ric Tic/ Golden World, HDH's Invictus/ Hot Wax, and maybe even the Whitfield label being discussed in the Motown Forum. Maybe SDF members should have a vote on the subject.
    Of course this belongs on the Motown forum, with the HDH connection! Thanks for your opinion. I believe there is a moderator of the forum who can make these tremendous decisions of world importance ! Do you have a Laura Lee favorite song? Would love to hear -

Yes, a real killer - I'll have to look up Scherrie's other writing credits. She created a classic with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Of course this belongs on the Motown forum, with the HDH connection! Thanks for your opinion. I believe there is a moderator of the forum who can make these tremendous decisions of world importance ! Do you have a Laura Lee favorite song? Would love to hear -
    On Chess I particularly like "It's How You Make It Good". On Hot Wax, my favourite single is "Rip Off" and album track her version of "Since I Fell For You".