[REMOVE ADS]

United Sound Systems studio now a historical site.

Excellent news. Thank you for posting

JUST CURIOUS. How many forum members have been to the United Sound Systems studio in Detroit? I was there many years ago when Willie Davis was the Vice President. He graciously spent nearly two hours talking with me and giving me an excellent tour of the facility.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    JUST CURIOUS. How many forum members have been to the United Sound Systems studio in Detroit? I was there many years ago when Willie Davis was the Vice President. He graciously spent nearly two hours talking with me and giving me an excellent tour of the facility.
    You I have probably driven past it for years and never thought to stop and go inside. This great news for United Sound Systems and for Detroit.

And so it should be!

Great news, and thanks to those involved in securing its status.

Cheers

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You I have probably driven past it for years and never thought to stop and go inside. This great news for United Sound Systems and for Detroit.
    Hi Marv, didn't Aretha use this facility for most of her Detroit recordings?

I was driven around Detroit , with a view to see Gordy mansion, Levis' house, Aretha's etc....a soul tour as such.
    I remember our guide/driver pointing out a building and saying that it was Don Davis' studio, and being told that a deal had been struck to release a lot of his old stuff. Months later Goldmine issued several CDs of Groovesville tracks !!
    I presume this was United.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Hi Marv, didn't Aretha use this facility for most of her Detroit recordings?
    Yes this one and Sound Suite Studios.

And before that, a huge amount of commercials, jingles, industrial films [[Remember this was the car capital of the world!) were recorded there also. I remember my dad driving us down 2nd Ave to that place where I would observe him playing those dates. It was so convenient for him between the Wayne campus and WXYZ in which he was an on-staff musician at the Maccabees building. United did a huge amount of work.
    I actually sang 2 commercials there as a kid. It would probably work best as an arm of WSU and thus receive Freeway expansion protection.
    The current litigation does not bode well for it's future. The Neve V Console is cool and this place could really live again!