[REMOVE ADS]

Billboard's Top 5 Girl Groups Of All Time,The Supremes Are Number 1

In this weeks Billboad magazine,they gave out,the top 5 girl groups,of all time,and The Supremes are number 1,i wish i knew,how to post the article,i don't lol,it's a good article.

Thanks for sharing redhot & jobeterob! And no matter what, The Supremes will always be the Number 1 Girl Group in out hearts.

Confirmation bias... confirms what I already knew Also, Martha and the Vandellas are number 10. I would have put them at #2, but happy they made the list.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Confirmation bias... confirms what I already knew Also, Martha and the Vandellas are number 10. I would have put them at #2, but happy they made the list.
    It was based on Billboard performance, but I'm glad they made the list. This was actually a very good list. With the exception of Destiny's Child, I'm a fan of all of the groups.

Wasn't there a group named "The Three Degrees" in the seventies?

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    Yes but due to climate change they are now known as "The Ninety Degrees".

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Yes but due to climate change they are now known as "The Ninety Degrees".
    Brilliant! Thanks for making me smile!

I see TLC has a new album; don't know how it's doing

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I see TLC has a new album; don't know how it's doing
    It hit #1 R&B on iTunes; last I checked, it was holding strong at #20. Not sure about Billboard.

Incidentally, my s.o. and I were front row at their "Today" show appearance a month ago. Even got some face time! [[TLC are to him what The Supremes are to me.)
    Last edited by sansradio; 07-15-2017 at 01:34 AM.

They have been around in various forms since the 60's. They were huge in the UK and Europe in the 70's and early 80's, and still tour regularly and occasionally record. Founder member Val Holliday is a friend of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    They have been around in various forms since the 60's. They were huge in the UK and Europe in the 70's and early 80's, and still tour regularly and occasionally record. Founder member Val Holliday is a friend of mine.
    Cool! Around 73/74 they were huge in Japan to.

The Three Degrees were outstanding. They were HUGE overseas but here at home seemed to do just enough to stay relevant. Had I been alive and of age at the time, where female groups are concerned I don't think any group would have attracted my attention like the Pointer Sisters, the Three Degrees and Love Unlimited. Even my 70s Supremes don't get me as excited CONSISTENTLY as those three groups do.

Valerie Holiday is not a founding member of the Three Degrees. The group was started in 1963. Val joined around 1967.

It would be interesting to see a U.K equivalent top ten. From a British point of view it's incredible not to see The Three Degrees, The Spice Girls or even Bananarama. But no one would argue with 'The Girls' being number 1.

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    It would be interesting to see a U.K equivalent top ten. From a British point of view it's incredible not to see The Three Degrees, The Spice Girls or even Bananarama. But no one would argue with 'The Girls' being number 1.
    Yeah that would be interesting. I only know one song by the Spice Girls from around 1998.

Fayette Pinkey, Linda Turner and Shirley Porter were the original members. There was a Three Degree thread here for a long time a few years ago. They are touring U.K. Japan and Netherlands starting in August.
    Last edited by luke; 07-16-2017 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Fayette Pinkey, Linda Turner and Shirley Porter were the original members. There was a Three Degree thread here for a long time a few years ago. They are touring U.K. Japan and Netherlands starting in August.
    I remember there was huge, long and on going thread on the 3 Degrees by the guy from France.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yeah that would be interesting. I only know one song by the Spice Girls from around 1998.
    You are very fortunate! i was involved in the promotion of them for a couple of years and am ashamed to say i can reel off around 10 of their songs. Oh dear i need to lie down................

You are very fortunate! i was involved in the promotion of them for a couple of years and am ashamed to say i can reel off around 10 of their songs. Oh dear i need to lie down................
    there was a strong tradition for girls group in UK, The Runaways, Dooleys, Nolans, Bananarama, Spice Girls. They all had their moment in Europe and Japan, if not in the USA.
    From Germany, Arabesque was huge in Japan but they never established a career elsewhere.

Of all these, only the Supremes and Spice Girls are iconic, on for the best the other the worst.

there was a strong tradition for girls group in UK, The Runaways, Dooleys, Nolans, Bananarama, Spice Girls. They all had their moment in Europe and Japan, if not in the USA.
    From Germany, Arabesque was huge in Japan but they never established a career elsewhere.

Of all these, only the Supremes and Spice Girls are iconic, on for the best the other the worst.
    Eternal were pretty good.They had numerous hits in the UK in the 90's including the no.1 hit duet with the magnificent Be Be Winans "wanna be the only one".
    As regards the Dooleys they were actually a family group consisting of brothers and sisters rather than just girls..

Love the Three Degrees; their 'Maybe' lp, purchased at Korvette's at 34th St in NYC, is a lifelong favorite. You give that Val a BIG thanks from me for her contribution to American popular music. Love her / their sound; like Labelle [[the group) it's instantly recognizable.