[REMOVE ADS]

Brenda's "When I'm Gone".....

Can anyone enlighten me on what the differences are between the "Detroit Version" of Brenda Holloway's "When I'm Gone" versus the "West Coast" version? I have read enough over the years to know the difference between the two copies of Tamla 54111. The DM WXL numbered single is supposed to be the Detroit version, while the WXB is the other. I have two copies of the DM WXL record, but not the other as of yet. I have listened to Ebay snippets of the WXB disc and cannot discern what the difference is, so can someone tell me what I'm listening for, lol?
    Thanks for any comments!
    Darin

As far as I was aware, there was never a version cut in L.A released by Brenda Holloway.

The backing track used on Tamla 5411 was the same as the Mary Wells version, which was cut in Detroit.

The truncated DM [[Duplicate Master) code letters you posted show the producer of the song [[first letter) which is Smokey Robinson, the second is the recording engineer [[Tom Nixon), and the third is the mix engineer, L being chief engineer Laurence Horn on the first, and Berry Gordy on the second [[B).

Usually a track cut in L.A. or outside of Hitsville, would have a 'Q' letter code [[unknown) for the recording engineer and sometimes the mix engineer if it was mixed elsewhere also.

[[Prior to 1965, the DM code just had the mix engineer letter only).

The fact that Smokey & Tom Nixon's code letters are on both released pressings indicate that it was cut in Detroit, and used the same backing track, the only difference in this case being who it was mixed by.

Below are the full DM codes for Tamla 5411 which include the DM tape reel numbers: -

DM WXL-114312

DM WXB-118209

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by bradburger; 06-04-2017 at 06:22 PM.

As I don't have the session details/dates both versions of WIG, I took a look at the excellent 'Don't Forget The Motor City', and the 'P-Funk Portal' sites to check them.

Here are the session/recording details for both versions: -

Mary Wells version: -

May 6, 1964 Hitsville U.S.A. Studio A, Detroit, MI
    Track recorded

May 11, 1964 Hitsville U.S.A. Studio A, Detroit, MI
    Vocal overdubbed
    Brenda Holloway version: -

May 6, 1964 Hitsville U.S.A. Studio A, Detroit, MI Assigned to and recorded by Mary Wells

January 5, 1965 Hitsville U.S.A. Studio A, Detroit, MI Re-assigned to Brenda Holloway, Overdubs recorded

January 7, 1965 Hitsville U.S.A. Studio A, Detroit, MI Overdubs recorded

January 9, 1965 Hitsville U.S.A. Studio A, Detroit, MI String Overdubs

January 12, 1965 Hitsville U.S.A. Studio A, Detroit, MI Overdubs recorded
    And from DFTMC: -

When I'm Gone [[William Robinson) published Jobete 01-Jun-64

Mary Wells; recorded Hitsville, completed 11-May-64 ; produced by Smokey Robinson

[unreleased]; 45 [[M): Motown M 1061 A
    16-Nov-66; LP [[M): Motown M653 Vintage Stock
    16-Nov-66; LP [[S): Motown S653 Vintage Stock
    Oct-68; LP [[M): Tamla Motown TML11077 Motown Memories Vol. 2 [UK]
    Brenda Holloway; recorded Hitsville, completed 12-Jan-65 ; produced by Smokey Robinson ; [2nd odb, odb on Mary Wells]

[unreleased]; LP [[M): Tamla T263 Hurtin' And Cryin'
    Feb-65; 45 [[M): Tamla TM 54111 A [1st pressing] [1st mix]
    09-Feb-65; 45 [[M): Tamla TM 54111 A [2nd pressing] [2nd mix
    Aug-66; LP [[S): Motown S651 A Collection Of 16 Original Big Hits Vol. 5
    Aug-66; LP [[M): Motown M651 A Collection Of 16 Original Big Hits Vol. 5
    01-Jul-91; CD [[E): Motown MOTD 5452 A Collection Of 16 Original Big Hits Vol. 5
    Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by bradburger; 06-04-2017 at 06:20 PM.

Thanks for the info Paul....I understand then the info below is illustrating the 2 mixes. It's odd to me to think that the mixes would be exactly the same, being mixed by 2 different people, but I'm a layman when it comes to being very specific on these recordings! This would however explain why I can't discern any differences between the two from what I've heard so far.

Brenda Holloway; recorded Hitsville, completed 12-Jan-65 ; produced by Smokey Robinson ; [2nd odb, odb on Mary Wells]

Feb-65; 45 [[M): Tamla TM 54111 A [1st pressing] [1st mix]
    09-Feb-65; 45 [[M): Tamla TM 54111 A [2nd pressing] [2nd mix]

Did the Andantes do the backgrounds?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Did the Andantes do the backgrounds?
    Sounds like it to me Luke.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    The main difference I hear is on the Holloway version the Detroit Strings lay down an incredible performance

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    The main difference I hear is on the Holloway version the Detroit Strings lay down an incredible performance

From a quick listen, I'd describe the second version mix as drier than the first, giving greater clarity to the individual elements. The fade on the second version is also less steep and goes on a few seconds longer. It's not a night and day thing.

Omg! Those strings were killing it! Also, that had to be Benny on drums! His pickups were lightning fast. If ever there was a Motown Sound record this was and still is IT!!

I agree, the strings are the one thing that I distinctly remember from when it was first played on the radio back then.

sounds like the original track is 'speeded up" then strings are added.