[REMOVE ADS]

smark21 Guest

Touch by The Jackson 5

Did you know that the Jackson 5 covered JMC's "Touch"?

Yes, of course I know, smark. You're a Motown fan or you're not, right?
    By the way, the J5's Touch track is too Osmondish for me. And the first lines [["Reach out and touch...") is a hilarious attempt to charm a certain lady and their record company's boss.

The song was very controversial within the Jackson family. Kathrine was reportedly extremely upset over it's inclusion on the "Skywriter" album, and that it was slated for release as a single. It was ultimately cancelled.

The song came at a time when the Jackson 5 was going through a transitional period. They were getting too old to sing fluff like "ABC", yet still somewhat inappropriate for them [[Michael) to do songs like "Touch", which they did anyway. Motown was dealing with their image, and Michael's voice changing. Motown eventually did find a way on the next album "Git It Together". The brothers wanted to do funk like the Isley Brothers and Earth Wind & Fire. They sort of got their wish with that title track, and with "I Am Love" on "Moving Violation". They wouldn't get a chance again until 1978 when they released "Destiny" on Epic Records.

I thought it was an odd or peculiar song for the Jackson 5 to cover. Young Michael sounds like he has no clue of what he's singing about. Plus, it's a song BEST SUITED for a female IMO.

honest man Guest
    The Originals also recorded this song, i think-know for sure, cheers.

topdiva1 Guest
    Wow - did not know that - it sounds ok as an album filler and a nod of respect to Mary, Jean, and Cindy, as well as Frank Wilson. I would label it as "Cute", the "reach Out" takes it slightly over the top in a funny - let's not piss Diana Ross off mode" LOL - Cute - no more no less.

No harm - no foul.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    The Originals also recorded this song, i think-know for sure, cheers.
    Well remembered.....Communique. I might have that on an Italian 45 at some point...I might still have it.

soulster
    "i am love" was on dancing machine lp 1974,moving violation lp was 1975.

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    soulster
    "i am love" was on dancing machine lp 1974,moving violation lp was 1975.
    Oops! My bad! I should have double checked first. I have all of the albums, but I rarely listen to them after "Git It Together".

easy to do,i've been there too!more than once aswell.
    imo the rest of your post was spot on btw

I do love the Supremes version but the Jackson 5 do a good job with this as well. Jermaine and Michael always sounded good on record as a duet.

MissLish Guest
    Miss Lish continues to await a version of Touch that she will enjoy.

THE SUPREMES MARY CINDY and JEAN are great on TOUCH,[[it should have been a hit)And i also enjoyed THE JACKSON 5 version,I love when MICHEAL put reach out,in it,I felt, he was giving a tribute to THE 4 TOPS,REACH OUT[[I'LL BE THERE).
    Please stay positive