[REMOVE ADS]

Yvonne Fair Funky Music Sho Nuff Turns Me on

I remember sometime back one of our collegues posted a video of this amazing track. I have been listening to this album recently and I'm unable to find the liner notes I had with it. I don't remember Marvin Gaye being mentioned in it, it Marvin in Funky Music ? if it is Marvin anyone know how he put in an appearance?
    In my opinion Yvonne version of Funky Music is by far the best.

Hey Paul, I love this track too! I think I have to go with Edwin Starr's utterly funked-up original version but I love Yvonne's too.

I do believe it is Marvin Gaye on backing vocals but I'm not quite sure how or why he got there. Of course it was Norman Whitfield who produced the song so that's probably how he got there!!

Here is Yvonne's fantastic performance of "Funky Music" on Soul Train:

The Yvonne 'Bitch' album remains a killer. Great clip, Tom - thanks. Do we bless or blame Yvonne for inventing the twerk?!
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 05-31-2017 at 08:29 PM.

Yes, it is definitely Marvin Gaye, the first voice you hear on "Funky Music." I don't believe he is credited on the album though, as I recall.

What a great album, too. I always wonder if they have more on Yvonne Fair in the Motown vaults. Does anyone know?

Yvonne Fair was a great singer. Her version of 'It Should Have Been Me' was a big hit in Australia and she toured out here on the strength of it. I got to see her perform in cabaret and she was great. I recall that her act included a rather funky rendition of the Neil Sedaka/Captain and Tenille track 'Love Will Keep Us Together'!

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmo View Post
    Yvonne Fair was a great singer. Her version of 'It Should Have Been Me' was a big hit in Australia and she toured out here on the strength of it. I got to see her perform in cabaret and she was great. I recall that her act included a rather funky rendition of the Neil Sedaka/Captain and Tenille track 'Love Will Keep Us Together'!
    It was a huge hit in the UK too. It went top 5 pop if i recall correctly. Great version of a great song, and i do believe there is more material in the vaults.
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 06-01-2017 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Not finished my post

According to the liner notes of the CD, the uncredited vocals of Marvin Gaye were "pre-recorded," thus not specifically recorded for the Yvonne Fair version--but yes, it works really well and gives the track just that extra push.

From Yvonne Fair interview 1975 courtesy of Blues and Soul.".

The initial sides the team cut included Yvonne's versions of two of Norman's compositions — "Funky Music" and "Let Your Hair Down" and both proved successful sides for the lady on the R&B charts. "You know Marvin Gaye was on the beginning of 'Funky Music' and I have to say how grateful I am to him for contributing to the record. He felt that DJ's might play the record out of curiosity to see if it was him and they did!" The material for the album was selected basically by Norman but Yvonne says that he "told me if there were particular sides I wanted to do, we could cut them. So we had "It Should Have Been Me" — which always goes down well in my stage act — and "Tell Me Something Good" — although you can see we did that a different way from the way Rufus did it." Some of the tracks on the album were produced by some of Motown's other renowned teams — there's Gloria Jones/Pam Sawyer's contribution in "It's Bad For Me To See You" [[a song also cut by Betty Wright some time back) and Clay McMurray with the Barbara George classic, "I Know" — all of which suggests that Yvonne Fair has more than her share of material 'in the can'.

Yvonne's album is fantastic. I never really heard it until the CD was released. Am I the only one who thinks the title may have prevented many people from buying the album?

Thanks MIKEW-UK, great article.

thommg - I think you're probably right about the title may have held the album back

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    The Yvonne 'Bitch' album remains a killer. Great clip, Tom - thanks. Do we bless or blame Yvonne for inventing the twerk?!
    Yes indeed, PnH, it sure is! And you're welcome

And as for the twerking.... haaa... I'm not sure

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    From Yvonne Fair interview 1975 courtesy of Blues and Soul.

The initial sides the team cut included Yvonne's versions of two of Norman's compositions — "Funky Music" and "Let Your Hair Down" and both proved successful sides for the lady on the R&B charts. "You know Marvin Gaye was on the beginning of 'Funky Music' and I have to say how grateful I am to him for contributing to the record. He felt that DJ's might play the record out of curiosity to see if it was him and they did!" The material for the album was selected basically by Norman but Yvonne says that he "told me if there were particular sides I wanted to do, we could cut them. So we had "It Should Have Been Me" — which always goes down well in my stage act — and "Tell Me Something Good" — although you can see we did that a different way from the way Rufus did it." Some of the tracks on the album were produced by some of Motown's other renowned teams — there's Gloria Jones/Pam Sawyer's contribution in "It's Bad For Me To See You" [[a song also cut by Betty Wright some time back) and Clay McMurray with the Barbara George classic, "I Know" — all of which suggests that Yvonne Fair has more than her share of material 'in the can'.
    Ah, interesting. Thanks for this, Mike

There is another performance by Yvonne from the same Soul Train appearance [[same get up and level of FUNKINESS)... this one is of "Walk Out The Door If You Wanna" which is, as Gary would say, HOT!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It was a huge hit in the UK too. It went top 5 pop if i recall correctly. Great version of a great song, and i do believe there is more material in the vaults.
    Yes indeed, Bluebrock, it peaked at #5 on the UK Singles Charts! Rightfully so!!!

Unfortunately I think Tamla Motown might have been a bit surprised at the huge success of "It Should Have Been Me"... I think they followed it up with Yvonne's version of "It's Bad For Me To See You" which completely missed the charts... what do you think would have been a good follow-up hit?

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    There is another performance by Yvonne from the same Soul Train appearance [[same get up and level of FUNKINESS)... this one is of "Walk Out The Door If You Wanna" which is, as Gary would say, HOT!!!!

Excellent one also. Most interesting is the genuine crowd enthusiasm for Yvonne; sometimes the ST dancers appeared a tad 'whatever' about the acts on stage but they really seem into these performances. I'll have to give a listen this weekend to my Reel Music reissue of TBIB - was this song on it? The liner notes to that release are excellent as well - Fair had quite a tumultuous life and according to Wikipedia died from 'undisclosed causes'.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Excellent one also. Most interesting is the genuine crowd enthusiasm for Yvonne; sometimes the ST dancers appeared a tad 'whatever' about the acts on stage but they really seem into these performances. I'll have to give a listen this weekend to my Reel Music reissue of TBIB - was this song on it? The liner notes to that release are excellent as well - Fair had quite a tumultuous life and according to Wikipedia died from 'undisclosed causes'.
    Yes it is on the album. The CD mastering is excellent. I just wish it had some bonus tracks. But it's a must have, regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Yvonne's album is fantastic. I never really heard it until the CD was released. Am I the only one who thinks the title may have prevented many people from buying the album?
    I doubt it. I think the title was a play on "The Bitch is Back" by Elton John, and gave it a kind of underground funky vibe. The album didn't get a lot of attention on mainstream radio but it was a hit in the clubs and certainly the standout tracks got played a lot there. It was the kind of album which word of mouth helped sell.

Oh, just in case some may not be aware, Yvonne does have a few tracks on the James Brown "Funky Divas" compilation including the original version of "I Got You [[I Feel Good)" which is slightly reworded and different from James' more popular version and I think has a different title [[maybe "I Found You"?).

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Yes indeed, Bluebrock, it peaked at #5 on the UK Singles Charts! Rightfully so!!!

Unfortunately I think Tamla Motown might have been a bit surprised at the huge success of "It Should Have Been Me"... I think they followed it up with Yvonne's version of "It's Bad For Me To See You" which completely missed the charts... what do you think would have been a good follow-up hit?
    I think it did catch Motown UK off guard, but to be honest i loved Yvonne's version of IBFMTSY and was surprised that it only reached the mid 60's chartwise. Tony Blackburn played it a lot on his popular radio 1 show. Indeed i think he may have chosen it as his record of the week. In hindsight maybe "walk out the door" would have been a better follow up , but at the time i was more than happy with their choice. I think an expanded version of this album is well overdue. I would love to hear the stuff left in the vault.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I doubt it. I think the title was a play on "The Bitch is Back" by Elton John, and gave it a kind of underground funky vibe. The album didn't get a lot of attention on mainstream radio but it was a hit in the clubs and certainly the standout tracks got played a lot there. It was the kind of album which word of mouth helped sell.
    I was aware of the play on Elton John's title, but coupled with the picture chosen for the cover, it seemed so much more risque [[at the time). And, after all the people who have recorded It Should Have Been Me, Yvonne still owns that song. Owns it.

I think they should have followed 'It Should Have Been Me' with the release of 'Stay a Little Longer' not sure if it was released in the UK in 1970 if it was then they should have re-released it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I think it did catch Motown UK off guard, but to be honest i loved Yvonne's version of IBFMTSY and was surprised that it only reached the mid 60's chartwise. Tony Blackburn played it a lot on his popular radio 1 show. Indeed i think he may have chosen it as his record of the week. In hindsight maybe "walk out the door" would have been a better follow up , but at the time i was more than happy with their choice. I think an expanded version of this album is well overdue. I would love to hear the stuff left in the vault.
    Yes, definitely, Bluebrock. I would love unreleased Yvonne Fair tracks.

I do like Yvonne's "It's Bad For Me To See You" and it does have a similar feel to "It Should Have Been Me". It could have been a moderate hit. But yea, "Walk Out The Door" really screams hit.

Quote Originally Posted by McMotown View Post
    I think they should have followed 'It Should Have Been Me' with the release of 'Stay a Little Longer' not sure if it was released in the UK in 1970 if it was then they should have re-released it.
    Paul, that is a wonderful suggestion and I completely agree with you. I believe "Stay A Little Longer" was only ever released as a single in the US [[not the UK) and that was back in 1971. It has an absolutely FANTASTIC build-up and would have been a great choice to follow "It Should Have Been Me". [[Plus the song was already on Yvonne's The Bitch Is Black album.)

I just can't believe it wasn't a hit in the US first time round...!

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I was aware of the play on Elton John's title, but coupled with the picture chosen for the cover, it seemed so much more risque [[at the time). And, after all the people who have recorded It Should Have Been Me, Yvonne still owns that song. Owns it.
    It certainly was edgy in terms of the cover. I have several of those "Album Cover Album" books, and in one of them they picture the Yvonne Fair cover along with some others including one of these by Betty Davis [[I don't remember which one), a singer whose albums I remember seeing in the stores but who I've never heard.

Name:  Betty_Davis.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  15.0 KB

Name:  Betty_Davis_Nasty_Gal.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  58.1 KB
    Last edited by kenneth; 06-03-2017 at 10:36 AM.

It certainly was edgy in terms of the cover. I have several of those "Album Cover Album" books, and in one of them they picture the Yvonne Fair cover along with some others including one of these by Betty Davis [[I don't remember which one), a singer whose albums I remember seeing in the stores but who I've never heard.

Name:  Betty_Davis.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  15.0 KB

Name:  Betty_Davis_Nasty_Gal.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  58.1 KB
    Oh, she's a certified badass, Kenneth. One of Miles Davis' ex-wives,
    she doesn't have a technically great voice at all, but she's as funky all get-out. Imagine Tina Turner on acid. They Say I'm Different is a great starting point; if you like tight, super-funky grooves, you can't go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Oh, she's a certified badass, Kenneth. One of Miles Davis' ex-wives,
    she doesn't have a technically great voice at all, but she's as funky all get-out. Imagine Tina Turner on acid. They Say I'm Different is a great starting point; if you like tight, super-funky grooves, you can't go wrong.
    Damn, that Miles Davis certainly got around, didn't he? I had no idea this was his wife. Wasn't he also married to Cicely Tyson, and Dionne Warwick at one point [[or maybe with Dionne just a girlfriend)? I'll have to check out Ms. Davis on Youtube! Thanks.

Damn, that Miles Davis certainly got around, didn't he? I had no idea this was his wife. Wasn't he also married to Cicely Tyson, and Dionne Warwick at one point [[or maybe with Dionne just a girlfriend)? I'll have to check out Ms. Davis on Youtube! Thanks.
    In addition being briefly married to Miles, Cicely Tyson appeared on the cover of his SORCERER album.

Never heard of a Miles-Dionne relationship. They definitely were not married.