[REMOVE ADS]

Candy to me-marvin could've sung it!!

Does eddie holland sound like marvin on this one or what?great song that would've been a hit for either artist.

Oh yeah, "Candy to Me" would have been perfect for Marvin at that time.

I assume that by this point Eddie Holland was an integral part of the HDH writing team. I always wondered was there serious consideration given to making him a solo star?

I think that eddie may have been thought of as a singer before the heyday of[h-d-h],according to otis he replaced eddie kendricks on one of the early temps recordings,they couldn't find kendricks and berry didn't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I think that eddie may have been thought of as a singer before the heyday of[h-d-h],according to otis he replaced eddie kendricks on one of the early temps recordings,they couldn't find kendricks and berry didn't wait.
    Yeah, Eddie was releasing singles from the very beginning at the label. I just wondered what was the point of releasing records on him at this point [[summer 1964) when HDH were the hottest writing team at the company.

To me, Eddie sounded far too much like Jackie Wilson to have been a singing sensation in his own right. My guess is that he might have been recorded at first precisely because he sounded like Jackie, with whom Gordy had experienced success. Jackie Wilson was such a unique powerhouse performer that Eddie could not have rivaled him.

I've always wondered if Gordy might have even signed Wilson, but Jackie was doing too well at Brunswick ever to jump ship there, so Eddie, as a "soundalike," might have been seen as the "next best thing" for the fledgling Motown, but that plan just didn't work, and eventually his success as part of the phenomenal HDH team quickly eclipsed any success he might have attained as a performer.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Does eddie holland sound like marvin on this one or what?great song that would've been a hit for either artist.
    Indeed it would have suited Marvin. And it's a track that's never far away from my all-time Motown top ten.

Go, Andantes!

I still play & love "Candy To Me" and "Leaving Here" both are great Motown with Andantes.

I love this song! Marvin would have been perfect for it too.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Oh yeah, "Candy to Me" would have been perfect for Marvin at that time.

I assume that by this point Eddie Holland was an integral part of the HDH writing team. I always wondered was there serious consideration given to making him a solo star?
    According to the notes from TCMS-1964, Eddie Holland had made up his mind years ago that he only wanted be a producer/songwriter. Eddie is quoted as saying that he only wanted to get two or three more hit records before giving up singing. He truly went out with a winner; "Candy To Me" is a great song.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I love this song! Marvin would have been perfect for it too.
    Agreed! Marvin Gaye would've been a great choice to do both "Candy To Me" as well as Eddie Holland's other 1964 hit, "Just Ain't Enough Love".

Always loved "I'm On The Outside Looking In" by Eddie Holland. The Funk Brothers are in full throttle and The Andantes are superb on this track.

honest man Guest
    Eddie's version of 4 tops I Like everything ..,brilliant singer-song,but so glad he stuck to songwriting,which way would Motown have gone hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Agreed! Marvin Gaye would've been a great choice to do both "Candy To Me" as well as Eddie Holland's other 1964 hit, "Just Ain't Enough Love".
    Just Ain't Enough love is great track and agree with Motown Eddie that Marvin would have done a great job onthis track

I think Eddie Holland sung on 'Check Yourself" I'm not positive but, it sure sounds like him. Especially the part where they sing "good times'.