[REMOVE ADS]

Question for record collectors...

In your opinion, what is the hardest standard release Motown LP/LPs to find in mono from the 1968 switch over to stereo only standard releases? It took me years to find a mono copy of The Supremes Join The Temptations, and I know many others are looking for a US copy of this title. I say standard release as I am not inquiring about the white label promo only releases in monaural for DJ's only, as most of us collectors know which of those titles are tougher to find.
    Thanks for any input!
    Darin

Name:  Join MONO.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  49.6 KB

The UK mono version of this album seems easily available. Is there any difference between the UK and US mono versions [[aside from artwork details)?

While I don't have any info about what Motown LPs from 1968 are the hardest to find in mono, I did read that record companies [[across the board) were phasing out mono LPs around this time. The record business was tiring of the costs having to produce records in both mono and stereo [[and the work of having to produce the different mixes as well). According to mysterysinger's post, it might be easier to find Motown's mono albums from 1968 in England [[where it took maybe a year or two to make the complete switchover to all stereo albums).

I found the most difficult USA mono album to find was 'United' by Marvin & Tammi.

I'm not sure mysterysinger, I don't collect foreign records so I have no idea if the cuts are different on the US vs. the UK release. I agree though, I've seen the mono UK versions available on Ebay most any time.

Thanks shoo-be-doo....Now I have another one to search for, as I do not have a mono "United" in my collection as of yet!
    Darin

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    While I don't have any info about what Motown LPs from 1968 are the hardest to find in mono, I did read that record companies [[across the board) were phasing out mono LPs around this time. The record business was tiring of the costs having to produce records in both mono and stereo [[and the work of having to produce the different mixes as well). According to mysterysinger's post, it might be easier to find Motown's mono albums from 1968 in England [[where it took maybe a year or two to make the complete switchover to all stereo albums).
    You can blame the home electronic/entertainment manufacturers for that. The folks that produced the stereo systems in those days have to take part of the blame.

Best info I have [[from Motown paperwork) is that a number of Motown 1968 LPs were issued in mono just as DJ copies, presumably for AM radio purposes. Those I'm aware of are

Tamla T282
    Tamla T284
    Tamla T285
    Tamla T286
    Gordy G926
    Gordy G928
    Gordy G930
    Gordy G931
    Gordy G932
    Motown M670
    Motown M672
    Motown M676
    Motown M677
    Soul S707
    Soul S711
    Tamla T291
    Soul S714

I'd be interested to know if any readers have commercial copies of these.

In the UK, Tamla-Motown continued to issue commercial mono LPs during 1968, so mysterysinger is right to say those should be easier to find.
    Last edited by keith_hughes; 07-15-2017 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    Best info I have [[from Motown paperwork) is that a number of Motown 1968 LPs were issued in mono just as DJ copies, presumably for AM radio purposes. Those I'm aware of are

Tamla T282
    Tamla T284
    Tamla T285
    Tamla T286
    Gordy G926
    Gordy G928
    Gordy G930
    Gordy G931
    Gordy G932
    Motown M670
    Motown M672
    Motown M676
    Motown M677
    Soul S707
    Soul S711
    Tamla T291
    Soul S714

In the UK, Tamla-Motown continued to issue commercial mono LPs during 1968, so mysterysinger is right to say those should be easier to find.
    Thanx Keith. I find it interesting that Diana Ross & The Supremes Join The Temptations actually came out in Mono in the US when the 3 earlier releases of Funny Girl, Live At Talk Of the Town and Love Child only had fold down mono dj releases.

Is Join only a commercial fold down or does it have some specific different mono mixes ?

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post

Tamla T282
    Tamla T284
    Tamla T285
    Tamla T286
    Gordy G926
    Gordy G928
    Gordy G930
    Gordy G931
    Gordy G932
    Motown M670
    Motown M672
    Motown M676
    Motown M677
    Soul S707
    Soul S711
    Tamla T291
    Soul S714

I have a commercial copy of "Diana Ross and the Supremes Join the Temptations, but have never played it.

I also have mono dj copies of FUNNY GIRL by the Supremes and FEELIN' BLUESY by Gladys Knight and the Pips.

Thanks Keith for the information. I will look over my collection and see if I have any mono copies of these that are not white label DJ promos.
    I have a few more mono DJ WLP's not on your list. I have the WLP DJ of the Temptations "I Wish It Would Rain" G927, as well as Motown M668 "16 Hits Vol. 9" and M669 "Yesterday's Dreams" by the Four Tops.
    The "Silk N Soul" S711 is available in a WLP but is stereo, not mono.
    Also, it surprises me that Soul S714 by The Monitors is on your list, being so much later of a release. I know there is a mono UK version, but I've never seen a US mono DJ copy listed anywhere?
    Thanks again,
    Darin
    Last edited by DWSheffer; 07-16-2017 at 09:24 AM.

Also, Tamla T291 "For Once In My Life" is also a stereo WLP, not mono.
    Darin

DW, I would expect that if your WLP of "For Once In My Life" is stereo, then it has catalogue number TS291. Am I right? Same goes for other WLPs that are stereo. My list indicates that there are [[or were) mono WLPs in existence with the catalogue #s as shown. Of course there may be stereo as well as mono promos of all the above, but I'd expect the stereos to have an "S" in the cat #.

Or are saying that Motown were not as careful with their numbering as I thought, sometimes leaving out the "S" when the pressing was stereo?

Hi Keith,
    You are correct, both of the records I mentioned that are stereo WLP's use the TS or SS prefix with "DJ" after the album number.

I am surprised to see the titles I mentioned above on your list of those available in mono DJ white labels. All WLP DJ copies of Tamla 291 or Soul 711 I've ever seen have been stereo WLP's. There is a website I use www.popsike.com that has years and years of sales history of any record you can think of. I checked both of these titles and only find sales of stereo WLP's for either in the last 10 years. I am certainly here to learn though, and if there's a possibility these titles exist in mono I will certainly keep an eye out!
    Darin

Soul 709 is another mono white label DJ promo LP - Shorty Long's Here Comes The Judge. To me, the most outstanding track is "Don't Mess With My Weekend." It's an alternate track and has actual thunderclaps throughout the song. Those mono LP's have a lot of surprises between them and the commercial stereo albums.