[REMOVE ADS]

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Here's another one from Mary Wilson's debut solo album." I Love A Warm Summer Night"

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Here's another one from Mary Wilson's debut solo album." I Love A Warm Summer Night"

I actually like this track. Nice job Mary.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Absolutely agree. They all worked their butts off. Florence got grief for having a bad flu yet Diana collapsed and couldnt do the shows and didn't get grief. The PR machine was in full swing. It's amazing those women could keep the schedule they did. Wanda was stuggling big time long before the Return of the Marvelettes album
    . Didn't Mary stick up for Diane when she collapsed onstage?

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    . Didn't Mary stick up for Diane when she collapsed onstage?
    Mary stood for her and just about every lady that has been in the Supremes starting back when they wrecked Berry's car in Pittsburgh way before they ever had a hit. If you watch the video on here of Mary in the Twin Cities, she explains what she's done for Diana Ross. Some people regurgitate the story of Diana loaning Mary $30,000 in 1981 [[which she paid back in less than a year with interest) but they never even imagine what Mary and Florence also done for Ross. Watch that video to learn more.

Let's be accurate here. There was not much rehearsal Diana had to do herself. All she was responsible for was standing in front of the mic and not forgetting the words to the songs. She, herself went over Cholly Atkins' head to Mr. Gordy and complained that she did not want to have to learn all those steps, the choreography. She said she'd make up her own! Go look at any of those old video clips. It is very rare that Diana Ross is doing the choreography while singing. Now if she had to rehearse harder, that tells me that she needed it! She needed extra work when it came to her appearance and manners too, which how she ended up at the Robert Powers School in Detroit!
    Yes.Let us be accurate here. Whatever you think of Diana her work ethic could not be faulted . Don't forget that during the day whilst Mary was "sleeping off" the excesses of her partying Diana was in the studio recording more songs, and the she had to perform the songs live later that evening. Mary did not even need to learn the lyrics to the songs. Mary could party into the wee small hours knowing she did not have to get out of her or someone elses bed until mid afternoon , so don't try and tell me she worked anywhere near as hard as Diana. She was paid the same amount of money for doing a fraction of the work.She was one lucky lady in many respects. If the Supremes did a bad show it would be all down to Diana and no=one would even think about blaming Mary such was her insignificance to the proceedings. Mary told me only 4 weeks ago that she was amazed that Diana didn't become seriously ill due to all her hard work. Smokey said Diana was always the first to arrive in the studio and the last to leave during the Supremes early years so please stop spouting your nonsense.

honest man Guest
    Let's be accurate here. There was not much rehearsal Diana had to do herself. All she was responsible for was standing in front of the mic and not forgetting the words to the songs. She, herself went over Cholly Atkins' head to Mr. Gordy and complained that she did not want to have to learn all those steps, the choreography. She said she'd make up her own! Go look at any of those old video clips. It is very rare that Diana Ross is doing the choreography while singing. Now if she had to rehearse harder, that tells me that she needed it! She needed extra work when it came to her appearance and manners too, which how she ended up at the Robert Powers School in Detroit!
    WOW you really do talk such S--T.sick of some of the knob and Bell--- Posts on here.total crap.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    WOW you really do talk such S--T.sick of some of the knob and Bell--- Posts on here.total crap.
    You aren't exactly mr unbias yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Yes.Let us be accurate here. Whatever you think of Diana her work ethic could not be faulted . Don't forget that during the day whilst Mary was "sleeping off" the excesses of her partying Diana was in the studio recording more songs, and the she had to perform the songs live later that evening. Mary did not even need to learn the lyrics to the songs. Mary could party into the wee small hours knowing she did not have to get out of her or someone elses bed until mid afternoon , so don't try and tell me she worked anywhere near as hard as Diana. She was paid the same amount of money for doing a fraction of the work.She was one lucky lady in many respects. If the Supremes did a bad show it would be all down to Diana and no=one would even think about blaming Mary such was her insignificance to the proceedings. Mary told me only 4 weeks ago that she was amazed that Diana didn't become seriously ill due to all her hard work. Smokey said Diana was always the first to arrive in the studio and the last to leave during the Supremes early years so please stop spouting your nonsense.
    Let me ask, whom relayed this information to you

I'll reiterate: all the books and interviews I've seen where Diana's Motown peers speak about her, most make mention of how hard she worked. No one says a word- specifically- about Flo and Mary. And again, that doesn't mean they were not hard workers. Any fool can see how hard they worked and that their hard work was an important component to the success of the group. But it doesn't take a genius to know that the front person for any group [[like a Diana Ross or Michael Jackson) is going to get the brunt of the work and the pressure. That is actually the case on any job. As fans who did not work with Diana Ross or the Supremes we can debate this all day with our only evidence being the finished product that we see and hear in their shows and television performances. But if I want a first person account of Diana Ross' work ethic I'll review the words of her peers who were actually around at the time. I trust their recollections. I don't always trust the opinions I read on Soulful Detroit.

Ran love your perspective on things.

John G. Stumpf Guest
    Hello Bluebrock! First I want to let you know that I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts on Diana Ross. How lucky can this forum get to have someone who worked with her? My Uncle worked at EMI/ Capitol UK about the same time you worked there, 1980 -1999. He told me to ask you your name because he obviously knows you. He is going to send some photos taken at various parties so I can upload them. Specifically, he has the ones from the party EMI threw to celebrate Diana's One Woman Collection. I am so excited!! I know this is going to bring so many cherished memories!
    Last edited by John G. Stumpf; 07-26-2017 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Ran love your perspective on things.
    I appreciate that BG!

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I appreciate that BG!
    You're welcome. I do enjoy stories about the girls. But its kinda hard to swallow petty stories that get flung around by those who weren't there and got the story second or third parties removed.

"I've Got What You Need" from the album "Mary Wilson"

You're welcome. I do enjoy stories about the girls. But its kinda hard to swallow petty stories that get flung around by those who weren't there and got the story second or third parties removed.
    Agreed, and may I add sometimes the stories aren't second or third party at all, but instead are figments of someone's warped imagination that they wish to pass off as truth. The saddest part is that because of the anonymity that the internet provides, as well as the lack of participation by people who were actually around at the time, it can be very difficult to decipher what's truth from fiction. And especially in the case of the Supremes it does them all a disservice.

I miss so much on holiday.... but I did pick up the "her or someone else's bed" - lol, bad bad bad, but funny and I guess true

Quote Originally Posted by John G. Stumpf View Post
    Hello Bluebrock! First I want to let you know that I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts on Diana Ross. How lucky can this forum get to have someone who worked with her? My Uncle worked at EMI/ Capitol UK about the same time you worked there, 1980 -1999. He told me to ask you your name because he obviously knows you. He is going to send some photos taken at various parties so I can upload them. Specifically, he has the ones from the party EMI threw to celebrate Diana's One Woman Collection. I am so excited!! I know this is going to bring so many cherished memories!
    Sounds good!! Please inbox me.

Let me ask, whom relayed this information to you
    Any specific part blackguy69?

Any specific part blackguy69?
    All of what you written

thanks Bluebrock for the info.
    also love War Summer Night .this should have been a single . best track on the lp.
    also isn't his lp coming to cd in the near future

John G. Stumpf Guest
    Sounds good!! Please inbox me.
    I'm sorry Bluebrock. I plan to share them with the entire forum not just you personally. My Uncle won't act until you give me your name and he can check it on the directory. Sorry for the confusion. My Uncle is very cynical and doesn't trust anyone. He wants to make sure that you are not a fraud or a con artist. Thanks again. If I post them you won't be anonymous anymore so you can just tell me in the forum. Sorry again for any confusion and keep up the great posts!
    Last edited by John G. Stumpf; 07-28-2017 at 06:49 PM.

It's about time the truth be told about those unmotivated party girls. Miss Diana Ross complained that that silly lazy Birdsong woman never wanted to be in the studio recording and poor Diana had to do all the work. I have been told that Cindy told BG personally she hated to sing and wanted those Andanties on all records. [[Everyone knows that silly Cindy woman should have gotten down to 90lbs and not eat or sleep and be very nasty to people. The nerve of her! )And that Mary woman... dont get me started. She and that other woman Flo told BG and DR to never ever let them sing a lead and to get those Andanties on records as they did NOT want to get out of bed!! Why any of these ladies became singers remains a mystery to this day! They did not want to feel valued on records and certainly not get appreciation in public for their singing and definitely not feel that they were contributing!!' In fact that silly Flo girl had walking pneumonia and actually she just didn't want to sing her one lead so she begged Diana to please sing it always!! And do you know that Mary girl actually asked for a two week delay to record That Love Child song cause she felt exhausted and her friend Flo was gone and she probably was scared cause she was being reduced to a background singer !!' What nerve!! More to come. It's time to tell it all!!!
    Last edited by luke; 07-28-2017 at 09:55 PM.

I'm sorry Bluebrock. I plan to share them with the entire forum not just you personally. My Uncle won't act until you give me your name and he can check it on the directory. Sorry for the confusion. My Uncle is very cynical and doesn't trust anyone. He wants to make sure that you are not a fraud or a con artist. Thanks again. If I post them you won't be anonymous anymore so you can just tell me in the forum. Sorry again for any confusion and keep up the great posts!
    I cannot wait to see these photos. Bluerock should be able to add his commentary to add some color to the photos. Hopefully Bluerock complies.

It's about time the truth be told about those unmotivated party girls. Miss Diana Ross complained that that silly lazy Birdsong woman never wanted to be in the studio recording and poor Diana had to do all the work. I have been told that Cindy told BG personally she hated to sing and wanted those Andanties on all records. [[Everyone knows that silly Cindy woman should have gotten down to 90lbs and not eat or sleep and be very nasty to people. The nerve of her! )And that Mary woman... dont get me started. She and that other woman Flo told BG and DR to never ever let them sing a lead and to please tell get those Andanties on records as they did NOT want to get out of bed!! Why any of these ladies became singers remains a mystery to this day! They did not want to feel valued on records and certainly not get appreciation in public for their singing and definitely not feel that they were contributing!!' In fact that silly Flo girl had walking pneumonia and actually she just didn't want to sing her one lead so she begged Diana to please sing it always!! And do you know that Mary girl actually asked for a two week delay to record That Love Child song cause she felt exhausted and her friend Flo was gone and she probably was scared cause she was being reduced to a background singer !!' What nerve!! More to come. It's time to tell it all!!!
    That just about sums it up! That is what a handful of people want to believe.

Exactly when it's down in black and white the absurdity is so obvious!

I cannot wait to see these photos. Bluerock should be able to add his commentary to add some color to the photos. Hopefully Bluerock complies.
    What photos? I like photos.

Exactly when it's down in black and white the absurdity is so obvious!
    Mary would even get a big laugh out what you wrote. LOL! When urban myths get out there and spread around it can be pretty powerful. Still, it is just that........an urban myth.

I hope they don't think my post was serious...they just might. Facetious, kids!

I hope they don't think my post was serious...they just might. Facetious, kids!
    You know, at this point in time who cares if they don't get it. Some here were just too young or not even born to remember the Original Supremes when they were at their peak. They just make up things to add to what they read somewhere that was written decades after the fact.
    Last edited by marv2; 07-28-2017 at 11:46 PM.

You know, at this point in time who cares if they don't get it. Some here were just too young or not even born to remember the Original Supremes where they at their peak. They just make up things to add to what they read somewhere that was written decades after the fact.
    Well to be fair Marv, there are individuals who do remember the Original grouping but make things up. Yes, even on this forum.

Can't rewrite history.

Well to be fair Marv, there are individuals who do remember the Original grouping but make things up. Yes, even on this forum.
    Ok I can go with that. What I can't go with is when they start painting scenarios with dialog that was supposedly spoken by the subjects 40-50 years ago. For example stuff like "Berry was determined to get a hit and would stop at nothing to get it, so he ran over his mother who was standing in the way of him getting hits on one of his artists" You know, shit like that! LOL! That is a bit exaggerated but you know what I mean.

Ok I can go with that. What I can't go with is when they start painting scenarios with dialog that was supposedly spoken by the subjects 40-50 years ago. For example stuff like "Berry was determined to get a hit and would stop at nothing to get it, so he ran over his mother who was standing in the way of him getting hits on one of his artists" You know, shit like that! LOL! That is a bit exaggerated but you know what I mean.
    Point well made! Good example!

John G. Stumpf Guest
    You will never see the photos. He refuses to reveal his identity, which I don't understand if you work in the music industry and have an upcoming book - you are a public figure. I don't understand this at all. I will not mention anything about this again in this forum. My Uncle has already drawn his own conclusions. Con men, frauds, and imposters are rampant in the industry. I do respect everyone's need for privacy.
    Last edited by John G. Stumpf; 07-29-2017 at 04:15 AM.

You will never see the photos. He refuses to reveal his identity, which I don't understand if you work in the music industry and have an upcoming book - you are a public figure. I don't understand this at all. I will not mention anything about this again in this forum. My Uncle has already drawn his own conclusions. " I will not give my pearls to swine!" Con men, frauds, and imposters are rampant in the industry. I do respect everyone's need for privacy.
    I don't understand why you and your uncle needs Bluebrocks identity so you can share some photos! You are sounding more like a con man or fraud. I don't get it?? I enjoy Bluebrocks posts and love the information he shares with us.
    Last edited by vgalindo; 07-29-2017 at 03:35 AM.

John G. Stumpf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I don't understand why you and your uncle needs Bluebrocks identity so you can share some photos! You are sounding more like a con man or fraud. I don't get it?? I enjoy Bluebrocks posts and love the information he shares with us.

My Uncle is Robert Stumpf. He was forced out of EMI in in the late 90s CD price fixing scandal. Charges were levied in the range of 500 million. Bodies had to be delivered and he was one of them. In agreement, he was disbarred to avoid criminal charges. He has subsequently regained his law license and practices copyright law and contractual law.

If Bluebrock was actually an employee of the company, my Uncle said that he has a common law privilege to the photos which exonerates my Uncle from any possible liability, a legal technicality. I am not sure how the law works since I am not an attorney but I do know celebrities sue all the time over photos being used without their permission.

I love Bluebrock's posts and the information he shares with the forum.

Anyway the issue is moot because Bluebrock will not reveal his identity, and prefers the status of the anonymous internet music industry insider. Again, I respect everyone's need for privacy.

I am not anonymous nor is my Uncle.
    Last edited by John G. Stumpf; 07-29-2017 at 04:26 AM.

Hey John, I don't believe Bluebrock has out-and-out refused to reveal his identity... he hasn't yet said either way if he will or won't. He might not have checked into the forum for a day or two, you know...

IMO you're jumping to the conclusion that he is a con man way too quickly!!!! Lol
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 07-29-2017 at 04:35 AM.

John G. Stumpf Guest
    You and Vgalindo are jumping to conclusions. I am not concluding anything and I respect his need for privacy and his status of the forum's anonymous music industry insider. My Uncle is another story. He is just a cynical person because of his experiences. Bluebrock is not going to reveal his identity. He has out and out refused to do so. This has been presented to me. I respect his decision. I will not mention this again.
    Last edited by John G. Stumpf; 07-29-2017 at 04:49 AM.

You and Vgalindo are jumping to conclusions. I am not concluding anything and I respect his need for privacy and his status of the forum's anonymous music industry insider. My Uncle is another story. He is just a cynical person because of his experiences. Bluebrock is not going to reveal his identity. He has out and out refused to do so. This has been presented to me. I respect his decision. I will not mention this again.
    There have been many people the music industry and from Motown that have posted here at Soulful Detroit over the years and not one of them had a problem telling us who they were. That was the only way we knew who they were. There have been a long list of industry people that have been here to share with us.

John G. Stumpf Guest
    “Copyright” describes the rights given to creators for their literary and artistic works.

But we often don’t consider copyright when we look at our family photos, or go to get them copied. Even though it is so easy to copy an image—with scanners, photo-quality printers, and copy stations—it is still illegal.

Under the Federal Copyright Act of 1976, photographs are protected by copyright from the moment of creation.
    Photographers have the exclusive right to reproduce their photographs [[right to control the making of copies). Copyright
    Unless you have permission from the photographer, you can’t copy, distribute [[no scanning and sending them to others), publicly display [[no putting them online), or create derivative works from photographs.

In the contract, the photographer authorized release of the pictures to company employees. Thanks.

It's about time the truth be told about those unmotivated party girls. Miss Diana Ross complained that that silly lazy Birdsong woman never wanted to be in the studio recording and poor Diana had to do all the work. I have been told that Cindy told BG personally she hated to sing and wanted those Andanties on all records. [[Everyone knows that silly Cindy woman should have gotten down to 90lbs and not eat or sleep and be very nasty to people. The nerve of her! )And that Mary woman... dont get me started. She and that other woman Flo told BG and DR to never ever let them sing a lead and to get those Andanties on records as they did NOT want to get out of bed!! Why any of these ladies became singers remains a mystery to this day! They did not want to feel valued on records and certainly not get appreciation in public for their singing and definitely not feel that they were contributing!!' In fact that silly Flo girl had walking pneumonia and actually she just didn't want to sing her one lead so she begged Diana to please sing it always!! And do you know that Mary girl actually asked for a two week delay to record That Love Child song cause she felt exhausted and her friend Flo was gone and she probably was scared cause she was being reduced to a background singer !!' What nerve!! More to come. It's time to tell it all!!!
    The sarcasm in this post is so thick you could spread it on toast...LOL!!!

Oh thank goodness!lolol...

Who the fuck would trust anyone on Soulful Detroit with their personal information? This forum is rife with downright nasty exchanges between members, usually with Diana Ross and/or Mary Wilson as a subject. And while I enjoy Bluebrock's very specific recollections of Diana's post Motown solo career, he has proven to stoop just as low as so many others by hurling insults Mary Wilson's way. Why would he ever potentially pass on his info to someone who may desire to take their devotion to Ms. Wilson to a full blown psychotic episode? I know I wouldn't. And having joined only this month and 14 posts in and using words like "the forum's anonymous music industry insider", my bullshit radar is going off...LOUDLY. GTFOH with that bullshit.

John G. Stumpf Guest
    There have been many people the music industry and from Motown that have posted here at Soulful Detroit over the years and not one of them had a problem telling us who they were. That was the only way we knew who they were. There have been a long list of industry people that have been here to share with us.
    Hey Marv2 I enjoy your insights. It is true that a long list of industry insiders have shared here and they always identified themselves. Although your opinions are not always popular you are always on point, and a straight no chaser guy. I see George Solomon continues to share here intermittently. In fact, this forum used to be a source of reference for research on Motown.
    Last edited by John G. Stumpf; 07-30-2017 at 10:11 AM.

Someone is mad their plan didn't work. LOL I hope it didn't take you very long to come up with this ruse in the hopes of getting Bluebrock to reveal his legal name. It wasn't very clever. Any idiot could see what was going on here from the moment you mentioned this "uncle", "pictures" and needing Bluebrock's name, pleading with other members to prod him into passing along the information. I've taken the opportunity to alert our esteemed leader Ralph to this [[Yes, I'm the resident snitch.) and let him handle it- or not handle it- as he sees fit.

John G. Stumpf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveSupreme View Post
    The sarcasm in this post is so thick you could spread it on toast...LOL!!!
    Ha Ha. I just caught the sarcasm in that post.

Even if Mary and Cindy were not singing on the records they still had to sing all of those sings live, and they had a back breaking schedule.
    Last edited by John G. Stumpf; 07-30-2017 at 10:13 AM.

John G. Stumpf Guest
    Here Gloria Scott is performing with Mary. She is to the left of Mary:

Mary looks stunning in this video, a very striking lady.

Exactly John G and poor Flo hated to fly!! I remember noticing how pale she looked when she arrived in UK in '64.

John G. Stumpf Guest
    Exactly John G and poor Flo hated to fly!! I remember noticing how pale she looked when she arrived in UK in '64.
    I noticed that too. She looked really pale. I wonder how much of a toll all the flying took on her. I do a lot of flying on my job and I hate it.

Cindy and Mary always sang live whenever they performed on television and in concert. I always preferred their live vocals on the records they did not sing on to the Andantes.
    Last edited by John G. Stumpf; 07-30-2017 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Someone is mad their plan didn't work. LOL I hope it didn't take you very long to come up with this ruse in the hopes of getting Bluebrock to reveal his legal name. It wasn't very clever. Any idiot could see what was going on here from the moment you mentioned this "uncle", "pictures" and needing Bluebrock's name, pleading with other members to prod him into passing along the information. I've taken the opportunity to alert our esteemed leader Ralph to this [[Yes, I'm the resident snitch.) and let him handle it- or not handle it- as he sees fit.
    RanRan- I think you're correct to alert Ralph. While we are allowed to express our opinions about artists, I thought it was forbidden to attack or try to out [[dox) other members. Perhaps the trash heap is at it again?