[REMOVE ADS]

Studio A vs Studio B

Awhile back I was searching through DFTMC and noticed that pretty much every song I looked up after 1966 was recorded at Golden World. Was there a point when Motown stopped using the original recording studio prior to shutting down Detroit operations altogether? And if so, when was that?

I think that most of the backing tracks, I.e. rhythm, were done at A Hitsville.
    Golden World B was mainly sweetening...strings, overdubs, vocal backgrounds etc.
    Apparently some producers were superstitious about using A, where the earlier hits were recorded.

Thanks Snakepit. That makes sense.

Snake has it right. Record producers can be as superstitious as baseball players. I actually talked Frank Wilson into using GW for a rhythm date when he was hot to get into the studio and Studio A was booked solid. He liked what he got out of there but would never use GW again, returning to the iconic Studio A.

Thanks Ralph. Superstition is famous in sports but I never knew music had it's own battle with it too. So interesting.

Interesting question, RanRan!

So when DFTMC states something was recorded at 'Hitsville GW' it could mean just that the strings and overdubs etc were done there....?
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 06-22-2017 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Snake has it right. Record producers can be as superstitious as baseball players. I actually talked Frank Wilson into using GW for a rhythm date when he was hot to get into the studio and Studio A was booked solid. He liked what he got out of there but would never use GW again, returning to the iconic Studio A.
    I have a pair of socks for you.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Interesting question, RanRan!

So when DFTMC states something was recorded at 'Hitsville GW' it could mean just that the strings and overdubs etc were done there....?
    That's what I assumed. Wasn't Golden World a bigger studio so it was easier for strings to be recorded there?

I figured if the tracks were done by the Funk Brothers, it wouldn't matter what studio they recorded in.