[REMOVE ADS]

Motown on TV in the 60's

We have been treated to some incredible TV performances over the past year or so. Roostertail performances in particular seem to be highly thought of.

For all you guys who saw the Motown acts perform on TV in those vintage years, are there any TV performances that you remember that you are still hoping to see again.

Did the Supremes sing Lovelight, Where Did Our Love Go...or the Vandellas In My Lonely Room, Quicksand....and the list goes on

I'd love to see the Marvelettes performing 'Hunter', 'Magician' 'Danger' & 'I'll Keep Holding On'

I'd like to see Gladys Knight & the Pips performing "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" on the Bob Hope Show from Vietnam from late 1967.

I would like to see one of the Supremes performances of "nathan jones". I know this is the 70's so i am not taking too many liberties.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I would like to see one of the Supremes performances of "nathan jones". I know this is the 70's so i am not taking too many liberties.
    At the least the audio from the johnny Carson show did surface. Not sure if the actual video exists

The Supremes did Lovelight on the TAMI show didn't they

The footage to The Supremes on the Tonight Show with host Joe Namath in early June 1971 has long been destroyed but I did stay up to see it...46 years ago. I always wanted to see them lip-sync it just because the recording was so fantastic. I've heard they performed it on a Cilla Black show but I don't know if it was live or lip. I don't know why they didn't appear but once on Ed Sullivan who was still on the air until Sept. 1971 but his ratings were dropping and tv was changing. [[I think he may not have let them perform Stoned Love though...calling Jean Morrison...

Quote Originally Posted by dickiemint View Post
    The Supremes did Lovelight on the TAMI show didn't they
    Yep - it kicked off their medley followed by Run Run Run, Baby Love & Where Did our Love Go.

I think one of their compilation DVDs also had a performance of Lovelight [[from Dutch TV maybe?) along with Let Me Go The Right Way.

I would still like to see a DVD quality copy of the Ready-Steady-Go 'Sounds of Motown' special released someday [[I have the original VHS still of course).

They performed it live on the Cilla Black show in the UK. The footage is believed to still exist. My friend has been trying to locate it for around 2 years. They also performed another song on the show but i cannot recall it at the moment. I was only just getting into my Motown at this time, but i vaguely recall watching it with my friend and his elder brother who was a big Supremes fan.Hopefully we will be able to post the footage soon.

I would love to see the TCB Special with Diana Ross & the Supremes & The Temptations again. While I have seen them many times on television [[on various shows), this show was a landmark. It NEEDS to come out on DVD [[along with the RSG Special, The Sounds of Motown).

Here you go, Motown Eddie [[hope you can see it wherever you are):

Is there ANY existing television footage of the Marvelettes performing live? There's the Apollo footage and that seems to be about it...everything else seems to be lip synced.

Do you think any recordings of The Monitors performing in the '60s exists? They recorded some absolutely amazing stuff and even had a minor hit yet there seems to be no footage of them performing at all. I'd luuurve to see some

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    Is there ANY existing television footage of the Marvelettes performing live? There's the Apollo footage and that seems to be about it...everything else seems to be lip synced.
    They sang live to track when they performed DON'T MESS WITH BILL on HULLABALOO.

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    There's footage of them on "Swingin' Time" a local Canadian dance show out of Windsor Ontario.

Does anyone know of any ELGINS footage available for viewing?

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Does anyone know of any ELGINS footage available for viewing?

Also from CKLW's "Swingin' Time" they are all on Youtube. I can post them later here if you like.

These are all from Swingin' Time a local show I use to watch on Channel 9 Windsor CKLW.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Ah! Thanks for this. I had forgotten all about it!

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    They sang live to track when they performed DON'T MESS WITH BILL on HULLABALOO.
    I thought that may have been the case. It was hard to tell because the backing track was studio, but there was no Andantes!

Also from CKLW's "Swingin' Time" they are all on Youtube. I can post them later here if you like.
    You're the main man. Thank you for providing these shows. I will watch each and every one. The Elgins were a great group that never reached the popularity that they should have. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Here you go, Motown Eddie [[hope you can see it wherever you are):

Thanks a lot Sansradio! Seeing this again really brought back memories. I still feel that TCB [[and the other Supremes & Temptations Special, On Broadway) should be released on DVD/Blu-Ray.

There are a lot of great TV performances from Motown's artists in the '60s. I would love for UMe to get back to the 'Definitive Performances' DVD series that they launched year ago [[with new entries from Martha & the Vandellas, The Marvelettes, The Jackson 5 and others).

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Thanks a lot Sansradio! Seeing this again really brought back memories. I still feel that TCB [[and the other Supremes & Temptations Special, On Broadway) should be released on DVD/Blu-Ray.
    Anytime, Motown Eddie!

I, like others here, own bootlegs of the two Diana/Sups/Tempts specials [[as well as things like Goin' Back to Indiana and Diana! [1971]). What else are us diehards supposed to do [[especially since YouTube tends to zap them so regularly)? Of course, you're absolutely right that all of the above and more deserve aboveground releases, but, in the meantime, I have no compunction about "making do."
    Last edited by sansradio; 07-14-2017 at 01:29 PM.

I would like to see a clean copy [[without the tracking numbers) of the Smokey Robinson Special.

Wonder if the four tops ever did YESTERDAY'S DREAMS, I'M IN A DIFFERENT WORLD, WITHOUT THE ONE YOU LOVE or WHAT IS A MAN live.

Quote Originally Posted by biggestfourtops fan View Post
    Wonder if the four tops ever did YESTERDAY'S DREAMS, I'M IN A DIFFERENT WORLD, WITHOUT THE ONE YOU LOVE or WHAT IS A MAN live.
    They appeared on the Mike Douglas Show around that time, so maybe.

They appeared on the Mike Douglas Show around that time, so maybe.
    That'd be a dream come true to see that.

Motown stars appeared on most local / syndicated TV music shows back in the 60's ... Upbeat, the Beat, Buddy Deane Show, Kerby Scott Show + many, many more.
    Attachment 13299
    Attachment 13300

A friend of mine, Ila Vann, performed on Upbeat in the 60's. I contacted the owners of the masters to see if her performance still existed. Unfortunately, most of the tapes were re-used and taped over, erasing the original shows.

Quote Originally Posted by motown01 View Post
    A friend of mine, Ila Vann, performed on Upbeat in the 60's. I contacted the owners of the masters to see if her performance still existed. Unfortunately, most of the tapes were re-used and taped over, erasing the original shows.
    I use to do that too with my own private VHS tapes back in the 80s. I stopped taping over things though around 87' and keep the rest in storage. I hate to think about all the great, now historic performances that have gotten lost because of the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    Motown stars appeared on most local / syndicated TV music shows back in the 60's ... Upbeat, the Beat, Buddy Deane Show, Kerby Scott Show + many, many more.
    Attachment 13299
    Attachment 13300
    Great pictures JSmith and thank you for sharing them!

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    The footage to The Supremes on the Tonight Show with host Joe Namath in early June 1971 has long been destroyed but I did stay up to see it...46 years ago. I always wanted to see them lip-sync it just because the recording was so fantastic. I've heard they performed it on a Cilla Black show but I don't know if it was live or lip. I don't know why they didn't appear but once on Ed Sullivan who was still on the air until Sept. 1971 but his ratings were dropping and tv was changing. [[I think he may not have let them perform Stoned Love though...calling Jean Morrison...
    The Ed Sullivan Show may have been on the air until early September, 1971, however television seasons usually ended Memorial Day weekend the end of May and summer was always repeat episodes. I'm also not sure how many weeks ahead that the Sullivan show taped, which probably means that there wasn't time enough to get them on for Nathan Jones. Having a feeling that Sullivan declined Stoned Love based on the connotations.

Quote Originally Posted by greg jones View Post
    The Ed Sullivan Show may have been on the air until early September, 1971, however television seasons usually ended Memorial Day weekend the end of May and summer was always repeat episodes. I'm also not sure how many weeks ahead that the Sullivan show taped, which probably means that there wasn't time enough to get them on for Nathan Jones. Having a feeling that Sullivan declined Stoned Love based on the connotations.
    I remember in the year leading up to the cancellation of the Ed Sullivan Show that we all kind of considered it "square tv" LOL! I mean, we had all grown up in the 60s [[and 50s) watching it every Sunday night with your Mom and Dad and family. It just wasn't cool anymore with the Broadway performers, Vegas comedians, animal acts and assorted musical acts by 1970.

Baltimore TV ... July 67 ...
    Attachment 13301